Honda Accord- Rattle Noise from Honda accord CTDI Tiiming Chain - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th October 2010, 23:07 Thread Starter

Honda Accord- Rattle Noise from Honda accord CTDI Tiiming Chain

The timing chain on my honda accord 56 plate has gone noisy which it has now done 90,000 miles. It makes a rattle noise when idle but whilst driving you cant hear a thing.
I just got the car last year. So i brang the car into the Honda dealer and they investigated and stripped the engine to check what the noise was. They came back to me and told me it was the timing chain and it would need replacing they quoted me 1,599 pounds to get it replaced. They then gave me a second surprise call and told me that with the timing chain the injector needs to be replaced (which is part of the work of the timing chain, which is what they told me because apprantly whilst the timing chain is replaced the injectors easily snaps? i wonder if its true?) . They contacted honda and they announced that honda would not contribute to the costs of the repair as they would only cough up if it was an 04 / 05 plate diesel as there was some sort of recall but not on any of the later models. Please help me give me some advice, i do apologise if it has already been posted but i couldnt find any solution.
Would it be better just to buy a new car? or if anyone has any garage recommendations for a cheaper cost of repair please do tell me! Hope someone on this forum can help me out! in or out around London.
please do tell me or any advise? thanks!

Update: Today i went to a local garage other than a Honda Dealer for an opinion. They said it could be a matter of things. They changed the AUX belt and said it wasnt that. They also changed the oil and filter and did the engine flush however the problem still remains only notced the noise gone down by a very very little but not much really. Any opinons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th October 2010, 10:09

Sure its not a heat shield or exhaust or something? Whats the service history like? Oil etc.?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2010, 19:00
Dr. Evil

I've never heard of the rattling timing chain being an issue limited to 04/05 plates, as far as I'm aware it's an issue throughout the iCTDI Accord range. Should be done totally free of charge under Honda's extended warranty up to 125,000 miles.

If I were you I'd give Holdcroft Honda a ring and talk to the servicing guys, they're in Stoke, but they really are Honda wizards. They'll give you a straight answer as to whether it should be covered under warranty or not. If it's not, then yes the injectors do have a tendancy to damage easily when they're removed, so Honda garages usually replace them with the timing chain as a matter of course (that is also something that is covered FOC under the extended warranty).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th April 2011, 00:55

Car: 2012 F10 BMW 520D
The rattling chain is in fact limited normally to the earlier 04/05 cars - or at least in Honda's view. They revised the chain and sprocket design for the later cars to prevent the build up of soot..

But in our experience they are all affected by it at some point, but I don't think Honda will pass a claim on the later cars unless you can prove its had a faultless service history.

Let's put it this way, my 2004 ICTDI runs only on V Power Diesel and 0w/30 oil and I'm pretty anal about its maintenance regime.. yet I had the fix done a few months back (at Holdcroft - I wouldn't trust anyone else) at 84k miles... so to me that's a design flaw and rightly covered.

But if they've revised the part then it shouldn't really be happening if you're servicing it on time..

I've seen a lot of ICTDI's now.. and even tuned some on over 200k miles. I've heard bad ones at less than 100k miles and some of the best at well over 130k miles. The point is that these engines will give you beautiful service and enjoyment as long as you maintain regular oil changes with 0w/30 and use decent fuel. It's such a simple rule.. but many still fail to follow it and treat their ICTDI's like any other conventional oil burner.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2011, 11:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Do you think a remap would/may reduce the noise of the timing chain. Its noisy like one of those London taxis. Or would anyone think flushing would be ideal or not?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6HAD View Post
The rattling chain is in fact limited normally to the earlier 04/05 cars - or at least in Honda's view. They revised the chain and sprocket design for the later cars to prevent the build up of soot..

But in our experience they are all affected by it at some point, but I don't think Honda will pass a claim on the later cars unless you can prove its had a faultless service history.

Let's put it this way, my 2004 ICTDI runs only on V Power Diesel and 0w/30 oil and I'm pretty anal about its maintenance regime.. yet I had the fix done a few months back (at Holdcroft - I wouldn't trust anyone else) at 84k miles... so to me that's a design flaw and rightly covered.

But if they've revised the part then it shouldn't really be happening if you're servicing it on time..

I've seen a lot of ICTDI's now.. and even tuned some on over 200k miles. I've heard bad ones at less than 100k miles and some of the best at well over 130k miles. The point is that these engines will give you beautiful service and enjoyment as long as you maintain regular oil changes with 0w/30 and use decent fuel. It's such a simple rule.. but many still fail to follow it and treat their ICTDI's like any other conventional oil burner.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2011, 12:23
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.6 Tourer Sport
Does this issue affect the 2.2 in the Civic?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2011, 06:28
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam123 View Post
Do you think a remap would/may reduce the noise of the timing chain. Its noisy like one of those London taxis. Or would anyone think flushing would be ideal or not?

thanks
I don't see how either would help a rattling timing chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
Does this issue affect the 2.2 in the Civic?
No, not that I'm aware of. Different engines.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th July 2011, 23:47
Supporter

Local garages will only eat ** time and money
They will make u change little things first just to make quick money out of u that s all if u want to keep ** car long just pay honda for the job and ** engine will be ok for another 100.000 miles in one condition tell them if noise is not better than u r not paying
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2011, 10:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Not going to spend around thousands of pounds getting the timing chain replaced plus the injectors which is compuslary as they say the injectors easily break when changing it. However ive noticed sometimes after the oil change it does get a little quieter but then after sometime later it will get louder again. Anyone eles has the same problem? How would it be determined if it the tensioner or something? it could be a cheaper repair bill.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th July 2011, 13:06
AoS

Car: 2013 2.0 CR-V, Passion Red
Eco display Eco display
Never heard about replacing the injectors when changing the timing belt/chain That sounds really weird.

I heard about replacing the water pump at the same time which I can understand but really cannot see the link between replacing the timing chain and the injectors.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th July 2011, 22:55

Yeah my understanding is Honda will only cover up to 05 plate on timing chain. It's big money because yes the injectors need replacing as the do smash on being pulled (done with a sliding hammer) [email protected]&"ing nightmare
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th October 2011, 05:48

My car has just returned from a 137500 mile service where they have discovered this fault and is being returned to the garage today. My car is a 54 plate CDTI Accord. Apparently this part is cvered by warranty only on the first 125000 or 7 years. Normally this part would cost around £3000 although Hondas contribution has bought it down to £1000- £1100.
I have found my dealership Aylesbury Honda to be very efficient & fair having previously negotiated a 50% contribution with Honda on a steering rack bringing the cost down to £700 from £1400. Unbelieveably this then needed to be replaced again as a second steering rack was cracked. this time Honda replaced it free of charge under a 12 month warranty. Apparently Honda have agreed to contribute as I have always had the car religiously serviced by a Honda dealership every 12500 miles. From my perspective I need to keep the car on the road for another 137500 miles or 4.5 years.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th October 2011, 23:34

Car: 2012 F10 BMW 520D
You've done really well there mate, and £1000 is a lot of money but wouldn't even cover the cost of the four injectors (parts only) so I think Honda are being very good with you. Just goes to show, even if its outside the warranty, it's always worth asking them nicely. Bear in mind its a 7 year old car now and no other manufacturer would be this good...

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/honda-accord/46603-honda-accord-rattle-noise-honda-accord-ctdi-tiiming-chain.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback 22nd March 2014 12:53
Untitled document This thread Refback 17th March 2014 21:48
???????? ?? ??????????? - Hondabg.com ?????? This thread Refback 6th November 2012 19:18
A 360 report for Honda Accord repair and trouble This thread Refback 18th October 2010 12:19