From Civic to Accord am I wise - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th July 2009, 07:21 Thread Starter

Question From Civic to Accord am I wise

Hi ya all

I am contemplating a pt ex - Civic 1.8 Sport for an Accord EX am I wise?
Test drove 08 2.0L EX which seemed good - the engine was quiet and road noise was quieter than the Civic which wasn't difficult to achieve and was bliss! The Civic is a great car but it's now time for something a little more upmarket - I'm getting older!
This Accord had cream trim with walnut dash which looked great in the brochure but in reality was just cheap plastic and I passed on this option.
I am deciding on petrol v diesel and looking for an ex -demo but also considering moving away from the marque to Mazda 'cos Honda remain one of the most expensive in respect of initial costs, repairs and servicing.
If anyone would care to comment on the Accord and petrol v diesel your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th July 2009, 20:45
><((('> o O

I would say it's personal preference. The accord is a much more refined and civilised drive. The civic is probably more practical, but obviously a cheaper car and has more go-karty handling attributes. I am myself changing from a new civic to a new accord because i thrive for the extra refinement you get with a bigger car. There's not quite as much passenger room and although the boot is a very useful size and can hold a lot, it's not as versatile as the civic.

The options on the accord are good though. The sat nav system is brilliant and you get the phone and much better sound system as standard.

As for the engine, definitely the diesel. I have driven the 2.0 petrol and the 2.2 diesel. The diesel is a great engine. It's smoother than the one in the civic and has a more even power band, and although the car is marginally slower, you don't notice it. The petrol i drove just seemed to be pretty gutless. It didn't have the overtaken prowess that these diesels have, and like most vtec engines that honda make, you need to rev the nuts off it to get any decent power. You'll get plenty more miles too!

If you're not too concerned with losing the practicality of the civic (magic seats, space, boot, size of car for parking) then i'd definitely say that you wouldn't regret the change!
Thanks to pekwah1 from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 16th July 2009, 13:51
JCK

Hi BobbyJ,

My wife and I drive a 2006 Accord EX 2.2 iCDTI and a 2007 Civic 2.2iCDTI.
As for petrol vs diesel - It's interesting for starters that the accord regularly returns 53+mpg whereas the best we get out of it is about 49.
It horses for courses really, as given our individual preference, I jump into the accord and she into the civic! - thats useful....
However, the things I like about the civic are:
Very nippy
great storage options
great built in satnav
glove box cooler

not too keen on:
Steering feels a bit 'skittish'
Always bash my bonce when i get in (despite moving seat - and I'm only 5' 10")
Limited rear view with that spoiler

The Accord feels a bit more refined and I prefer the ride quality. Despite appearances, I would say the Civic is more spacious though.
Doing lots of miles (30,000/yr), the fuel saving is worthwhile.
Just my two penneth worth.....
Thanks to JCK from:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 16th July 2009, 14:13
knd
Supporter

Car: 2008/01 1.8 Sport 5d, NHB
well, personal opinion, if I could afford both, i would go for the Accord.
Different car type, sizes, quality, comfort.

For me my car has to full-fill my needs. Go to work, travel with 2 people in the car when needed, space for luggage, easy to drive and have some "fun" with it sometimes, etc. Since this, my Civic is excellent. I don't need extra space, don't have the need for a bigger car (and it's running costs, insurance, the car itself costs more than a Civic). It's all about your need I think, but of course, this is the way I think.

For example, I was thinking to buy a Type-R or the 1.8 petrol in the beginning (didn't want a Diesel because of the big price difference here in Portugal, and I preffer the petrol to diesel ) , but, after some rational thinking, I make to much mileage, drive long every day. With this the 1.8 is more fuel efficient, less hard-core suspension to drive all days, and the maintenance is cheaper as the car itself. So I went to the 1.8.

just my 2 cents
Thanks to knd from:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th July 2009, 10:27
Supporter

I recommend the Accord highly. It's more of a gentleman's car, which can be a plus or a negative depending on your personality.

I traded a 2.2 Diesel Civ for a 2.0L petrol Accord Type S. After two months i do not regret the swap. The engine took some getting used to as its not as punchy and quick as the Diesel. It is more refined and is quick enough when you need it to be and i also average around 40MPG which is excellent for a petrol car of its size. Still, if you have the option of buying the Diesel its very hard not to recommend. If the price was right at the time i would have gone down that route again.

Other things like refinement and build quality are higher up the chart comparative to the Civic. Paint is still a little soft but the shape of the car does a good job of keeping stone chips away from the bonnet. Gear box feels very well engineered and it is a real pleasure to drive.
Thanks to Dcode from:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th July 2009, 11:07

I probably never going to buy a Japanese car again. European brands like Audi, VW, Skoda, BMW are much more quality and better in most terms. New Accord sucks it's a big cheap brick. Sorry.
Thanks to Ilya from:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th July 2009, 11:50
The Property Man

Car: 2007 VW Beetle 1.6
i quite like the accord...i think it more grown up...would def consider getting one in the future 2nd hand though..i think they are quite expensive..

so yes you are wise..moving away from boy racer to professional look
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th July 2009, 18:14
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
I probably never going to buy a Japanese car again. European brands like Audi, VW, Skoda, BMW are much more quality and better in most terms.
Honda UK Media Resource :: Releases :: The Uk&#39;s Most Reliable Car - Accord-ing To Which? Survey

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page