Accord Tourer Clutch - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 26th May 2014, 10:26 Thread Starter

Accord Tourer Clutch

Hi

I currently drive a Volvo V70 D5 which is an excellent car but I'm moving back to the UK and will need a RHD car there. I'm considering a 2009 Honda Accord Tourer iDTEC because it reportedly has an equally large cargo carrying capability and is quiet and a good drive.

I had to change the clutch on my Volvo recently and vowed to only buy an automatic after that due to the cost. Having seen the MPG figures of the manual vs automatic Accord though, it seemed sensible to consider the manual route again so I thought I'd look into any clutch issues and was amazed to read on this forum about clutches going unacceptably early (albeit, I think, on Civics) and, more to the point, that Honda were very 'relaxed' about this leaving owners thousands of pounds out of pocket. This is a show-stopper for me unless the problems have been identified and sorted. Does anyone have any intelligence on this and can you tell me if this was one specific batch of clutches fitted to Civics and that Accords are OK or was a fix found?

I can't afford a new Accord but a 2009ish car with about 50k on the clock just about fits my budget. Obviously, this is a riskier route clutch-wise but I'm thinking any clutch, if treated properly, should have a good 100k of life left in it. I could be wrong though...can anyone tell me more about this?

All the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 26th May 2014, 11:16
Supporter

Car: Honda Accord 2.4 CU2
Pre 2008 I-cdti Accord clutches have been known to be weak and needed replacing quicker then one would want/expect.
On post 2008 I-DTEC Accord diesel though there has not been that many report of clutch failures so far.
Cargo space is not that great in Accord tourer because of different suspension setup(they intrude into the boot space) and i am almost sure it will be smaller then Volvo V70.
Also one thing to consider is DPF has been an issue with diesels lately so if you are not doing long motorway runs and will be using it more in stop/start journey around town then petrol might be better option.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 26th May 2014, 12:12
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,043 Posts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 30th May 2014, 23:49

Car: 1st gen & 7th Gen Accords

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page