09 Accord premium audio = Acura TSX ELS ??? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th August 2009, 14:16 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Accord Tourer 2.0
09 Accord premium audio = Acura TSX ELS ???

Sorry for the long post, but I feel I need to give a proper introduction.

Introduction
If you look on the web, there's loads of information on Acura's premium audio system "ELS". Supposedly it's the best car-audio system available in the world today. In the TSX it features 415 Watts and 10 speakers, including a 20cm subwoofer and 8cm center speaker. It's also able to play dvd-audio @5.1, which will apparently blow you away.

The ELS system was designed by music producer Elliot Scheiner and Panasonic, with the intension to bring studio quality sound to the vehicle. The Internet is full of praising reviews by audiophiles. Google it!

Honda (in Europe) however, are very secretive about who manufactures it's premium audio system in the 09 Accord. I've searched just about every european Honda website, but I can't find any details.

Since the TSX is actually a European Accord (or is it the other way around?), there is a great resemblance between the audio systems: The externals (looks) are identical. Both systems have 10 speakers. Both systems have a 20cm subwoofer. Both have 6 disc changer. Both have completely the same menus (see Acura website for examples).

The differences: Honda Europe doesn't advertise the Accord's ability to play DVD-A and other formats and it also doesn't advertise the ELS logo (or DVD-A logo). I know from experience that the Honda system sounds phenomenal, but I'm not sure it's exactly the same as its American counterpart.

Questions
1. Do you think Honda's premium audio system is the same as Acura's?

2. Would the development costs of seperate high-end audio systems in essentially the same car not be too high?

3. Is it possible that were stuck with a stripped down version of ELS?

4. Could it be that both systems are actually the same, but that Honda doesn't advertise it as such, to protect the premium Acura-brand? (Americans don't like the fact that their premium-priced Acura is just a Honda)

5. If both systems are the same, do you think that the Honda will play DVD-audio-discs, eventhough it doesn't show a DVD-A-logo?

6. Could it be that both systems are the same, but DVD-A is dissabled (by firmware or wiring)?

7. Could it be that both systems are the same, but that the Accord has a different disc-changer, which will only play CDs?

Help wanted
I'm hoping that a current Accord owner can shine a light on this. Or somebody who has contacts within Honda? Honda keeps dealers in the dark, because my dealer doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about (or he doesn't ask the right questions). Google also hasn't brought me the answers.

Thanks!

Last edited by bobbybliss; 27th August 2009 at 10:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th August 2009, 12:17

Might be able to confirm the DVD-A function next week when I pick up my 2.4 EX, you may need to point me in the direction of a DVD-A disc tho or how to burn one
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th August 2009, 21:24

From reading around on the Accord UK forums, the electrical system on the UK Accord and the TSX is complketely different, this was certainly the case on the old accord, not sure if its the case with the new accord. Tbh If it could play the DVD-A, that would mean it should play video DVD's?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th August 2009, 09:19

I asked the salesman if it would play video dvd's from the player in the boot, and he said quite firmly no, but I'll check it myself anyways tbh
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2009, 15:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The Acura ELS system won't play video DVD, so the Accord probably won't either. I've traded in the Civic for an Accord last week (I will fill you in later!) and I'm expecting a DVD-A in the mail tomorrow (Santana's Supernatural). I will let you know what happens!

Thanks for the comments guys!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2009, 11:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quick update: audio-dvd didn't work. Gonna Find out if I can make it work..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th September 2009, 14:43
><((('> o O

have a look on the accord owners forum.
The europe model still has audio from panasonic but i'm pretty sure it's not the same as the us market.

Apparently these new 8th gen accords suffer from blown speakers. I've also got a blown one at the moment...
Thanks to pekwah1 from:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th September 2009, 16:18

just swapped civic s 2.2 and crv 2.2 o8s getting milano red accord tourer esgt with sat nav automatic 2.2
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th September 2009, 16:20

greatful for any feedback on the 2.2 auto thanks in anticipation nb loved the civic

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page