Driving impressions on the latest Jazz anyone - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2010, 14:37 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Driving impressions on the latest Jazz anyone

To those who've driven or own one,opinions on the latest Jazz please-these points in particular:
  • The original Jazz seemed to have 'slow' steering.Is the latest car any sharper?
  • Does the car respond well at approx. 70mph on the motorway for overtaking manouvers, or is a change down the gearbox needed?
  • Does the car hold its line when pressing on a little,say on a B road,or does it quickly lose composure?
  • Is the I-shift effective around town? or is it a little frustrating, as some of the Civic I-shift owners seem to have reported in the past?
All opinions welcommed !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2010, 15:19

Well I had a quick test drive and was really underwhelmed. I remember getting out and the dealer asked what I thought. My answer "well it's a car" he laughed and let me try a civic type s 2.2d and then a civic 5dr 1.8. I ordered the 1.8 civic since I don't really do many miles and need tge extra doors for the family.

All that said I didn't find anything wrong with the jazz, just seemed a bit boring to me. When you consider I currently drive a huge Nissan pathfinder I expected any "normal" car to feel a bit more fun through the bends.

Btw I love my Chelsea tractor in the snow
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2010, 15:20
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i ES - S/Pearl Blue
cb550

If it's of any help, you'll find some further comments under the thread 'honda jazz message board'.
Thanks to RobS from:

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2010, 18:44 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the info' RobS. Am I correct you have the Jazz and the Civic 1.8? If so,how do they stack up against each other/any comments on the starter thread queries?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2010, 21:39
Supporter

Car: Orchid White GG6 Si
The new Jazz is BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRING its built for grannies. Yes the steering response is still light and slow and unresponsive, but when parking up it suddenly goes heavy like the sort of cheap arcade feel of 'force feedback' you get on driving games!
The granny seats offer no support round roundabouts, Yes the car handles like a boat and sends your face flying to the nearest side window when you corner.
The 1.4 I-VTEC engine struggles at low revs and strains even more at high revs. Even going in the 'zone' its just all sound and slow progress. Motorways are a pain too you might even need to shift from fifth to third to overtake cars going 70mph, downshifting from fourth will take forever to overtake. Also cruising at 70mph engine noise is pretty loud as well as wind and road noise, pretty disappointing!
One more nail in the coffin for me is insurance is almost 500 more to insure me than it is to insure me on a Clio 1.2 turbo (and that has 100bhp!!)
Only things I do like about the Jazz are the rear LED lights, magic seats, but oh wait, my CTR seats do the same.. and erm, the super absorbant suspension, it bounces like a bouncy castle over speed bumps, and takes care of your bum like Triple Velvet (Soft Soft SOFT!)

My review is a little biased as I own a CTR and I treat my mums Jazz like a slut cos she needs a good spanking to get some bloody speed!!

Anything else you want to know, just ask! I'll give you some more low down on it

Last edited by jameseh; 17th February 2010 at 21:48. Reason: additional info
Thanks to jameseh from:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th February 2010, 13:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameseh View Post
The new Jazz is BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRING its built for grannies. Yes the steering response is still light and slow and unresponsive, but when parking up it suddenly goes heavy like the sort of cheap arcade feel of 'force feedback' you get on driving games!
The granny seats offer no support round roundabouts, Yes the car handles like a boat and sends your face flying to the nearest side window when you corner.
The 1.4 I-VTEC engine struggles at low revs and strains even more at high revs. Even going in the 'zone' its just all sound and slow progress. Motorways are a pain too you might even need to shift from fifth to third to overtake cars going 70mph, downshifting from fourth will take forever to overtake. Also cruising at 70mph engine noise is pretty loud as well as wind and road noise, pretty disappointing!
One more nail in the coffin for me is insurance is almost 500 more to insure me than it is to insure me on a Clio 1.2 turbo (and that has 100bhp!!)
Only things I do like about the Jazz are the rear LED lights, magic seats, but oh wait, my CTR seats do the same.. and erm, the super absorbant suspension, it bounces like a bouncy castle over speed bumps, and takes care of your bum like Triple Velvet (Soft Soft SOFT!)

My review is a little biased as I own a CTR and I treat my mums Jazz like a slut cos she needs a good spanking to get some bloody speed!!

Anything else you want to know, just ask! I'll give you some more low down on it
OK! thanks for the low down! Perhaps I was half expecting it would be a better driver (thinking original Ka with its decent ride,sharp handling and capable motorway engine)

Just returned home(Notts) from a journey to Bromsgrove and the 2.2 Civic is a monster really,out on the motorway-comfortable too.Next gen. Civic may be the way after all
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th February 2010, 14:23
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i ES - S/Pearl Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550 View Post
Thanks for the info' RobS. Am I correct you have the Jazz and the Civic 1.8? If so,how do they stack up against each other/any comments on the starter thread queries?

Yes, we do own both a 1.4 Jazz and a 1.8 Civic and they cannot be truly compared as they are totally different cars and aimed at very different Markets.

I think jameseh's comments are in many ways biased as he is comparing the Jazz to his Civic.

Both these cars have the same great space flexibility, as the Jazz has a less sloping back contour than the Civic, it can accomodate a 'Longer Load' - which I have recently experienced!

I can't agree with his comments about the Jazz steering when Parking - having said that, the Honda systems in both my cars are not as good as some other makers.

The Jazz's 1.4 Vtec Engine is a big improvement over the previous Jazz (Dsi) Engines, I will be able to comment more when more miles are on the clock as our previous Jazz seemed to really loosen up after about 25000 miles.

I don't agree that the engine noise is 'pretty loud' when cruising at 70mph, at least not in our car (above 75mph I would agree)! AND wind noise is acceptable too.

Insurance - always relative to Car grouping AND 'AGE', the Jazz is I think in Group 2 (maybe 3!) - just renewed ours this week 172, three named drivers (2xMature + 1x28 years)

jameseh, what does anyone expect when going over Speed Humps - either some absorbtivity or severe suspension damage? My Civic is certainly not as comfortable (due to it's harder suspension settings) over many Speed Humps in my area!

So would I personally choose a Jazz or the Civic?

Well, no contest IMHO, give me the Civic anyday - but the Jazz is a good car and should not be compared in Handling or Performance terms - it's not made to meet that sought of market!

So where is the Jazz Type R?

Last edited by RobS; 18th February 2010 at 14:39.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th February 2010, 21:51
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ES, NHB
Recently got the chance to drive a Jazz for a couple of hours while my car was being looked at by the dealer (clutch problems, booo )

I drove the 1.2 version and i must say it felt absolutely gutless

That said, its not a car you buy to fly round at breakneck speeds. It was a lot more comfortable over any bumps than the Civic. The lights that guide you when to change gear were on a different planet, changing from 3rd to 4th at 25mph ~1.2k rpm to maintain economy but stress the engine :S

I agree that perhaps it should not be compared to the Civic. If you are looking for the drive/functionality of the Civic you will be disappointed, if you are after a car with good all round visibility and a comfy town car for pottering about its probly the right car to look at.

I would not say it is a bad car at all, perhaps very good in it's class. Other cars i consider are in this class could be the Toyota IQ and the Fiat 500. The Toyota IQ i have sat in, and it certainly feels like a very smart car in its class. The Fiat 500 looks awesome Not certain which i would pick out of those 3 to be honest!

Anyway, i hope its helped at least a little

BFM
Thanks to BurningFeetMan from:
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 21st February 2010, 02:17
Supporter

Car: Orchid White GG6 Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Yes, we do own both a 1.4 Jazz and a 1.8 Civic and they cannot be truly compared as they are totally different cars and aimed at very different Markets.

I think jameseh's comments are in many ways biased as he is comparing the Jazz to his Civic.

Both these cars have the same great space flexibility, as the Jazz has a less sloping back contour than the Civic, it can accomodate a 'Longer Load' - which I have recently experienced!

I can't agree with his comments about the Jazz steering when Parking - having said that, the Honda systems in both my cars are not as good as some other makers.

The Jazz's 1.4 Vtec Engine is a big improvement over the previous Jazz (Dsi) Engines, I will be able to comment more when more miles are on the clock as our previous Jazz seemed to really loosen up after about 25000 miles.

I don't agree that the engine noise is 'pretty loud' when cruising at 70mph, at least not in our car (above 75mph I would agree)! AND wind noise is acceptable too.

Insurance - always relative to Car grouping AND 'AGE', the Jazz is I think in Group 2 (maybe 3!) - just renewed ours this week 172, three named drivers (2xMature + 1x28 years)

jameseh, what does anyone expect when going over Speed Humps - either some absorbtivity or severe suspension damage? My Civic is certainly not as comfortable (due to it's harder suspension settings) over many Speed Humps in my area!

So would I personally choose a Jazz or the Civic?

Well, no contest IMHO, give me the Civic anyday - but the Jazz is a good car and should not be compared in Handling or Performance terms - it's not made to meet that sought of market!

So where is the Jazz Type R?
Yeah sorry I was very harsh about the Jazz I had to vent off some steam at work and this thread was just, here!
I'm not knocking the ride of the Jazz, it is really comfortable and soaks up broken tar brilliantly, but comparing it to the Clio and 206 its considered just a tad firmer (IIRC, the older version Jazz was even firmer)
Personally I found road and wind noise on the Jazz noisy as it matches my old 206 on motorways, and I considered that car quite a low benchmark to beat when it comes to refinement, so was let down when the Jazz was similar to this (then again the Civic isn't much far behind either!)
Just for your info RobS, I compared insurance between a 58reg Jazz 1.4 iVTEC and a 59reg Clio Dynamique 1.2TCE (the new engine that replaced the 1.4) anyone would expect the Clio to be more expensive to insure as its newer, has a turbo, and isn't exactly low spec.
To balance up my harsh little review I'll add up more things I like about the Jazz:
- easy door entry, seat belt being easy to reach and doors being nice and slim when getting out of tight parking spots
- great MPG, I manage around 44MPG when delivering!
- very quiet engine when idling, sometimes you can't even tell its on! (until the fan kicks in)
- power folding mirrors as standard, they fold quicker than the Civic!
- has a REAR WIPER
If you really want to buy a Jazz, get a 1.4, I can't imagine how underpowered the 1.2 will be.. can't comment on the diesels though.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 21st February 2010, 02:47
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
I've had one as a courtesy car when the wife's EX went in for the MICU 'product update'.

No doubt I'll get one when the FN2 goes in for the third gear replacement on Monday.

The one we had was an EX, so had Climate, Cruise, Auto wipers etc. Seemed very well specified to be honest.

The dash readout was very similar to the Civic giving rage, average MPG, instant MPG etc. The steering wheel felt surprisingly good in the hands, and the gear change was positive. It did have annoying lights to tell you when to change up and down gear but on the plus point did manage 45+ MPG.

It was the 1.4 so won't set your world on fire with 0-60 of 11.8 seconds.

The most alarming thing for me however was the lock. 3 and 1/2 turns from lock to lock, and to go round a normal 90 junction at the lights you had to do almost a full turn of the wheel. This was so different from the Civic I very nearly stuffed the car running wide on the first corner pulling out of the dealers... It was very off putting and no doubt if you were to try and press on in it, the amount you have to turn the wheel would make things very difficult indeed.

It could not under any circumstances be called a B-road blaster. It and/or I simply could notcope with the steering on twisty roads!!
Thanks to Loxy from:
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 25th February 2010, 11:45

The jazz was never intended to be a driver's car so I would judge it that way. As someone said above, if that is something you look for in a car you're better off getting a Civic unless you're prepared to modify your jazz.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 25th February 2010, 11:50 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCNJ View Post
The jazz was never intended to be a driver's car so I would judge it that way. As someone said above, if that is something you look for in a car you're better off getting a Civic unless you're prepared to modify your jazz.
Thanks for your points Do you own or have driven the new Jazz?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st March 2010, 22:12

Car: 2013 1.6 I-Dect Milano Red
Jazz hits the right note!

I owned a 1.4 civic which I had for three years and was very happy with it's performance. I changed it this year for a 1.4 i-vtec Jazz i-shift. I have now done 3000kms in the Jazz. My observations would be that the steering is slightly more vague in the Jazz and it does not give the same confidence in corners. However the performance is a lot better (more bhp lighter car) and I am really impressed with the fuel consumption. Travelled 250kms today mostly on motorway at 130kms/hr (80 mph) and the car returned an average of 56 mpg. this is a lot better than the Civic did in similar circumstances. I am now very fond of the i-shift. On light throttle openings it can catch you out by changing up too soon when entering a roundabout but when you get used to it you just have to press harder on the throttle. Manual shifts with the wheel paddles are instant and almost unnoticable. As has been mentioned before, the Jazz has a different character to the civic and fulfills a different purpose but it has a lot of room and is the only small car to fit my two requirements - could I get my golfclubs into the boot and could I put 2.4m lengths of timber into the car!
My thinking in changing the car was as follows: new civic coming next year so if I buy a new civic it will take a huge depreciation hit so buy a Jazz instead and give it to the wife next year when I will trade in her Yaris for a new CRZ. Makes sense to me anyway! However. I have to say that I am enjoying driving the Jazz, it really goes when you get the revs up!
Thanks to gsyme from:
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th March 2010, 12:29

Car: 09 Type R GT Crystal Black
Quote:
To those who've driven or own one,opinions on the latest Jazz please-these points in particular:
  • The original Jazz seemed to have 'slow' steering.Is the latest car any sharper?
  • Does the car respond well at approx. 70mph on the motorway for overtaking manouvers, or is a change down the gearbox needed?
  • Does the car hold its line when pressing on a little,say on a B road,or does it quickly lose composure?
  • Is the I-shift effective around town? or is it a little frustrating, as some of the Civic I-shift owners seem to have reported in the past?
All opinions welcommed !
The new Jazz drives fairly similarly to the old Jazz. The 1.2 engine in the new Jazz gives pretty similar performance to the 1.4 engine in the old Jazz. The biggest differences IMO are in terms of styling and roominess (ie the new one is a little bigger).

Personally, I think that any model Jazz is a very practical and reliable 'around town' car. Whilst noise levels on the motorway are no worse than the Civic, the Jazz soon runs out of steam when accelerating at motorway speeds. Having said that. if the road is quiet then the Jazz will happily croise all day at the motorway limit. So overall I think that it is OK for the odd motorway journey, but it would not be the best car to buy if you do many motorway miles.

Depreciation is excellent for the Jazz, which helps make it a good value purchase in terms of overall running costs. Reliability is usually excellent.

Also, visibility is good, which helps with parking etc. And the load carrying capacity of the Jazz continues to amaze me for such a relatively small car.

The Jazz feels safe to drive and holds its line safely when accelerating or going around a bend.

I dont really notice much difference between the steering of the old and new Jazz.

Hope this helps a bit
Thanks to PaulBaz from:
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11th March 2010, 13:22

Quote:
Thanks for your points Do you own or have driven the new Jazz?
My wife has an 05 jazz (GD1) but I've driven the new one as a courtsey car. I have an EP3-R myself so I can see from both perspectives if you like.

Both the old and new jazzes are very "chuckable" but they are by no means quick if you know what I mean. The new one felt like it had better gear ratios and more torque, something the GD1 really struggles with at low revs.

But as I said, if you do like the jazz and prepared to modify it then I'd say go for it as the new one does seem to have a good chassis - otherwise get a civic.
Thanks to SuperCNJ from:
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11th March 2010, 14:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCNJ View Post
My wife has an 05 jazz (GD1) but I've driven the new one as a courtsey car. I have an EP3-R myself so I can see from both perspectives if you like.

Both the old and new jazzes are very "chuckable" but they are by no means quick if you know what I mean. The new one felt like it had better gear ratios and more torque, something the GD1 really struggles with at low revs.

But as I said, if you do like the jazz and prepared to modify it then I'd say go for it as the new one does seem to have a good chassis - otherwise get a civic.
Thanks for the comments CNJ.Was at the Dealers yesterday having my car checked for replacement bump stops.Sales guy there mentioned later this year the Jazz will be getting the 7 speed CVT transmission.Perhaps that would make the car an interesting proposition,although I probably will wait for the next gen. Civic if its out any time 2011.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th May 2010, 12:27
Supporter

I had a 06 Jazz Sport from new which essentially was a good solid reliable car that was comfy and economical. My Mum and Dad have a brand new Jazz each. They are the top of the range (EX?) with the glass roof, cruise, bluetooth etc. I`ve been borrowing my Dads alot just lately to do 80 mile commutes. Over my old car, the new one is bigger, slightly more economical, slightly quieter and more sprightly.
I would have to add though that the steering is still vague at times and the only thing that would stop me from getting one is the fact that the Japanese get a 1.5 with 120bhp which for me is what it really needs. I don`t like overtaking in the present one as you really have to get it wound up. As a town car and a gentle cruiser its definately fit for purpose. For me and my commute to work with the often overtaking i need to do it would be too much like hard work. I think it boils down to what you would predominantly use it for. My brother has a new Toyota Yaris which is similar money, but it doesn`t seem quite as well built and also lacks the space.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th May 2010, 14:08
gmp

Quote:
Thanks for the comments CNJ.Was at the Dealers yesterday having my car checked for replacement bump stops.Sales guy there mentioned later this year the Jazz will be getting the 7 speed CVT transmission.Perhaps that would make the car an interesting proposition,although I probably will wait for the next gen. Civic if its out any time 2011.
Will the cvt replace the i shift for the jazz - if so I will certainly be interested when I come to replace my civic i shift(not that I don't like the ishift) but much prefer cvt transmision.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th May 2010, 15:47 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmp View Post
Will the cvt replace the i shift for the jazz - if so I will certainly be interested when I come to replace my civic i shift(not that I don't like the ishift) but much prefer cvt transmision.
This is what the guy on the desk said when I was in the showroom.I suggest popping down to your dealer and having a chat with them;maybe they'll have some detailed info' on forthcoming options for the Jazz.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th May 2010, 10:50

The new Jazz might be for grannies. My prevoius car was a new shape civic the 2.2 diesel performance was awesome. Having said that I went back to the dealer at least eight times with faults. Touch wood no problems so far after 18 month's with the 1400cc ex .Jameseh has really done his research the Jazz don't make a diesel engine.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page