Diesel Fumes - Not Manifold! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2011, 11:23 Thread Starter

Diesel Fumes - Not Manifold!

Hi, I've had an issue with fumes on start up on my Accord diesel (2006 model) for a number of months. Particularly bad in cold weather. First thing to say is that it's not the manifold as Honda have already replaced this under warranty.

There is no smell of fumes in the engine compartment either so I dont think it's coming from the exhaust system, especially now that they've changed the manifold.

To me it seems to be related to the heater/air conditioning system. It only seems to be present when the system is running and before the car heats up. The smell dissipates (as far as I can tell anyway) when the engine reaches operating temperature.

The garage are stumped on it too. Anyvbody else experience this or is it just me? I have heard mention on other forums something about the gas assisted heater on cold start up but I cant see how that would bring exhaust fumes into the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2011, 12:35

A number of accord owners experience this as well. I've come to the conclusion its the gas assist heater that kicks in when the outside temperature is low to assist heating. Its not fumes as in engine fumes; its like a smell you'll get from an electric heater that hasn't been used for a while. I think its just the a/c system needs cleaning and when its reversing or whatever its doing it creates this smell. Haven't bothered to get mine cleaned so can't comment on if this actually cures it (and using the aerosol cans won't cure it).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2011, 12:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogs View Post
A number of accord owners experience this as well. I've come to the conclusion its the gas assist heater that kicks in when the outside temperature is low to assist heating. Its not fumes as in engine fumes; its like a smell you'll get from an electric heater that hasn't been used for a while. I think its just the a/c system needs cleaning and when its reversing or whatever its doing it creates this smell. Haven't bothered to get mine cleaned so can't comment on if this actually cures it (and using the aerosol cans won't cure it).
I'm actually convinced that it's something to do with the gas assisted heater too but the garage didn't seem to even know what it was.........

To be honest I'm relieved that at least somebody else has experienced the same problem. It's stink and I thought I was the only one with the problem.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 8th April 2011, 00:20

Car: 2012 F10 BMW 520D
Wow I didn't realise there was an Accord section here

It's the gas assist heater mate - although I'm sure you posted the same question on typeaccord

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page