Car: 2009 Accord Tourer 2.0
Join Date: 10th April 2007
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
09 Accord premium audio = Acura TSX ELS ???
Sorry for the long post, but I feel I need to give a proper introduction.
If you look on the web, there's loads of information on Acura's premium audio system "ELS". Supposedly it's the best car-audio system available in the world today. In the TSX it features 415 Watts and 10 speakers, including a 20cm subwoofer and 8cm center speaker. It's also able to play dvd-audio @5.1, which will apparently blow you away.
The ELS system was designed by music producer Elliot Scheiner and Panasonic, with the intension to bring studio quality sound to the vehicle. The Internet is full of praising reviews by audiophiles. Google it!
Honda (in Europe) however, are very secretive about who manufactures it's premium audio system in the 09 Accord. I've searched just about every european Honda website, but I can't find any details.
Since the TSX is actually a European Accord (or is it the other way around?), there is a great resemblance between the audio systems: The externals (looks) are identical. Both systems have 10 speakers. Both systems have a 20cm subwoofer. Both have 6 disc changer. Both have completely the same menus (see Acura website for examples).
The differences: Honda Europe doesn't advertise the Accord's ability to play DVD-A and other formats and it also doesn't advertise the ELS logo (or DVD-A logo). I know from experience that the Honda system sounds phenomenal, but I'm not sure it's exactly the same as its American counterpart.
1. Do you think Honda's premium audio system is the same as Acura's?
2. Would the development costs of seperate high-end audio systems in essentially the same car not be too high?
3. Is it possible that were stuck with a stripped down version of ELS?
4. Could it be that both systems are actually the same, but that Honda doesn't advertise it as such, to protect the premium Acura-brand? (Americans don't like the fact that their premium-priced Acura is just a Honda)
5. If both systems are the same, do you think that the Honda will play DVD-audio-discs, eventhough it doesn't show a DVD-A-logo?
6. Could it be that both systems are the same, but DVD-A is dissabled (by firmware or wiring)?
7. Could it be that both systems are the same, but that the Accord has a different disc-changer, which will only play CDs?
I'm hoping that a current Accord owner can shine a light on this. Or somebody who has contacts within Honda? Honda keeps dealers in the dark, because my dealer doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about (or he doesn't ask the right questions). Google also hasn't brought me the answers.
Last edited by bobbybliss; 27th August 2009 at 10:30.