'07 Accord diesel - ticking engine noise / fumes - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 25th July 2010, 22:19 Thread Starter

'07 Accord diesel - ticking engine noise / fumes

Hi,
As of last friday, I'm the proud owner of a '07 diesel Accord sport, 70k on the clock.

I'm happy with it apart from two issues and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on them?

The first thing is a pretty loud ticking noise coming from the engine block. It's 'in time' with the engine, ie. speeds up when the accelerator is pressed. The sound is unnoticeable from inside the cabin, only from the outside of the car. I compared with a friends 2005 diesel Accord with similar mileage and he doesn't have it.

I'm quite worried about it. The car was a repossession and is missing some service history. It's under a 6 month gearbox and engine warranty from the (non Honda) dealer though.

The second thing is a faint smell of fumes that comes into the cabin when I turn on the (non-recirculating) aircon. To me, it smells slightly diesel-y. It goes away when I turn on the recirculator.

Going to take it to Honda next week to get it checked out anyway.

Any ideas what could be causing either of these things? Could they even be related? Dreading something like a cracked manifold. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by ReiToei; 25th July 2010 at 22:25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 03:02
Supporter

Car: 2008 CW FD2 CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiToei View Post
Hi,
As of last friday, I'm the proud owner of a '07 diesel Accord sport, 70k on the clock.

I'm happy with it apart from two issues and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on them?

The first thing is a pretty loud ticking noise coming from the engine block. It's 'in time' with the engine, ie. speeds up when the accelerator is pressed. The sound is unnoticeable from inside the cabin, only from the outside of the car. I compared with a friends 2005 diesel Accord with similar mileage and he doesn't have it.

I'm quite worried about it. The car was a repossession and is missing some service history. It's under a 6 month gearbox and engine warranty from the (non Honda) dealer though.

The second thing is a faint smell of fumes that comes into the cabin when I turn on the (non-recirculating) aircon. To me, it smells slightly diesel-y. It goes away when I turn on the recirculator.

Going to take it to Honda next week to get it checked out anyway.

Any ideas what could be causing either of these things? Could they even be related? Dreading something like a cracked manifold. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Sounds like the known issue. The welds on the exhaust manifold crack and leaks exhaust gases. I would imagine thats the ticking you can hear? It also accounts for the smell of exhaust gases in the cabin.

I have an 05 accord. Had same symptoms. Took it to dealer. They inspected and confirmed it was the manifold. They raised a warranty claim with Honda UK. Second visit, work was done. All covered under warranty. If this is the case, the lack of service history might be a sticking point for getting it replaced under warranty.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 15:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Took it down to Honda today to check VIN against remaining warranty. It expires this Friday, so thank god I got it checked out this week!

Have it booked in for Wednesday. They said they'll diagnose and order parts if needed and that it will be covered by warranty.

To be honest, I wouldn't have expected this kind of fault from an '07 Honda. I'm a previous Civic owner and it never missed a beat. Like you've said, it does sound like the known issue so will hopefully be dealt with this week.

Have a new baby on the way. The last thing I want is anybody in my family breathing in nasty diesel fumes

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th July 2010, 09:47
Supporter

Good news

Yeah you wouldn't have thought it of a Honda engine. But its Honda's first diesel. They are pretty good as they extend the warrenty to 125,000 miles or 7 years.

There is the other issue of the timing chain failure, very very rare. Just make sure you use 0w30 oil and dont use any other grade. Let us know how you get on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th August 2010, 21:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi again. Everything fixed now

Turns out the ticking noise was coming from the tensioner not being tight enough on the alternator belt, and the fumes were coming a leaking injector seal. Thankfully wasn't something like the known manifold problem.

Purring like a kitten now, and no more fumes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th August 2010, 10:36
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiToei View Post
Hi again. Everything fixed now

Turns out the ticking noise was coming from the tensioner not being tight enough on the alternator belt, and the fumes were coming a leaking injector seal. Thankfully wasn't something like the known manifold problem.

Purring like a kitten now, and no more fumes.
Good news
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st April 2012, 12:19

Car: Honda Diesel
JunkPorter
Car: Honda Diesel
Thanks given: 0
Hi

I had a problem with fumes comming into cabin of my
Honda diesel accord 2.2 2005.

It was fumes comming in from exhaust giving a

Bad smell.

Cravcked manifold.

They sorted it out quickly being a fault they

Recognised. Did not cost anything and saved

Me loads of money. Thumbs up to Honda for

A next day turnaround.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page