I am not really convinced I want an Accord... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st February 2009, 19:46 Thread Starter

I am not really convinced I want an Accord...

Well, today I went to the dealer Autopunkten here in Stockholm.

I really wanted to test drive an Accord, and walked in there with an air of expectation...
The dealer wanted to know what I was going for... and I said Accord Tourer, automatic. Possibly leather seats.

"We have one out there that we will give a very good price on" - he said.

OK, make your calculations, I said, and let me test drive.

No problems - so out I went with the nice Accord.

Hm.
Allright... I like the automatic gearbox. Smooth. I love the ride and the seats - also smooth. Where the Civic hops and jumps, the Accord definitely has more dignity to it... quieter in general.

But the steering... oh my god... the steering... it was like driving the battleship Missouri...!!! Where the Civic is quick, responsive... the Accord felt really sluggish... slow... well - of course - should one say "dignified" again...?

The crown of the jewel was when I got back - the dealer gave me what he said was a good price. He maintained that the car's new price was 378000 SEK, and he was going to make me a good price - 3000 km driven - of 330000 SEK. My Civic would be taken at 100000 SEK (it's a 2007 with 40000 km). So 230000 krona - well, not a bad price I thought.

But a new Accord Executive Top-of-the-line with navi and automatic.... is at a regular price of max 340000 krona...?!? Already here I could guess something wasn't really right.... so I said I would go back and think about it.

Good thing I did... because on the internet the car (the actual, same car) was put up at a price of 298000 krona! He was trying to cheat me and take new-car-price for a demo car with 3000 km on the meter...

You guessed it. No business with him anymore.

And - I am not entirely convinced an Accord would be a lot better than a new Civic this fall, so I'll just hang on to this one a little bit longer...

I also have to say... it's the first time I've been happy to return to my "old" car after driving a "new" car...

There you go, my 2 cent story... Cheers everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st February 2009, 19:48

Personally I'd have the new Accord over the Civic anyday.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st February 2009, 21:16

Thats odd, I currently own a Focus ST and I would put the Accord's steering, ie turn in and responsiveness on a par with the ST.

Im quite impressed with the handling, Its quite alot o fun for a barge!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st February 2009, 21:42
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
Iam with wheelie on this one
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st February 2009, 22:01
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 5D SE, Galaxy Grey
Shame on Autopunkten!

I don't fancy the Accord very much, as I think it is too big.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 10:10
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
I never really understand why Salesmen do this sort of thing in today's internet led society. It doesn't take a genius to go home, tap a few keys and get the truth. It's a waste of time trying to cheat people in this way - in fact senseless.

I am surprised by your comment on the handling as I thought it was good from what I had read.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 11:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hummm.... It wasn't so much that the handling was bad... but compared to the Civic, which probably is quicker than most cars, it was slow. I felt like I was turning the wheel of a battleship (as i said above) and the car took its time to react... I am not really saying this to trash the Accord. I can certainly see why people would prefer an Accord - but maybe it would be better not have the Civic first and Accord later . Again, the ride was "smooth as silk" to use an airline slogan...

Also, I think that if the price had been "right" I would perhaps given it a lot more thought, but as for now, it doesn't feel worth the extra money; I will most likely get me a newer Civic later on... with all the goodies that were included in the Accord... the conclusion is that the dealing and wheeling was at the dealer's disadvantage this time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 17:59
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
The gearing of the steering is slower than the Civic, but the way the car turns in is much sharper. The Civic has unusually quick gearing, but it's a bit of an illusion - the car itself is less willing to go round the corner.

Once you have driven the Accord for a few miles and re-programmed your arms, it is significantly better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2009, 11:12
Gordons Honda

its not fair really its like comparing apples to oranges
sure there spherical but both taste different.

compare to a mazda6,mondeo,vectra,audi,3 series etc

as for the internet prices as usual over promise underdeliver!

ill sell you car cheaper i cant get hold of,Honda dealers get cars 1st unless imported from Cyprus (err UK spec!)
my friend bought a UK spec car we took it in to look at the differences theres no undersealent(useful in countries where it rains )
fuses are rated lower than ther uk
bulbs are lower powered!
its a 60k warrenty not 90k
he's only got 1 year AA cover too.

plus you'll order the car then all of a sudden,(oh we cant get your colour, what about a.....)
or we cant get an SE+ (the dealers have them all...)
so what about an ES it'll only cost you XXX extra

also if something crops up in not covered by the UK warrenty you'll have to pay for it just like buying a used car...

all im saying is becareful sure some internet deals are fine but
if somethings cheap theres a reason!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2009, 12:23
tor

I also looked at the accord tourer. Lots of space, too may buttons. The one thing I cannot shake is that from certain angles the front end looks like Godzilla's square jaw!
(Which may be ok if you wish to terrorize the community, in your quest for fish).
Could be a good car though- if a bit pricey. I have had two accords previously, both great comfy cars, if a little bland.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2009, 13:00

It isn't that much boot space compared to the Civic! And no magic rear seats!
The independed rear suspension ("kvisthaug" - norwegian slang) of the accord steals much space compared to the torsion beam of the civic - and provide a much better ride....

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page