Thinking about an Accord Tourer - looking for advice/good dealers - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th July 2009, 10:53 Thread Starter

Thinking about an Accord Tourer - looking for advice/good dealers

Hey all,

Just registered as I'm starting to think about having a proper look at the Accord as my next car.

I currently drive an '08 320i Touring, which is alright, but a bit dull and really needs to be a 330i to be exciting.

I can't really afford a 330i, and haven't been over-impressed with BMW dealers in general, plus I've had two BMW's in a row and fancy a change.

I had completely disregarded the Accord on looks alone, until I saw the new '09 Touring with the rounded back, making it look less like an aircraft hangar on wheels

Anyway, I'd just like to get a feel for the models to go for, things I should take into account (any niggles etc?) and also of course, any decent dealers in the South?

I definitely want something quick, not especially bothered about having a diesel, and would seriously consider the 2.4 engine if it is a stonker.

Ideally I'd like to buy a low mileage ex-dem, but wouldn't disregard buying new. Because I like the sporty skirts I imagine getting an ex-dem might be harder as I imagine they come in the more standard trim on the whole?

Any and all advice would be gratefully received, I'm not in a rish to buy, and cost to change will be important, so I'm biding my time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th July 2009, 11:43

If it helps most of the dealers Ive been to have had the GT trim models more than the std models.

Im having a Diesel, but its not as good imo as the old CDTI, the petrol is also a bit hit and miss for me, certainly not as good as the bigger offerings from BMW, rest of the car is great but I think Honda are missing a trick with the small engine range, funnily enough the yanks and the arabs get some proper powerplants.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th July 2009, 12:43
tor

Hi
The 2.4 petrol is a very good unit, smooth & powerful. I had the previous model accord which was a very good car, with excellent traction in snow. I managed about 22 -24mpg which wasn't bad. The new accord tourer looks great from the outside. I think the inside looks a little cluttered, though I am sure it will work well in practice. Where the accord is let down is in the quality of plastic trim & low grade carpets. I suppose its all down to mass production & price.
It will have the usual solid reliability, and yes the dealers are generally a little friendlier than the equivalent BMW staff.
That said I believe the BMW may be a better car. I can only base this on my experience with a 325i Touring. Perhaps not as much room as the Honda. Lovely Strait 6 though. BMW is Horrible in Snow. The Handling of the BMW is generally better, perhaps a little stiffer. Paint and Interior certainly superior on the BMW.
I got 25mpg from the 2.5 (6).
This said I now have the Diesel Civic which is a good car, though I am seriously missing my BMW at times.
I always come back to Honda for reliability & Dealer service. (This is my 4th Civic, I have had 2 Accords, & 1 Integra R).
I don't know why Honda don't develop a V6 Diesel Motor of about 3.2 ltr. This could challenge the large German monopoly in this area. The Interiors could do with moving up a notch too, though the seats are very good.

All the best with your choice
Tor

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th July 2009, 12:46
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th July 2009, 13:51

Plastics on the new accord are on a par with the current 3 series ime, the dash is cluttered but everything is well placed and you have no bleedin Idrive or MMI to fiddle with (and this is coming from a self certified geek), it took me a day to get used all of the buttons.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th July 2009, 18:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks guys, really like that dealer Wiki, very handy.

Is there a consensus on the best engine of the bunch? Oh, and what could I expect in terms of discount on a new one if I went for that?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th July 2009, 12:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Got a new installment to report

I took a 2.0 EX Saloon out today - which was quite nice. It wasn't punchy enough for me in power terms and it was an auto and I prefer the manual gearbox.

From a comfort point of view it was lovely, well appointed, full leather, dual climate etc.

I've seen www.drivethedeal.com do a 2.4 EX Saloon for £19100 so I've put an enquiry in.

The problem with buying through a broker is that I'm unlikely to be able to trade my car in, so then I have to sell it priivately, which means I should get more for it, but it's a lot more hassle (and does anyone really put £15k across the kitchen table these days?).

If I had £20k disposable cash I'd buy it and sell my car leisurely, but I need one to fund the other really...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th July 2009, 20:07
><((('> o O

The 2.0 petrol is gutless. you should still consider the 2.2 diesel. It's surprisingly smooth for a diesel and has a good amount of poke. One of the characteristics of honda petrol engines (the vtec range anyway) has always kind of been that you really need it in the rev range to get any decent punch out of it.
Diesels on the other hand have loads of low down torque so great for overtaking without needing to change down a gear.

Saying all this, i haven't driven the 2.4 so could be good.....!

Good luck with the hunting!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 17th July 2009, 16:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cheers pekwah - I am considering a diesel as I understand the difference between it and the 2.4 is fairly minimal.

Just need to find a good deal really...

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page