2.0 i-vtec or 2.2 i-dtec - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 8th September 2015, 21:52 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus

Car: Lexus IS250
2.0 i-vtec or 2.2 i-dtec

I am looking to go for a test drive tomorrow in an Accord the 2008 onwards shape. Think its called a CU1?

So far I know I want a GT spec one as they look so much better than the none GT.

Having driven pretty much diesels exclusively for the last 8 or 9 years I really fancy a petrol engine next time. My main worry is modern diesels just seem to be ticking time bombs with turbos, injectors, fuel pumps, dual mass flywheels and particulate filters, my millage is about 12k a year, so starting to feel like vtec petrol would be a far more reliable unit for myself than the 2.2?

How do people find the 2.0 I-vtec engine? The 2.4 seems almost none existent in a manual form so this leaves me with a choice between the 2.0 petrol and 2.2 diesel.

I am not looking for this car to be a race car, but also don't want to be embarrassingly slow either, theres times I would like to put my foot down and enjoying driving too, just because I'm buying a 5 door saloon doesn't mean I am giving up everything! I think the 2.2 type s would be an ideal car if I had a say £4k more, almost my worry would always be the next £1k+ bill that would arise, vtec petrols just don't seem to throw these high bills anywhere near as often!

Seats and comfort are a big thing for me also, I want some comfortable seats, from what I have read the GT spec accords have great seats? From what I have read the suspension would be a really nice step in the right direction for me, I find the civic suspension too harsh most of the time but the accord from the reviews I have read seems to have the exact suspension I am looking for, comfort but still able to enjoy a spirited drive

Just looking for any feedback, I can see quite a bit on here regarding the I-dtec, however no one seems to run vtec's anymore, seems a bit sad. It was v-tec's that made me fall in love with Honda the first time I drove one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 8th September 2015, 23:01
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,155 Times in 3,851 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
So the quest continues

Before your post I only knew of the ATR# (due to my anchors) but then I clocked this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/...cw1cw2cw3-etc/

Have you checked the TypeAccord forum for 2.4 vs 2.2 vs 2.0 info?
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 8th September 2015, 23:40 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Ive had a look mate yeah not a member yet though don't seem to be able to search

To be honest about an hour ago I found this page http://www.accordforum.de/showthread...22479.html?amp; and have spent the entire time trying to figure out where on earth that front bumper originates from because it finish off the front end amazing!

I think the GT kit sided and rear with that front bumper would be the ideal for me.
Thanks to dougie175 from:

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 8th September 2015, 23:47 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Just checked the faults section of the 8th gen petrol section.... 6 topics none of which have any engine related issues and about 30 posts in total... says it all really. Have a feeling I would be unlucky to have any real engine problems with a 2.0 vtec
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 05:54
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door, NHB
In a recent survey of engine failures ranked by manufacturer, Honda had the lowest fail rate. It was 1 in 344 or something. In comparison to VAG which was 1 in 45ish thats pretty darn inpressive

My brother has an old accord with the 2 litre vtec. Its not slow, but it lacks a lot of low down torque as the the accord is not a light car. Once your in 3rd or higher its actually pretty good.

My mate has an auto 2.4. He had the option of a manual or auto at the time but somehow the fuel economy seems much better with the auto according to all sources which is strange. Excellent engine though by all accounts
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 07:11

Car: 2009 1.8 EX GT, DSB
I've had three vtec engines to date, a 2.0, 2.4 and presently a 1.8. They are very reliable engines, but you will need to get used to the characteristic of these engines .

Basically, they gennerally have low torque with the added factor that it also peaks at quite a high rev circa 4200rpm . This means that you have to drive it with gear changes at a higher revs. If you can get used to that style of driving then the vtec will work for you . Note , this also means you won't have in gear acceleration from low revs and will have to change down, something you would have been used to in your diesel .

As much as I have loved the vtec engines over the last 16 years, for me it doesn't feel relaxing any more .
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 08:19
Supporter

Car: Honda Accord 2.4 CU2
I have had my CU2 2.4 manual Accord for 4 years now and it's been fantastic except rust on sunroof which was replaced FOC by Honda.

Diesel Accord is fantastic except few people had DPF problems.Rather then that is very good car.
If you go for 2.0 Accord you wont have problems if maintained properly . Book a test drive and see how you like it.

Check Honda Karma forum for info and recalls.
Lot's of useful info Honda Karma about Accord.
http://hondakarma.com/accord/8th-gen.../?prefix_id=10

Last edited by Shearer; 9th September 2015 at 08:22.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 08:47
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Not an Accord, but I had the 160bhp ivtec in my 7gen Civic type s. The vtec kicked in about 4k. Below that it drove fine, but it was 'flat'. On the motorway you were constantly changing down to make a swift overtaking manoeuvre. The diesel cars after that were a breath of fresh air with the torque on demand.

To condradict myself a little, now being a little older and less demanding from my car, I reckon an ivtec would suit me fine (partner has the economy 1.8 !).
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 09:12 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies chaps. I have had vtecs previously so no strange to diving at high revs, however out was a long time ago. Not sure I will enjoy revving the nuts off an engine just to make progress. A test drive is much needed and not just one around the bock but one that gives me a real feel for the car
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 12:55
Supporter

I find Honda petrols really have to be revved - but even then the fuel economy is pretty decent.

My previous Mazdas don't have to revved as much but are similar in fuel economy

Swings and roundabouts....
Thanks to balleballe from:
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 19:07 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Going for a test drive in a 2.0 vtec tomorrow, hopefully they let me have a proper test drive and can see how it really feels.

Really excited actually I hope I really like the petrol engine again, if not will have to look at the 2.2
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 19:43
Supporter

Car: Accord Tourer 2.2 ES-GT
I got my accord tourer 2.2 a few months ago and im loving the thing. Ive got a 2010 ES GT and its an all round pefect car for me. Looks great. Handles great and absorbs most potholes and speedbumps effortlessly and plenty poke for my heavy right foot. Oh and plenty space for my newborn and our large border collie. Its on 55k miles and isnt showing any signs of the common issues everyone is bangin on about.

Ive owned a few hondas previous. Ive had the 1.8 vtec & 2.0 type r 8th gen civics and 2.0 vtec 3rd gen CRV. The accord is my favourite by far.
Thank You to YoTeague from 2 Users:
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 19:59 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Good to hear!

Got to try and convince the Mrs its not a granddads car now! Only one she likes is the Type S in white. Must admit it looks fantastic in white, I would love one of the Type S's but they don't come cheap!

Its difficult having a highly modified car to deal with as well, no idea what they would give me trading it in but I imagine it will be a long way from what I can get privately, but the issue with selling privately is I then need to travel hundreds and hundreds of miles somehow to buy an accord as they are few and far between, I cant believe how rare the accord is, its no wonder Honda have stopped making them!
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 20:25
Supporter

Car: Accord Tourer 2.2 ES-GT
Mine is Crystal black and it never even crossed my mind it might be a grandads car. Im 28 and my partner is 22 and she loves it. With the gt skirts and splitters it looks low and aggresive. I think the front end is quite similar to merc front ends.

Yeah the car is super rare which appeals to me. I rarely ever see another one around. Luckily a local arnold clark had my one and was relatively painless to trade in my old car for it. The type s is obviously the best choice with the extra 30bhp but i dont think ud be disapointed with an EX GT if you wanted the same amount of toys.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 20:57 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTeague View Post
Mine is Crystal black and it never even crossed my mind it might be a grandads car. Im 28 and my partner is 22 and she loves it. With the gt skirts and splitters it looks low and aggresive. I think the front end is quite similar to merc front ends.

Yeah the car is super rare which appeals to me. I rarely ever see another one around. Luckily a local arnold clark had my one and was relatively painless to trade in my old car for it. The type s is obviously the best choice with the extra 30bhp but i dont think ud be disapointed with an EX GT if you wanted the same amount of toys.
I'm 29 and shes 27 next month, but has this strange thing about saloon cars been for old people... her opinion not mine. The GT kit really makes it look wide and aggressive I think.

I also love the modulo front bumper that I posted above it looks amazing, however I don't think its available to the UK market. I will look into getting one into the UK one way or another if I do buy an Accord though as the GT kit with that front bumper and a bit of a spoiler really sets the Accord off and looks as good as any Type R in my opinion

Yeah having a rarer car also appeals to me, I had another go in a 2012 1.8 civic on Monday and it didn't really feel an upgrade on what I already have, it didn't make me feel special anyway. Hopefully the Accord will fit a bit more upmarket and suit me a bit more, don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the 2012 civic, just didn't think it felt like 40% more value than my current type s, obviously it felt slow compared to my 240bhp, but to be honest I rarely use half of the power my car has so the power doesn't worry me.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 21:13
Supporter

Car: 2008 FN2
Accords are defo the way to go, not that common especially type s, I've just bought an 04 2.4 exec model with euro r kit fitted picking up on Friday can't wait!

Whoring the pic out everywhere I can lol
Thanks to Alexknight7nov from:
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 21:18 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Very nice mate, I actually like the engine lineu p better in that shape Accord than the shape I am looking at, but don't want to go backwards with the age of my vehicle.

Cracking looking car though mate, would love a manual 2.4 vtec, I imagine its a weapon!
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 21:31
Supporter

Accords are hard to find, thats because they were priced slightly cheaper than a 3 series or A4. Due to the issues of the Yen against the pound Honda had to maintain a high list price

People would rather have a German due to prestige, badge snobbery or perceived quality. The fact they make more efficient diesels dented the Accords chance of selling in numbers, hence it is no longer sold in the UK.

Can you imagine if they released a new one this year.....hardly going to sell any models with a 1.6 diesel managing 120bhp
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 21:36
Supporter

Car: 2008 FN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post
Very nice mate, I actually like the engine lineu p better in that shape Accord than the shape I am looking at, but don't want to go backwards with the age of my vehicle.

Cracking looking car though mate, would love a manual 2.4 vtec, I imagine its a weapon!
This is actually a semi auto, never had one before but glad to have the option of selecting own gears when I want too
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 9th September 2015, 21:40 Thread Starter
Deserter to Lexus
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by balleballe View Post
Accords are hard to find, thats because they were priced slightly cheaper than a 3 series or A4. Due to the issues of the Yen against the pound Honda had to maintain a high list price

People would rather have a German due to prestige, badge snobbery or perceived quality. The fact they make more efficient diesels dented the Accords chance of selling in numbers, hence it is no longer sold in the UK.

Can you imagine if they released a new one this year.....hardly going to sell any models with a 1.6 diesel managing 120bhp
Yeah peoples views of German cars are a real shame, I work in an Audi approved bodyshop, I am well aware they don't deserve the credit they currently get

Very true, no matter how good a 1.6 diesel is it isn't going to make an enjoyable Accord drive!

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page