Accord facelift? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th June 2010, 22:59 Thread Starter

Accord facelift?

I recently had the chance to test drive a 2009 Accord Tourer diesel. I was both impressed and disappointed:

Looks
Build quality
Suspension
All the rest...

Turbo lag at low revs (everyone pulls away from me at traffic lights).
Leg room rear seats.
Engine rattle in interior when revving.
Steering lacks road feeling.

The 's are pretty much the weaknesses that appeared on this forum and I think they are 'showstoppers' for buying this car. Don't know... I have to check out some other D segment cars.

Regarding the engine rattle, the dealer couldn't tell me if this is better with more recent ones. (Seems he doesn't read on civinfo...)

Now I'm wondering if Honda will sort (some of) these things out in a future Accord facelift. Big question is: does anybody know if there's a facelift planned in the near future? May be 2011 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th June 2010, 23:04
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
The turbo lag and engine rattle sound wrong to me. Never noticed an issue with lag, and the rattle (diesel noises) are cured with the latest software update (well, the one around about Sept last year).

The steering is dead around the centre, and that was the one thing that stopped me from getting an Accord. I decided I wanted proper hydraulic steering, like the old Accord. The leg room is not great, but I only sit in the front!

To get a better car though, I had to look very hard, and had to spend more money. For me it was the new E class - nothing else for me was a better bet than the Accord.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th June 2010, 23:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy
The turbo lag and engine rattle sound wrong to me
Do you mean there might possibly be some issues with the Accord that I drove? It was a second hand after all.

Comparing the 2009 Accord diesel with my 2007 Civic diesel the turbo lag was very noticeable. The Civic's acceleration is very agile, whereas in the Accord I could almost count to three when pushing the throttle, waiting for something to happen. And then the diesel clattering was all around. Again I never noticed that with the Civic.

May be I should try another - more recent - one.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 1st July 2010, 01:04
Strong in me The Force is

Car: 2.2 NHB & 1.8 DBP TypeS
TBH the Accord is by far the best Honda around. My dad has the 2.0 petrol and it's fabulous.
I almost got one myself when there was a special deal on 2.0 automatics here: only € 19.900 (with dual zone aircon, USB, auto lights and wipers, flappy-pedal auto box, partial leather interior,...the lot!) My dad decided fast and got one, I thought it over a few days and I was to late...
Besides, I think I'm at least 10 years to young for an Accord. On the other hand I owned one before...

K.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 1st July 2010, 05:51
Administrator

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q149 View Post

May be I should try another - more recent - one.
Definitely!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2010, 11:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

This time I've tested a brand new Accord Saloon Diesel Executive version (= EX version in the U.K.). Indeed the engine rattle was almost absent in the interior. The turbo lag was much better as well. But still I'm doubting that the D-TEC is better than the i-CDTI. The D-TEC is noisier and it seems to like a drink when you rev it a bit. (But OK, the accord is a lot heavier than my Civic and the new engine was far from run in.)

Furthermore, I was impressed with the premium audio system sound quality.

Thanks Pottsy and Koen for the feedback.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2010, 15:13
Administrator

Eco display
I find the iDtec not quite as smooth and powerful as the Icdti, especially the one in the old Accord. But with the latest software it is very close.

In 170 bhp form though (ATS) it is great.

But thirsty.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2010, 17:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Alas, the ATS diesel isn't deliverable in Belgium, Netherlands and not even in Germany I guess.

And if it was, the tax man would rate me 2450 euros (=2.025 GBP at present) only for putting the car into traffic. And that's apart from 495 euro (408 GBP) yearly road tax.

Last edited by Q149; 3rd July 2010 at 19:24.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th July 2010, 21:14

Car: Audi A5 Sportback
Eco display
As above, think you tried a duff Accord. I have the Type-S and find the low down pull brilliant, but as Pottsy points out; it's not as economical as it could be...Avg 43!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th July 2010, 21:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi Steve,

The new one (a saloon) that I tested was a lot better. I wished the diesel Type S was available here. How I would like to test one...

Good luck with yours!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd October 2010, 12:25
Commercial user

Car: 2016 HR-V
I've just exchanged my 2010 iDtec tourer (auto) and I have to say it did need a few thousand miles before the engine really bedded-in. After that it was a lot better; good and powerful, but there was still some turbo-lag mid-corner.
The petrol car I have just changed to will also need miles to loosen it up.
Neither of them are exactly rocket ships, but they are a superbly built car (in my opinion), and I will probably choose another Accord when this one is due for change, but I will see how I get on with this one (mpg etc) before I decide whether it will be petrol or diesel.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2010, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
The turbo lag and engine rattle sound wrong to me. Never noticed an issue with lag, and the rattle (diesel noises) are cured with the latest software update (well, the one around about Sept last year).

The steering is dead around the centre, and that was the one thing that stopped me from getting an Accord. I decided I wanted proper hydraulic steering, like the old Accord. The leg room is not great, but I only sit in the front!

To get a better car though, I had to look very hard, and had to spend more money. For me it was the new E class - nothing else for me was a better bet than the Accord.
Sorry, but you can not compare E class with Accord.
C class vs. accord is more realistic.

I'm, owner of Accord 2,2 2009, tourer, 18" Sigma wheels (1 year).
Minuses:
- engine noise at low speeds (I expected more, new Mazda 6 2,2 is better)
- good steering but to soft (but nothing critical)
(The steering is dead around the centre)-I do not agree,
- ride quality on 18" wheels doesn't mach the best in the class (fine adjustment must be done)

Pluses:
- nice design, sporty look
- good gear
- nice interior
- very good seats
- engine is pulling good (more power would be better of course), but is still good (with chip tuning will be stronger with more dynamic)
- is very good car on the long distances and fast open roads, (not so good in the town - minus: engine noise and comfort with 18" wheels on bad city roads)
- the leg room is good enough
- equipment is briliant

What I would improve?

1. Engine noise (priority)
2. Steering needs more filling
3. Better/another adjustment of the shock-absorbers
4. More power (150 kW at least) is desired

"the rattle (diesel noises) are cured with the latest software update "
Only software update is enough??

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page