Test Drove A HRV Yesterday - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th April 2016, 18:47 Thread Starter
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Test Drove A HRV Yesterday

Well yesterday the Tourer went for its 2nd year service so with this in mind and as we may swap the Tourer for a HRV in 6-12 months I arranged for a 1.5 petrol EX HRV for the loan car so we could give this a good test drive as this is what I suspect we would go for with a few extras (wheels and aero pack). Long story short the petrol demo was in the body shop due to one of the young sales lads running into the back of someone so we had the only other demo HRV which was a 1.6 diesel SE Navi.

Well have to be honest and say if I was offered a straight swap for the CRZ or Tourer I would not swap yes the car and ride were fine but it just did not seem as nice a place to sit as the CRZ or Tourer which could be down to the lower spec but as there was no EX in the showroom I could not compare.

Next brings me to the 1.6 diesel engine which is the same as the Civic and I know this is a decent unit but I have to say again this is not as smooth or refined as a petrol and also due to the lower rev range I also found this is not as user friendly due to have a shorter operating window. I do realise a lot of this is me not using it correctly and truth be known were as I had drove a diesel every day for the last 15 years up until September since then I have only drove a petrol once the work van went back. A good example of this was I went into a roundabout around 15-20mph in 3rd come out the other side and went to accelerate to pull forward and pull in to one lane and I was just sat there waiting were as the CRZ and Tourer would have been gone. Again this is me not using the correct gear to suit the engine but did remind me how narrow the operating window of a diesel is and even at 40MPH 6th was a no go, 5th to be honest was a no go while again the petrol Tourer and CRZ would be happy in 6th at these speeds. I have to admit once in the correct zone 2000-3500rpm the diesel was a monster and more than capable while returning around 43MPG for my 15-20miles of all stop start town driving with some mixed driving styles even though I never went over 60MPH while the 1.8 Tourer would have been around 32MPG for the same run.

I have to say I know the 1.6 diesel is a great unit and maybe if we lived more in the sticks or did silly mileage I would go for this but yesterday did really put me off plus the fact the Tourer is one week short of 2 years old and only covered 18000 miles it makes the petrol a no brainer especially with the new Turbo units on the way as you get all the mid gear pull and drive of the diesel with the flexibility of the petrol engine.

My overhaul thoughts of the HRV is that yes it was a nice car but comparing to what we have it just simply is not as nice a place to be sat driving which a lot could be down to lower spec but for sure the dash layout compared to the Civic and CRZ I found rather bland. In fact if I could describe my whole thoughts after the mornings test drive this is how I would sum up my first HRV experience "Bland". I also found the steering is not as sharp as the Civic or CRZ in the fact I notice on a big roundabout on my way home that I know it no more than half a turn were as the HRV was more like 3 quarters of a turn. I also noticed that this HRV had only done 1300miles but the dash seemed marked a lot which just made me think more of the Honda's of old and cheap dash plastics were as we all know the 9G Civic was a big improvement on the 7G and 8G for dash quality.

Out of everything I think about the bullet points were

1. Steering not that sharp
2. Interior bland / basic and did not seem to be as nice a place to sit as the Civic or CRZ
3. Sorry diesel lovers I really did not like the diesel due to the short operating window on the gears and the less refined / smooth drive as a petrol.
4. Good legroom especially in the rear which does seem better than the Civic.
5. Hatch does actually open lower than you think as I nearly banged my head on the corner of this when fully open, it may be the same with the Tourer or CRZ but will say I have never noticed due to the fact I have never banged my head on it.
6. Diesel engine is very capable and delivers good MPG when in the correct rev range but most will know this already.
7. Good ride quality and did not notice any cabin rattles.
8. Did not like the 3 passenger air vents in the middle of the dash as this is similar to the CRZ and there my Wife moans she is freezing due to getting 50% more cold air directed on her body than what you do when driving and I see this just being the same even though this would not be as bad if you could individually turn on/off each vent but I know on the CRZ you can not.
9. Last but not least the Android head unit is utter rubbish compared to the one nav unit in the 2014 SR Tourer, yes it looks nice but it is just clunky to use and let down IMO by poor operating system / software interface and yes I love Android phones.

This sums it up for me but overhaul I was really disappointed but having said that I will try again in July when the CRZ has its MOT with the 1.5 petrol EX hopefully and will be interesting if I still feel the same.

Last edited by RickHondaR; 17th April 2016 at 18:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th April 2016, 19:16
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
No 9 cost Honda a sale last month, absolute tosh isn't it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th April 2016, 19:20 Thread Starter
Living the dream!
** Thread starter **

Yeah, don't get me wrong it does seem OK and I would live with it but given a choice I know which unit I would choose everytime

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th April 2016, 19:28
Administrator

Not being linked to the IMid forces you to look down inside the cabin for navigation detail.

I would compare that to texting as your eyes are completely off the road for a few seconds.

On my current one I use the iMid info for distance and direction of the next waypoint. Before that the 8G was high up and in a safe position.

Other manufacturers are making their screens more prominent whilst the Civics drops down into the cabin.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th April 2016, 19:34
Supporter

Arrow

Rick is your tourer a petrol?
I'll be looking to change June 2017.. Waiting to see the new civic and see if there will be a tourer version
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th April 2016, 19:58 Thread Starter
Living the dream!
** Thread starter **

Yes we have a 1.8SR and like you waiting to see the new Civic or HRV, don't really need an estate and bought the Tourer as it looks better than the hatch but suspect you will not see a 10G until 2018. I really do like the thought of you new 1.5 turbo petrol with around 180bhp so thus could feel what we go for.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 18th April 2016, 06:48
Administrator

One of my sources told me that whilst the 10G is being heralded for spring 2017 a more likely date will be Aug/Sep 17.

In my case, considering the new 1 series is due 2018 is between those 2, at the moment, for 2018.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 18th April 2016, 17:55 Thread Starter
Living the dream!
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
One of my sources told me that whilst the 10G is being heralded for spring 2017 a more likely date will be Aug/Sep 17.

In my case, considering the new 1 series is due 2018 is between those 2, at the moment, for 2018.
I think we will see final images may be late this year but I agree early 2018 release
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th May 2016, 15:40 Thread Starter
Living the dream!
** Thread starter **

I have to say looking back now a good 3 weeks later I have not really looked at a HRV at all were as up to the test drive I had been looking every now and then on prices and to see if any others were on as well as a carwow quote. Just goes to show how disappointed I felt with the car but then again the petrol EX may may me think different but really do think we are now in 10G Civic territory as with the new 1.5 turbo 200bhp engine confirmed for the UK this would tick a lot of boxes missing at the moment
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th May 2016, 15:44
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Me and the Mrs went to have a look at one in the show room, we also went to Mazda and in direct competition with the cx-3 it's a no brainer for me the mass wins hands down and if it drives as good as it looks inside and out when I've finished paying for the new bike I can see my lady putting a deposit down.

Sent from my HTC M9 and the power of my thumbs.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th May 2016, 17:04 Thread Starter
Living the dream!
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy2602 View Post
Me and the Mrs went to have a look at one in the show room, we also went to Mazda and in direct competition with the cx-3 it's a no brainer for me the mass wins hands down and if it drives as good as it looks inside and out when I've finished paying for the new bike I can see my lady putting a deposit down.

I looked at the EX in the showroom a few months back and really liked what I saw but unfortunately they don't have this no more and I test drove a lower spec model and in diesel which even though the 1.6 is a great engine I just simply was more disappointed than impressed. Having said that due to the mileage we do the diesel is not a must so the MPG do not outweigh the benefits of the petrol for us. Will say the Mazda does look half decent
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th May 2016, 21:22
Supporter

Car: 2015 BSP FK2 CTR
Also looking for the mazda cx3 for the mrs. The mrs. fancied the red metallic with white or cream leather interior.
Thanks to typeRed from:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th May 2016, 22:53
No Smoke no poke

Car: 2010 Polished metal Type-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeRed View Post
Also looking for the mazda cx3 for the mrs. The mrs. fancied the red metallic with white or cream leather interior.
Think we may be looking at a white sport so will have black leather with red stitching, I like how the dash command is all integrated and very intuitive.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 18th May 2016, 22:08
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
It's just a pity they specc'ed it down so much on engine and interior, it had a lot of promise up until that point.

At that price you're competing against the class leading Quashquai, can buy all but the very top spec Mazda CX5, the Tiguan, Rav4, Jeep Renegade, at the higher end of the price range of the HRV, the Merc GLA45. I could go on.....

It's a very crowded class and unfortunately, there are other cars that offer more power and better interiors for a very similar price. I think Honda designed a nice looking car but then missed the boat on spec with engine, transmission (no 4wd) and interior design.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th June 2016, 12:20 Thread Starter
Living the dream!
** Thread starter **

Ok today we borrowed the 1.5 petrol EX HRV while the mot was carried out on the CRZ. I have to say that compared to my review of the diesel 1.6 se navi that we did think the petrol was a nicer car than the diesel. However compared to the Civic SR the quality of the finish and trip simply does lag and it is silly things like the thickness of the rear seats even down to the armrest in the rear that is around 2" thick has no cup holders and in short looks like a oversized leather lollipop stick.

Would we swap this for a Civic SR?

NO!

Last edited by RickHondaR; 11th June 2016 at 12:37.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda HR-V

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page