Jazz to Civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 09:46 Thread Starter
Supporter

Jazz to Civic

Hello to everyone, Buzby here I live in South Manchester I have been driving Honda cars since I passed my test. I have just taken the plunge and ordered a new Civic 1.8VTEC ES

I Hope I have done the right thing !!

I am trading in my Jazz sport which will be two years old at the end of february it has been an absolutely cracking car and the build quality was second to none.

I discovered this forum after I had ordered my Civic so am hoping that some of the niggles members have described have been ironed out. All my previous Hondas have been built in japan so keep fingers crossed !!

Buzby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 10:04
Supporter

Welcome and good upgrade

The 07 models seems a lot better, so you shouldn't have that much trouble.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 10:25
Nice Guy!

Car: Volvo V40, D4, Se Lux
Welcome Buzby,

As Meino said '07 cars seem to be much better

what other Honda's have you had?

When is your car due ?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 10:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Brodick

My Civic is due 1st March

Previous cars:-

1978 1238cc Civic 5 Door
1982 1335cc Civic 5 Door
1987 1300cc Civic 3 Door
1991 1400cc CivicGL 3 Door
1992 1600cc Civic ESi 3 Door
1990 2.0i Accord Aerodeck
2005 Honda Jazz 1.4 Sport

Was a bit of a shock to read the problems some members have had with their Civics. I hope they manage to get them corrected. I have always found Honda build quality and reliability to be excellent and after test driving the Civic the other day I was blown away with it. So just hoping that it lives up to expectations !
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 10:45
Nice Guy!

Car: Volvo V40, D4, Se Lux
Most of the problems relate to some of the early build '06 cars
all manufacturers have problems when they start building an all new model
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 17:45
Supporter

Strangely enough I traded up from a Jazz sport too. My car was actually one of the first imported into the UK (on a 51 plate) and was so reliable that I was really sorry to see it go (had to sell though, due to an overseas move).

Routine servicing all the way, coupled with great economy and a surprising turn of speed, made it a fab little car. And it felt absolutely bullet proof!

Now, having got my 1.8, so far I'm really pleased. The Civic has a more grown up feel, with lots of nice soft touch plastics (as opposed to the Jazz with its shiny facia) and obviously has far more grunt. Certainly with goodies such as cruise control, it makes for a lovely drive on motorways and dual carriageways, while on the twisty bits the Civic is very accomplished (though I think the ride quality is no better than the Jazz). There's also a capacious boot, comfy seats and, of course, a wonderfully designed dashboard. Those blue backlit dials and red starter button still make the car special for me (and every trip fun) despite the new car feeling wearing off a bit.

Fortunately, it also has magic seats just like the Jazz, which makes it very versatile for moving stuff (and, apart from anything else, they're a great help when vacuuming).

There's a couple of things I do miss though. The Jazz was spookily quiet at idle. So much so that my mates used to think I hadn't actually started the car. The DSI engine was arguably more refined throughout the rev range too, with the Civic's 1.8 becoming boomy at about 4000rpm (essentially when it ceases being an economy 1.5 litre engine and turns into a much more potent 1.8 ).

Also, the round gear knob was much nicer to hold in the Jazz than the Civic's. And, dare I say it, the change was better too.

I would also say that build quality on the Jazz was better. Not by much, but with that car, I always had the impression it would go on and on and on. With the Civic I hope that's the case (so far so good) but I'll reserve judgement for now. Let's just say, if they built the Civic in Japan, that would be the icing on the cake!

So, in summary, I really miss the Jazz. If I had the cash, I think there'd be room in my garage for both. However, do I regret buying the Civic? Not one iota! It's a corking car and one that I always really look forward to driving. And I especially like the fact that it's so different and radical to most cars on the road that, even now, more than a year after launch, it's still turning heads!!

So relax Buzby, you've made a very good choice!!

Last edited by jayt43; 16th February 2007 at 17:48.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 18:03

Hi Buzby - welcome to the site. I think that you have made a great choice. i hope you enjoy your new purchase
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 19:03 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Firstly, can I just thanks to everyone who has welcomed me here !!

Especially to Jayt43 who has previously done a similar thing to what I am doing.

I will be so sad to see Jazzmine ( My Jazz ) go because I think it is the greatest small car since the original Mini. Never a rattle or failed to fire 1st time, a minature Accord I thought.

After joining this site and looking at the gripes that some members have had with their Civics I was on the point of cancelling my order. I have never had a bad Honda. I even inherited my late fathers 1985 Accord 1.8Ex only selling her at 20 years old to buy my Jazz (with tears in my eyes I might add) but went to a good home and still going strong.

I'm looking forward to my new Civic and thanks to the response in here feel more at ease now.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

Buzby
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 16th February 2007, 19:30
Supporter

Hi buzby welcome to the forum and you have done the right thing ENJOY
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2007, 12:10
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
indeed - welcome aboard Buzby - sure it'll all be fine
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2007, 15:04
Supporter

Buzby,

Agree entirely with your sentiment about the Jazz being like the original mini. As a package, it's still streets ahead of the competition, with accommodation that was positively tardis like!!

The good news is that leg room in the Civic is even better. You can stretch out in the back even with a tall person in the driving seat. Plus, storage is also really good with a cavernous glovebox and the central armrest stowage area being able to take CDs and all manner of stuff without cluttering up the rest of the car.

And certainly, now that bugs have been worked out at the factory, I think most 2007 cars are pretty good build wise. Pottsy even mentioned that the fuel filler problem had finally been resolved with the help of a little spring

Certainly, with the exception of a few members here, most faults seem to niggly ones which can be resolved at 1st service.

What's more, most people still love their cars, despite the teething problems. Not so sure many people with Ford Focuses or Astras would be as enthusiastic under the same circumstances!!

Anyway, here's hoping all goes well for you!

Last edited by jayt43; 17th February 2007 at 15:06.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2007, 19:15 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

jayt43,

Thanks again for your words, am lookin forward to my 1.8VTEC ES when I had the test drive so reminded me of my Accord Aerodeck EXi from1989

Now she was a flying machine in sheeps clothing. And insurance was cheap too being classed as an estate !!!

The speed and refinement of that car will stay with me forever!

Speed ? well cant talk about that here but she was quick !

Hope my new machine can live up to it.

My Jazz in garage, strokin her every time I pass her wish I too had the funds and space to keep her as well, oh well.

Buzby .
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 17th February 2007, 19:20 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Forgot to mention !!!

F O R D .......................... Found On Road Dead................. my canadian friends call them.

I hope never to be seen in a Ford ... erghhhhhhhhhhhhh * Vomit *

lol
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th February 2007, 06:30
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby View Post
Forgot to mention !!!

F O R D .......................... Found On Road Dead................. my canadian friends call them.

I hope never to be seen in a Ford ... erghhhhhhhhhhhhh * Vomit *

lol
I like your attitude there! I had the misfortune of driving a new Focus for a few hours the other day, the dashboard was terrible, hard black plastic, rubbish design, seat position too high. It did handle nicely but overall I felt like...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th March 2007, 12:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Civic has arrived !!!

Hello all,

Had my new Civic 1.8 ES since thursday, and so far it's fabulous really really pleased. Find it hard to reverse park but hopefully will get more used to it. Only thing I have noticed so far is that the speedo seems to be about 4 or 5 MPH fast, I thought I was going slow when driving in a 30 MPH zone I checked it using my tomtom and is definately 4 to 5 MPH over actual speed, my Jazz's speedo was spot on when compared to my tomtom. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted?

But think the car is great and so far really pleased.

Buzby
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th March 2007, 15:36

Buzby

You cannot allways rely on Tom Tom, a friend of mine got a speed ticket while his Tom Tom showed that he was not speeding.
Your speedo in the car might be good anyway
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th March 2007, 19:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Speedo

Hi,

No sticking to my guns on this one my Jazz speedo was spot on with my tomtom.

My new Civic's speedo definately 4 to 5 MPH above actual speed, went through a 30 MPH zone I thought I was going slow, and had a trail of cars behind me all anxious to pass. Tomtom was spot on with Jazz's speed so definately a Civic speedo prob.

Buzby
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th March 2007, 19:21
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
The speedo deliberately over reads:

Read more about it in this thread: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthr...t=over+reading
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th March 2007, 19:32

Have you got the original factory-fit wheels and tyres (or a replacement set with the SAME rolling circumference) and are they inflated correctly?

It is normal for a car's speedo to read high so that you can't sue the manufacturer if you get done for speeding when the car reports that you are doing 29MPH.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th March 2007, 19:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Speedo

Bog standard Civic 1.8 ES like I said speedo in jazz was spot on with tomtom. My new civic is 4 to 5 mph ahead. I cannot see a reason for this i think it is daft that it over-reads by 5 mph, i can get used to this but i still think t should be accurate to within a couple of mph after allthe jazz was spot on !

Buzby

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page