2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Considering buying 2.4

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  monks 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to give the civic to my wife, so i'm considering a bigger(and better) car.

Well, the search currently stopped on accord 2.4. Audi and bmw were too expensive.
I quite like the accord, the interior is a bit more serious than of the civic, but it is a nice ride.
Since the waiting time (in Croatia) for the diesel is 6(!) months, i'm considering about buying the 2.4 version. It has the executive pack, and i got a fairly good price for it.

I have some questions, so it would be very helpful if somebody who owns a similar car would be willing to provide some answers:

1. I can get the automatic or manual for the same price. I am aiming for the automatic, is it good, or should I get the manual transmission instead?

2. What are the weakest things of the car? With civic it was the thin paint that chips and scratches easily, and rough suspension.

3. Is the 2.4 euro5 or euro4? What is the mileage when driving in the city?

4. Is the quality of the leather on the seats ok?

edit:

5. I have read technical specification on honda croatia website, and there is stated that 2.4 with manual transmission goes 0-100kmh in 7,8 seconds while automatic transmission gets from 0-100kmh in 9,7s. That's almost 2 seconds later?! Is there a sport mode or something in automatic transmission which gives better accelerating times?

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't buy automatic, Honda has very slow and old technic automatic gearbox, it is very far from VW DSG or Audi Tiptornic...DON'T BUY!

I have no experience with this Accord, but yes with Audi Tiptornic! The Tiptronic is slower than DSG. When you floor it, it is "thinking" about 0,5 sec...it was in a 3.0 TDI Quattro A4. And it is almost fast as the manual...

Imagine Honda's, that is slower 2 sec than the manual!!!

#3 · (Edited)
The What Car Magazine site has loads of info on the Accord with UK price comparisons and user reviews of the 2.4.

Honda Accord Saloon - Summary - New Car Review - What Car?

In the UK the 2.4 depreciates a lot as it is not as fuel efficient as the diesel. The 2.4 can be a good secondhand buy if you do a low mileage

#5 ·
The manual gearbox in the Accord is very good.

The acceleration difference is probably down to the final gearing.

What annoys me is that the only Accord with sat nav you can buy over here is the 2.4 auto.

#8 · (Edited)
A bit late but;

1. I can get the automatic or manual for the same price. I am aiming for the automatic, is it good, or should I get the manual transmission instead?
Go for the automatic. I have a 2009 model Accord automatic and driven the generation before that for 4 years. Just perfect, quiet, smooth and sporty if you want. The motor it selves runs less rpm when you have the automatic. 80km/h at 1700rpm.

2. What are the weakest things of the car? With civic it was the thin paint that chips and scratches easily, and rough suspension.
Fuel consumption when you hit the floor. And that's something you are often tempted to :police:. Besides that, no issues at all. Suspension is great, although on rough roads you will feel the bumps a little, but on the highway and normal roads it's perfect. As well as the handling.

3. Is the 2.4 euro5 or euro4? What is the mileage when driving in the city?
In the city 1 to 10km should be possible.

4. Is the quality of the leather on the seats ok?
Seems okay to me. No problems after 2 years.

5. I have read technical specification on honda croatia website, and there is stated that 2.4 with manual transmission goes 0-100kmh in 7,8 seconds while automatic transmission gets from 0-100kmh in 9,7s. That's almost 2 seconds later?! Is there a sport mode or something in automatic transmission which gives better accelerating times?
You will have flippers and S-mode (sport mode)!!!:p

Hope this helpes! Good luck!

#11 ·
All current versions of the Accord is Euro 5 (at least according to Honda's brochures)

#13 ·
7th gen auto is uninspired and as said already the manual in the 7th gen is a pleasure to use.

Never tried the 8th gen auto, but if your a shed puller watch the towing weights. Honda has had some worries over the drive train on the 8th and have reduced the permissable towing weights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.