I love Civic BUT.......... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2009, 11:41 Thread Starter
Supporter

I love Civic BUT..........

I have had my Civic from new and have been very pleased with it apart form the suspension/ road noise. I've had 2 replacement clutches replaced under warranty and this has decimated my confidence in the longevity of the new one due to the amount of miles I do. The dealer and I agree that he'll see me again for a new one, since the flywheel wasn't replaced. Based on my previous experiences, It is due to fail just as my warranty is due to expire, at about 85k miles. I know I'm concerned aboyut something in the future, but I'd rather put the money into another car now, than into a repair at a later date. I have decided to change and the Accord is the obvious choice. I've looked at a few exactly the same age as my Civic, also with the 6 speed 'box. I am however paranoid about buying another Honda with the dual mass flywheel. Is the transmission the same inb the Accord, I presume it is. I've seen a couple of threads on the internet about failing Accord clutches. Do you know if these failures are as widespread in the Accord as in the Civic?
Quite honestly, other than the Accord, there isn't another real world car that suits my needs, an economical over 2l diesel keeps me quids in with my Company mileage rate payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2009, 11:45

I'd love the new Accord myself, its a very classy car.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2009, 11:46

I think in fairness potentially the duel mass flywheel is an issue affecting diesel engines from other manufacturers not just Honda. I've seen stories of them going on Mondeo's and Passats.

Last week when I dropped off my company astra for service, the service manager was on the phone having a real humdinger with Vauxhall Warranty Department over a customers diesel Vectra. The dual mass fly wheel was less than the measurements shown in the latest technical bulletin. They also wanted to replace a slave cylinder at the same time and Vauxhall were up in arms at having to replace the parts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2009, 12:23
Supporter

Car: 13 CRV / 14 Accord / 04 S2K
I asked my dealer about the clutch.
Since the diesel is there (5years) he had 1 clutch replacement, due to an accident.
In Belgium about all FRV, Accord, CRV and most Civic are Diesels.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2009, 22:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Stef for going to the trouble of asking. I just need to find the right Accord and someone prepared to offer a realistic price for my Civic. I don't think I'll be changing quickly though
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2009, 22:29

Car: 2013 suzuki swift sport
My diesel has done 26000miles since clutch and flywheel replacement without a sniff of trouble touch wood and it is dealing with over 300lb/ft of torque!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 24th March 2009, 17:44
Supporter

I've had four new Accords in a row. Wonderful cars, in a different league from the Civic as far as build quality is concerned. I'd have had a fifth, too, rather than a Civic, but something else came up and I couldn't resist.

Go for the Accord. You can't go wrong.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 24th March 2009, 21:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well, it looks like the Civ is going, I called into a dealer I've never visited before and came up with the following deal, trade in mine with March 07 with 57k miles for July 08 Accord Sport GT with 10k for 5k, taxed and serviced. Any opinions?

Last edited by madasadad; 24th March 2009 at 22:23.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 24th March 2009, 22:34
WARRIOR

Car: BMW F30
get the accord, deal sounds ok,had a vectra with dmf failure only 38000 on clock. traded it for my civic, after too many other probs with vectra, including alternator failure at 56000 miles 23 days out of warranty. vaux uk not the least bit interested, cost me 750 , stick with Honda.
p>s> wife had an accord 2.0 sport build quality was amazing, slightly let down by the civ in this department..
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 24th March 2009, 23:12
My sticker's crooked

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
I asked my dealer about the clutch.
Since the diesel is there (5years) he had 1 clutch replacement, due to an accident.
In Belgium about all FRV, Accord, CRV and most Civic are Diesels.
In Belgium about all cars are diesels. It's a widespread epidemic.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 00:09 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Dealer told me that clutches have been a problem with some Civics, and that the non Euro built Hondas seem better put together, but then he would do, since he was trying to sell me one
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 00:58
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by madasadad View Post
Well, it looks like the Civ is going, I called into a dealer I've never visited before and came up with the following deal, trade in mine with March 07 with 57k miles for July 08 Accord Sport GT with 10k for 5k, taxed and serviced. Any opinions?
The Accord Sport GT is a fabulous car - almost perfect (just a bit less road noise and it would be perfect). Go for it!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 01:04
Supporter

So the Accord still suffers from road noise then Potsy? That's what I find annoying about the Civic but would be annoyed if I changed for a another car that still suffered road noise.

Tim
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 01:14
Administrator

Eco display
It's miles better than the Civic for road noise. It's just that the engine is almost inaudible, so you just feel the road noise could be even better (which it is in the 09 Accord).

The Accord is in a different league to the Civic altogether.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 14:01

Car: 2017 Type R GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
It's miles better than the Civic for road noise. It's just that the engine is almost inaudible, so you just feel the road noise could be even better (which it is in the 09 Accord).

The Accord is in a different league to the Civic altogether.
I agree, but it's not quite fast enough as standard. I am going to get mine re-mapped by Celtic soon. Also, my mpg is still way-off what Honda say I should get. We have moved house to a more rural area now, and I am having some fun on the small B-roads and my mpg has dropped to 35mpg!!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 14:03

Car: 2006 Accord 2.0 Executive
I replaced clutch on my 2.0 ex accord,so there are problems with petrol not only diesel models...It really is a great car and you will not be dissapointed.The clutch problems are really matter of luck it seems Good luck with your new car
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 14:29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasadad View Post
My 07 has 34k miles so I could get a similar deal - where were you offered this? Is that the latest shape Accord as well?

Tim
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 21:00

Im guessing the Sport GT is the old model, the new sporty model is the ESGT or EXGT.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 21:08
Administrator

Eco display
Yes, the Sport GT is a special edition run-out of the old model:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/honda-a...-gt-2-2-a.html

It is a cross between the Sport and the EX. It has the dials, seats, and sports suspension from the Sport, and the Satnav and HFT from the EX. In my opinion it's the best of both worlds (the EX is a bit soft for me and the electric seats at their lowest position are a bit high). It also has a few styling bits, but they're tricky to spot (smoked chrome handles and funky grey wheels).

Remember, the old one is the product of all the subtle improvements and manufacturing changes made throught the cars life. It is a fantastic car to drive, but looks just a touch dated. The new car (well, the ones I've driven) feel a little "version 0.7": http://www.civinfo.com/forum/honda-a...7-vs-09-a.html
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 25th March 2009, 23:14
Supporter

The Sport GT sounds like a good one to go for then. I got my Civic from Holdcroft also (even though I live in Devon). They did a great deal and looked after me really well.

Tim

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page