Jazz Tyre Wear - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th September 2010, 07:26 Thread Starter
Supporter

Jazz Tyre Wear

A friend of mine has a 1.4 Jazz.

Front tyres have uneven wear (inside edges faster than outside edge)

Told need to be replaced

13,000 miles from new and driver OAP so not "boy racer"

Is this normal or is there a problem?

Tracking has been checked.

Pressures OK

Dunlop sports

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th September 2010, 15:21
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ES, NHB
Sounds like its running with a bit of toe-out. Not sure how far you will get with Honda though as 13k they may consider reasonable even though we all know its not.

BFM
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2010, 08:03 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan View Post
Sounds like its running with a bit of toe-out. Not sure how far you will get with Honda though as 13k they may consider reasonable even though we all know its not.

BFM
Thank you for that.

Will pass on the info to him

Any more thoughts anyone?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2010, 14:35

The tyre life seems about right (compared with our Jazz). Our's came with Bridgestone Potenza REO40's (there's about 8 variations so its not the ones fitted to a Scooby!)

Tyres usually wear more in the inside - more so on town driven cars. So as long as its a 'normal' pattern and not too severe it sounds like its ok.

I would stick with Sporty (soft) tyres as it really does have short suspension travel its quite tall and boxy. IMO needs grippy tyres more so than a regular super mini
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th November 2010, 21:32

kferret

do you think 13k is good,just changed my potenzas at 29k which i thought was ok considering the way i drive ,keep them up to 40 lbs pressure transforms the handling,and while i cant hope to live with my wifes abarth on any decent piece of windy road ,it takes a lot to break traction.i would be surprised to reach the wear limit in less than 20k
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th November 2010, 21:42
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.6 Tourer Sport
Just changed the tyres on our Jazz at about 37k.
fronts were swopped to rear about half way through.
Fronts wore more on the outer edges
Rears wore more on the inner edges
neither by much tho.
Tracking never been done, wear was very even side to side.
13k seems very low
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th November 2010, 00:32

The TWR (Tread Wear Rating) gives how soft or hard the tyre is compared to a control tyre. But on occasion this figure is 'adjusted' (manipulated) by the marketing side of the tyre firms.

That said it still will give a reasonable idea of comparative tyre life.

My Mazda 3 also runs Potenza's (different tread pattern XY not DZ) and I get about 13K from that too. Turanza's a step down in sporty-ness I would imagine have a better TWR score.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 17:49

I was very interested to see that other Jazz drivers are experiencing very low tyre mileage. We have just had to buy two front tyres at 16,750 miles. The car was bought late 2010.
My wife and I are careful drivers so we were expecting s good tyre life.
Having driven for over forty-five years with tyre replacements at 30,000 minimum I am very disappointed with the Jazz.
It is a brilliant little car in every way but this lets it down.
Allegedly manufacturers do not necessarily check the tracking prior to delivering the car and on checking the tracking today it was out enough to give greater wear on the insides. I would think that this has been like it since new.
It would be good for somebody at Honda to make a comment.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyver View Post
We have just had to buy two front tyres at 16,750 miles. The car was bought late 2010
IMO this is entirely normal with our Jazz. Most cars do tend to come with softer sporty tyres. Bridgestone Potenza's being OEM fitment on the Jazz.

'Tyre wear' is only an issue with a car if the car chews up the inside\outside of its tyres prematurely. If you have even tyre wear from inside to outside then there's nothing wrong with the alignment or the car settings itself and its just down to the softness of the tyres.

You could consider fitting a harder (more eco based tyre) but you'd have to consider the consequences on a relatively tall and short wheel based car on less grippy tyres.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th April 2012, 06:12

Car: 2010 1.4 type S, Silver
Had similar problems with Dunlops on a 7th gen Civic and a Rover 400. The outside wore quickly and they only lasted about 20k miles. Replaced them with decent tyres that lasted over 30k miles. So didnt consider anything wrong with the car, just Dunlop tyres.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th April 2012, 10:19

Dunlop SP31 on my '59' GE Jazz. Excess wear on just the inside inch front tyres suggesting toe-out. Which I thought might contribute to annoying steering wander on motorway at straight-ahead, too.

Honda technician measured the tracking as 'OK' as he/they had done a few thousand miles earlier, too, when I initially expressed concern.

Nevertheless at 13,000 miles I had them realigned. And 'rotated' to rear bringing evenly worn rears to front. Otherwise those front tyres would have been past worn smooth on the inside edges by now.

At 23,000 miles fronts are worn perfectly with 7,000 miles life remaining - at least. All 4 Dunlops look likely to do 30,000 or more. Steering tracks much better on motorway straight ahead, too... noticed immediately after front wheels alignment job.

Of course tracking is not supported by warranty and I took it to an independent tyre fitter who quoted half Honda's price for the realignment. I watched the whole job and he pointed out the mis-alignment. Not great but probably enough to wear the tyres on that inside edge, he said.

When I asked additionally for rotation fronts to rear did that for no extra cost.

26.50 inc vat.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page