Well - I thought I'd update this finally, as Farqs requested way back 2 years (!?) ago... and the news is good (sort of)!
First, I had to remove my Twin Plate and put my 325 clutch back in, as the growing problems with the Twin Plate meant it was becoming undriveable. As the car was also still continually going into limp mode I also reverted back to a known good Stage 2 map and left it for quite a while.
When I finally started up on it again (Aug last year) I decided to get the Hybrid's VNT actuator position checked up at Turbo Clinic and, seeing as CG Motorsports were only 10 minutes away, also took my Twin Plate in to get it looked at.
Once I explained the issues CG seemed confident they could get it working, so I left it with them and headed off to Turbo Clinic where they adjusted the VNT actuator to The stock setting of 5.5 PSi. However, the car still kept on dying with a fuel pressure fault, so after a bit of fiddling myself, I set off for Celtic to see what they could make of the mapping. This was very much the last-chance saloon as far as I was concerned. I also put the original S3 map back on, so Celtic didn't get Faddy's Stage 2 map for free
Once again, on the way, the car started conking out continually on route. This got progressively worse, so by the time I got there it was almost undriveable (I found out later the actuator adjuster had actually loosened as I was driving - my fault, but at the time Celtic couldn't touch it). I'd just decided to start saving for another project, which I'd had a look at after leaving Celtic that day, so at this point I was back to using the Accord as a tool for saving money (Hypermiling is fun!!
) so I swapped my spare OEM turbo back onto the car (getting quite good at that now) and put the S2 map on and gave up on any further efforts.
At the same time, though, I did get my Twin Plate back. Long story short, the previous installer of my clutch hadn't left enough free-play, so it was constantly partially engaged - with obvious results. It has now been re-faced and installed by someone else and is working perfectly. The pedal now sits very high, but I've got used to it quickly!
However, I kept thinking back to my last discussion with Celtic regarding the Hybrid not conforming to the standard VNT tables etc, which their map still uses, which I suspected was the reason that the Hybrid's boost wasn't being controlled and it was over-boosting. I did ask Celtic if a stock turbo could therefore still use the Stage 3 map and the answer was a qualified yes, with the uprated clutch and FMIC, but obviously there's increased risk, especially at WOT. Having seen a few grenaded Supra turbos in my time this was something I could understand, so that was how I left it...
...until about a week ago, when I thought, sod it!! Seeing as the spare turbo on there had only done 40K miles I thought let's see what actually happens and put one of the tamer S3 maps ABigSavage1 had knocked up on.
What a result! Boost is now controlled, the car hasn't died once and the power delivery means this thing will now legitimately wheel-spin in second from a rolling start! I tried to do another 0-60 video for comparison, but just couldn't get it to hook - eventually I had to feather 1st and be very conservative with 2nd and I still easily equalled the previous videoed time - this thing really shifts and in the usual motorway 50-70, 70-XX type driving, just goes, while remaining perfectly driveable in normal commuting. It's also not died once, no matter how much i tried!
This week I had a bit of spare time, so managed to get over to the Dyno. Pictures paint a thousand words and all that so...
In sum, when compared to the Celtic Stage 3 base map you can see my Hybrid, in its best run at 199 hp, was trying to boost to the moon and then staggering big time. The stock turbo, on the less aggressive Stage 3 map, is initially beating (quicker spool), then matching, the Celtic Hybrid and then running out of steam at higher rpm, hence the power drop-off. Plus the map on there is a bit less aggressive.
I also plotted the latest chart vs my stock map:
(ignore the initial high start point of the curves - the source plot doesn't show them and I think I over-egged it a bit estimating them!!
Overall, this has vindicated that the Hybrid I am running does NOT work with the Celtic Stage 3 map, which isn't a criticism of either the map, or the turbo! If someone who really knows these ECUs gets to work on it, I'm sure they could get it set up fine, just like others have (Trev etc), but I don't want to put any more time and money into this - I'll just keep the stocker on now and if it goes pop, it goes pop! It's not like i'm hooning it about anyway and the power is very satisfying.
Overall, though I'm really impressed with how the little stock turbo has done - a 50% increase over standard power is pretty damn good!
So, in summary. I couldn't get it to work, and I tried! However, I do believe it's a mapping issue fundamentally, which backs up what Trev has said before, but you'd need to spend a lot of time and/or money to resolve it (either by specific mapping, or installing a different Hybrid) and I am not doing that as I don't believe the juice is worth the squeeze.
What I DO have though, is an Accord that is nudging 210hp, that handles brilliantly (A-Spec Suspension) and still gets 55+ mpg when handled carefully. It's also increased my overall mechanical knowledge (with a bit of mapping thrown in too).
Happy with that