Demo vs new - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 12:56 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
Demo vs new

Trying to minimize my expenses, I'm wondering if I should go for a demo 2012 9 gen auto Sport trim (equivalent to UK ES) with approx. 4,000 miles on the clock or get a brand new one.

Quoting DK prices makes no sense on a UK forum, but I can tell you the save on the demo would be 11 per cent of the price of a brand new MY 2013.

Hoping that Honda has ironed out the teething problems on the 2012 models, I tend to favor a brand new MY 13. Moreover, I know that 4,000 miles aren't anything to worry about as Honda build the most reliable engines , but I also know that demo cars are floored cold and with tight engines.

Also, the MY13 has HTF (phone/bluetooh integrated in the wheel- the MY 12 does not and I would present the service bulletins available on the 9gen to the garage and demand them to be carried out if I opted for a demo (for instance, the demo I drove had wind noise from left wing mirror).

Of course I loose one year on the total 3 year/ 62,000 miles warranty that we get in Denmark if I opt for a demo, and keeping the car for six years, warranty is good...
As for colour, I'm probably going to pick Alabaster or polished metal which are available as demos anyway.

What do you think?

Last edited by nicolaidenmark; 4th June 2013 at 12:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 13:17
Supporter

Nothing wrong with a Demo'.
They can be Very Good buys.
In the UK, dealers keep them for at least 6 months, so they don't get caught with the V.A.T. and the purchaser will therefore save on paying it.
So a car new at say 24k has 20% tax within it --- thats a decent saving.
I wouldn't worry about loosing one year of the warranty - it's a Honda and generally Dealerships don't let folk out on there own to hammer the life out of a car.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 13:20
Supporter

Car: 2013 2.2 EX GT (WOP)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaidenmark View Post
Trying to minimize my expenses, I'm wondering if I should go for a demo 2012 9 gen auto Sport trim (equivalent to UK ES) with approx. 4,000 miles on the clock or get a brand new one.

Quoting DK prices makes no sense on a UK forum, but I can tell you the save on the demo would be 11 per cent of the price of a brand new MY 2013.

Hoping that Honda has ironed out the teething problems on the 2012 models, I tend to favor a brand new MY 13. Moreover, I know that 4,000 miles aren't anything to worry about as Honda build the most reliable engines , but I also know that demo cars are floored cold and with tight engines.

Also, the MY13 has HTF (phone/bluetooh integrated in the wheel- the MY 12 does not and I would present the service bulletins available on the 9gen to the garage and demand them to be carried out if I opted for a demo (for instance, the demo I drove had wind noise from left wing mirror).

Of course I loose one year on the total 3 year/ 62,000 miles warranty that we get in Denmark if I opt for a demo, and keeping the car for six years, warranty is good...
As for colour, I'm probably going to pick Alabaster or polished metal which are available as demos anyway.

What do you think?

IMO its horses for courses... if your wallet allows for a new car then I would opt for the brand new one... its yours, only been driven by you and you and your car get to know each other from the offset.

But if savings are what you need then go for the ex demo but like you quite rightly said... the slightly older model wont have the updates such as the i-mid display updates etc and other minor detailing querks updated as in the new model. The current faults I am sure will be sorted by Honda before final purchase... but you may put all future minor faults down to previous drivers etc... this of course will naturally put doubt in your mind when driving (at least for the first few thousand miles).

11% buys you some peace of mind....

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 13:23
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack The Lad. View Post
In the UK, dealers keep them for at least 6 months, so they don't get caught with the V.A.T. and the purchaser will therefore save on paying it.
I wouldn't worry about loosing one year of the warranty - it's a Honda and generally Dealerships don't let folk out on there own to hammer the life out of a car.
You have a valid point
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 13:51
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Check out the various posts regarding the upgrades to be found on the MY13 over the MY12.

If things like DAB and a partially crippled iMid don't bother you then your call.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 13:59
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Quote:
3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Check out the various posts regarding the upgrades to be found on the MY13 over the MY12.

If things like DAB and a partially crippled iMid don't bother you then your call.
As above, check the spec differences between the two cars, sometimes there are no changes mid model year, other times, as with the UK ES spec, the changes can be considerable.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 14:05
Pothole Surfer

Car: 2008 VW Golf R32
My last 2 Honda's have been ex demo's. Definately something to consider as you lose a huge portion of the cars initial value just driving it off the forecourt.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 14:26
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashformayor View Post
My last 2 Honda's have been ex demo's. Definately something to consider as you lose a huge portion of the cars initial value just driving it off the forecourt.
My last two Hondas have been x demo's, and have made quite a saving, horses for courses
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 15:00
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,011 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Since demo vehicles are test driven, only issue i have with them is someone they may have grinded the gears or had BO or smelt of smokes, drove it hard to "test" performance.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 15:33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
3 months

Yes of course Dan :- 3 months min'.
I was having a senior moment.
Only ever bought one demo' and that was a little Fiat for the wife years ago.
The little chap was as good as gold from the day she had it, to the day she sold it, with a few re arranged and shaped body panels.
BUT - I know many who swear by them.
They can afford to buy new, but refuse to give their dosh to the government.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 5th June 2013, 15:50
Supporter

Eco display Eco display
Just reading through the posts in this thread. In the UK how much can you save on an ex-demo? I did have a dealer try to sell me one years back but I was only interested in a new one so never really listened to the price. I did laugh as he said he didn't have it in the showroom (salesman had it and wasn't in that day) but it is immaculate. When I said I would take the new EX (inc. extras) I had talked with him about he started writing up the ex-demo one I hadn't seen. Eh!? Who would buy one unseen?

If it's older than 6 months can it be sold ex-VAT?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 09:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
How can they control what people do? They're not in the car during the test drive. I know I floored it to test performance.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 09:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post

DAB is not available on the DK "Sport" trim.

The only things I get extra, to my knowledge, with a MY13 is HFT and the OEM Satnav.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 09:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashformayor View Post

How do you feel about somebody having floored the engine cold on a test drive?

Last edited by nicolaidenmark; 6th June 2013 at 10:05.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 10:39
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaidenmark View Post
How do you feel about somebody having floored the engine cold on a test drive?
You realise at swindon honda where these cars are built each one that comes straight off the line after minutes of being finished are then screamed down a straight bit off road red lining in each gear to check the car is running ok? Its ment to be a test of certain speeds at certain distances I.e 30mph at first cone, 80mph at 3rd etc but the workers tend to just hammer it up and down in brand new cars. Id say there is little to worry about a demo car being run hard whilst cold.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 10:45
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkid View Post
You realise at swindon honda where these cars are built each one that comes straight off the line after minutes of being finished are then screamed down a straight bit off road red lining in each gear to check the car is running ok? Its ment to be a test of certain speeds at certain distances I.e 30mph at first cone, 80mph at 3rd etc but the workers tend to just hammer it up and down in brand new cars. Id say there is little to worry about a demo car being run hard whilst cold.
They must have the mileage metre disconnected during this thrashing then because my 09 2.2 EX was deleivered with 0.2 miles on the clock which I assume was moving it to get it on the back of the trailer....
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 10:48
Supporter

Its not a long piece of track but my partners father works there and says thats what goes on
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 11:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Dad test drove Civic- said is was nice but surprised the power when overtaking at motorway speed wasn't more. Even when I kick down, I'm not that impressed with performance- it's there, however, I would have expected more from a 1.8. To be fair, I have never driven another 1.8 N/A by any other make, so I have no idea what they should feel like. As previously stated, when looking at power to weight ratio, the Civic is just 14 per cent stronger than my Swift 1.3. This is not a lot, and I doubt it's noticeable in everyday driving.

I was hoping for a bigger power reserve.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 12:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

How does one activate the folding mirrors from the remote and the auto closing windows. I tried to hold down the "Lock" button but the mirrors did not flip. If anyone knows where I can download the owners manual, I'd be very much obliged.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 13:24

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
This video on how the 9G is built is quite interesting. I watched this before I decided to buy my 9G mid last year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W0ewUKiiqF4

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page