• 1 Post By Jon_G
  • 1 Post By maak
  • 1 Post By Jon_G
  • 1 Post By scaramanga

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 15:15 Thread Starter
Supporter

VSA light on Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDI

hi people! I've got a civic (2.2 derv) and I'm just about to buy an accord but the VSA light is on. Can this be repaired or will it pass MOT with it on?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 20:13
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,043 Posts
No, it should not pass the MoT with the VSA warning light on.

Here's some recent threads from the TypeAccord forum regarding reading and clearing ABS/VSA faults using a paperclip to short pins 4 & 9 of the OBD2 port (the SCS technique)...
OBD2 , SCS, ABS/VSA - Honda Accord Chat - TypeAccord

And a recent application of that knowledge... ABS, /!\ and VSA dashboard lights all come on but no issues? - Diesel Faults - TypeAccord
Farqui likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 20:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
No, it should not pass the MoT with the VSA warning light on.

Here's some recent threads from the TypeAccord forum regarding reading and clearing ABS/VSA faults using a paperclip to short pins 4 & 9 of the OBD2 port (the SCS technique)...
OBD2 , SCS, ABS/VSA - Honda Accord Chat - TypeAccord

And a recent application of that knowledge... ABS, /!\ and VSA dashboard lights all come on but no issues? - Diesel Faults - TypeAccord
Cheers Jon_G!

Jon_G likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 21:44
Bye bye Honda...

The scary ABS/VSA error code (especially on Accord diesel models) is 66-1. This indicates that the controller has an internal fault and requires reconditioning... will cost around £200 to have this done, plus fitting (fitting is a DIY job, but lengthy). You might want to assume this could be the reason someone wants to sell a diesel Accord with that warning light showing?

Be aware that hardly anyone ever manages to remove a faulty wheel sensor without snapping off the old one, because they corrode into the hub. I've had to drill out two of mine... time-consuming and, if on the front, there is a risk of damaging the inner ring of the wheel bearing where the magnets are located (best to remove the hub really).

Aftermarket sensors are available at a reasonable cost (unlike the Honda ones!)

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 21:47 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
The scary ABS/VSA error code (especially on Accord diesel models) is 66-1. This indicates that the controller has an internal fault and requires reconditioning... will cost around £200 to have this done, plus fitting (fitting is a DIY job, but lengthy). You might want to assume this could be the reason someone wants to sell a diesel Accord with that warning light showing?

Be aware that hardly anyone ever manages to remove a faulty wheel sensor without snapping off the old one, because they corrode into the hub. I've had to drill out two of mine... time-consuming and, if on the front, there is a risk of damaging the inner ring of the wheel bearing where the magnets are located (best to remove the hub really).

Aftermarket sensors are available at a reasonable cost (unlike the Honda ones!)

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.
Did read somewhere that flat battery can cause this. Went today to see it and battery was flat.hahaa.. couldn't even start it. It's only£500 so might risk it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 22:01
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maak View Post
Did read somewhere that flat battery can cause this. Went today to see it and battery was flat.hahaa.. couldn't even start it. It's only£500 so might risk it.

Never heard of that.

Good luck with the purchase. First move would be to simply delete all stored codes and then see which, if any, come back.

Like I say, the 66-1 is pretty much a diesel problem only... the K24 engine ones have a different controller. Don't think the K20 ones have a controller.

Otherwise Accords are pretty bulletproof, other than the clutch, exhaust manifold and timing chain 'issues' that I guess you already know about.

Civinfo is great, but you should probably join TypeAccord as well.
Farqui likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2017, 23:25
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
i had the abs/vsa light come on my civic
usually id just go my mates garage to use his code reader but hed just gone on 3 week holiday so i bought a foxwell nt 630 code reader
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diagnostics...well+nt630+pro

Car OBD2 ABS Airbag SRS Diagnostic Scan Tool Foxwell NT630 Pro Reset Code Reader | eBay

and then bought the sensor that was faulty
combined price for me was just over £100 so much cheaper than going to honda as the wheel sensor from them was £165 + vat never mind the price to put the car on there scanner
i also have my own code reader for abs and airbags which i have used on 2 other cars since buying so have made a little back towards the inital cost of the scanner think i got mine for £94 as it was on offer
Jon_G likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2017, 16:18 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Bought another bike instead. Will wait for the right one. Hopefully a nice tan leather interiored estate comes up. They are just sooo so relaxing to drive. Like boats. Thanks for replies guys!

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page