New Battery, New Fault? Honda Accord 2004 Diesel - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 28th November 2011, 15:25 Thread Starter
BKP

New Battery, New Fault? Honda Accord 2004 Diesel

Hello All

Sorry long first post....

New to the forum, in fact was struggling to find a forum both UK centric + Accord focused but hoped reaching out on here might help!

I have a 2004 Accord (2.2) diesel, with 83k on the clock (FSH mainly Honda). During 4 years of ownership Iíve had no major issues, however weekend just gone/today has seen the first signs of some problemsÖ.

The car failed to start Saturday morning, called the RAC and they simply said new battery required. Sunday afternoon had the battery changed at a local garage (did under 2 miles on new battery yesterday).

This morning however the engine light appeared and limp mode kicked in, so couldnít rev over 2000! However, I completed my short journey and in quick succession did another two runs and after some stopping/starting including the ignition being switched on/off between journeys the limp mode eventually went, however the engine light remained on.

Finally when I did my last driving errand (an hour after the first cold start of the day) the engine light finally disappeared altogether and the car was running fine. Once I got home for peace of mind I called the RAC again to get a view, they popped over and plugged my Accord into their diagnostics kit and found two fault codes still stored in the ECU memory:

Fault 1: p1384 (Glow plug circuit)
Fault 2: p16a4 (OSR ABS/Speed Sensor faulty).

The weird thing is Iíve never had any issues/faults of this nature , but just think itís a hugh coincidence the problem has arisen almost immediately after the battery has been changed!

Anyone able to share any ideas on the above and whether changing the battery and resultant faults are connected (moreso the glow plug one - p1384), and is what I should try and do?

Nervous about going to Honda in the first instance (£££ís) especially with Christmas shopping around the corner!

Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 29th November 2011, 10:34

Car: 2012 F10 BMW 520D
I'm surprised you struggled to find an Accord forum, typeaccord.co.uk is the largest forum dedicated to the 7th and 8th gen Accord. Ask the question over there too..

Anyways, both those codes are not related to the battery being changed in my opinion and are both relatively common parts that fail on this car.

However if the lights have gone out, it means the ECU has not detected them in a number of consecutive runs and as far as it is concerned, the faults are clear.

So for now, I wouldn't worry too much. Glow Plug relay sometimes indicates one of the glow plugs is shot rather than the relay itself but at 83k miles I wouldn't expect this..

As I say ask the same question on typeaccord.co.uk for more answers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 4th December 2011, 19:08 Thread Starter
BKP
** Thread starter **

F6HAD

Thanks for the direction, will post over on the recommended forum.

Just for info, the car has been fine all week, although have not had extreme cold weather or left the car ‘unstarted’ for a few days.

Will keep an eye on it anyway... cheers

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Accord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page