New Type S test drive - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th January 2010, 16:18 Thread Starter

Car: 09 Type R GT Crystal Black
New Type S test drive

Hi

As I am thinking about changing my 3+ year old Lexus - and want to reduce my annual costs - I took a Sept 09 Type S out for a test drive today.

Interesting!!

Well, I had only a short drive, but did a bit of motorway, some roundabouts (twice around them of course) and urban potholed driving......

When I walked into the showroom, I was immediately impressed by the looks of the car. The new Accord is a nice looking saloon, but the full body kit adds a definite sporty look to the car. This one was in polished metal metallic - very nice and it seemed to add 'class' to the looks of the Accord. It also had upgraded 18" delta alloys - which have a mixed alloy silver and (what looks like) a polished metal metallic finish, which matched the car's paintwork perfectly.

Sitting in the car, I was impressed. The front seats are very comfortable and seem to hug you - in the right way. Space in the back was OK (I am 6' 1") but not generous. Having said that, it is much better than a similarly priced Lexus, Audi or BMW. All controls are easily to hand.

Build quality felt good.

The boot is big and the split folding rear seats are a great feature. I was suprised though that the speaker etc in the top of the boot were not covered and protected Cost saving perhaps? On the downside, the height of the boot opening is not great so bulky loads might be difficult to fit.

Lastly I checked out the electronics etc. It has everything that I want - electric front seats, driver memory, satnav, decent stereo......I could go on and on! But basically, it has every extra that I want.

Speaking with the salesman, running costs seem good - excellent consumption (especially compared with a big petrol engine), and savings (for me) in terms of insurance, servicing and RFT.

So, out for a test drive. BTW, although I have driven diesel cars, I have never owned one. I am used to high reving petrol engines. So please read some of my comments in that context.

Plus points for me were -
Ride quality - I loved it! Fairly firm with minimal body roll (just how I like it) but with little crashing over urban roads.
Steering - not perfect, but precise - and I felt comfortable especially as this was a new car to me. As a test I went twice around each roundabout that I met - faster the second time. The car felt grippy and precise.
Sound levels - much better than I had expected. In first gear it reminded me that I was driving a diesel, but after that things seemed to get quieter. I took the car up to the motorway limit or so and also accelerated it hard on the way back to the garage after I had a better feel for the car. Noise levels were very subdued.
Seats - the driving confirmed what I had initially felt in the showroom - very nice!

Negatives?

Well the only one is the performance. Basically it did not feel very fast when I pushed it a little. Now, in fairness, this might be just me who is used to a higher reving big petrol engine. But overall, this is now the biggest uncertainty in my mind.

So, overall I was impressed.

BTW, I found the Type S to be both more comfortable and quieter than a more expensive Audi A6 that I test drove a few months ago.

Anyway, your comments are welcomed. In particular I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who owns or has test driven a Type S.

Last edited by PaulBaz; 24th January 2010 at 16:42.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th January 2010, 16:58

Good points there.

Agree on the ride/drive. I went from a MR2 Roadster, so was looking for something with a bit of handling but more practical. I found the petrol as good as the diesel on test drive, but went for the petrol in the end purely because the colour I wanted came up in the petrol first.

There are things you can do to the diesel to ooomph up the BHP, but as I have the 1.8 I couldn't give advice on that.

Last edited by AmyF; 24th January 2010 at 17:00.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th January 2010, 17:10

We think the Civic is so good we bought 2!!!!

We have a diesel and the performance is very good. Maybe the car you drove didn't have many miles on it. Ours has 17,000 on the clock now and it does go very well.

They are both one of the few cars owned that haven't had trips back to the dealer for warranty work and right now we will probably have another Civic when the next Gen car comes out.

Only thing we don't like is the front end and stone chips. We can however live with those, it's certainly no worse than the BMW's we have owned.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th January 2010, 17:51
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec SR, Red
I think you'll find he is talking about the Accord Type S, not the Civic.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th January 2010, 18:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenP View Post
I think you'll find he is talking about the Accord Type S, not the Civic.
Yes sir, You are correct - I drove the ACCORD Type S .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th January 2010, 18:56

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
Paul, I can't speak for the Type S but I've just become the proud owner of a 2.2 ES GT Tourer - same body kit as the Type S but missing some of the more useful toys (electric seats and memory seats). I've just come from pretty much the same engine in the Civic ES. I concur that the Accord doesn't seem fast (it is a second or so slower than the Civic to 62) and it feels heavy(ish) but it handles corners very well (lots of pot holed B roads with many tight bends around here) and feels more secure in doing so than the Civic.

I'm going to write a more comprehensive view in a few days but first impressions are that the Accord tends to show up the fairly significant shortcomings of the Civic - am very impressed to date.

Regards,
Chris
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th January 2010, 20:09
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Paul,

Obviously you have seen what I thought of the car - the only surprise I have reading your report was the performance (which I reckon was good). Maybe it's because you are coming from the CTR....

I was ready to buy one - but just two things stopped me. For millions of miles of motorway work I wanted something a tad quieter, and whilst the regular Accords are being discounted like mad not a penny off was available on the ATS. Other than that it was a fine car, and bits of me now still wish I had one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th January 2010, 12:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Paul,

Obviously you have seen what I thought of the car - the only surprise I have reading your report was the performance (which I reckon was good). Maybe it's because you are coming from the CTR....

I was ready to buy one - but just two things stopped me. For millions of miles of motorway work I wanted something a tad quieter, and whilst the regular Accords are being discounted like mad not a penny off was available on the ATS. Other than that it was a fine car, and bits of me now still wish I had one.
Hi Pottsy

Yes, I had read your review a couple of times. A really excellent and comprehensive review BTW.

Re the performance, well my Lexus is actually faster than my wifes CTR. So that didn't help the comparison either . Also, as this was my first drive in the car - and it was a diesel which I am not really used to - I suspect that there is more performance available than I extracted from the Type S on the day! But, as I said, aside from that possible issue, I really liked the car.

Anyway, having thought about things, I am not going forward with a change at the moment - the financials dont really add up for me. The PX price for the Lexus was horrendous and that has caused me to question whether or not I now want to put more money into another 'big' saloon. Perhaps a sports car or even another 'hot hatch' or similar might suffer less depreciation? Or I can just hold onto my current car for another year!

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page