Faulty gearbox bearings...and how to save a packet! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2011, 08:19 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: '59 CTR, Black, satnav & hft
Thumbs up Faulty gearbox bearings...and how to save a packet!

Hi all

For anyone with a Jazz in the family, I just wanted to share this tip on a warranty extension for gearbox parts on older Jazz models from 03 onwards.

A couple of weeks ago, I was out in the wife's 04 plate 1.4SE Sport. There was a very clear whine as I pulled off in first, also noticeable in 2nd but as soon as you pick up speed (in a Jazz..???) the engine noise drowned it out.

But it's very distinct, similar to the noise a car makes in reverse.

Sounded as if it was coming from the tranmission, so gritted my teeth and got ready for an expensive repair bill.

Did some web-trawling to try and help diagnose the fault before taking it to my local independent. Seems that the problem stems from faulty gearbox bearings which - given the fact that a lot of Jazzes are sold on their reliabilty - Honda has seen fit to honour under an extended warranty of up to 7 years.

Honda Jazz/Fit (2001 - 2008) - 03 1.4 Gearbox Bearings and G/box oil changes. | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John

Now at first I thought too good to be true, but worth a punt. Quick call to Brindley Honda in West Bromwich expecting a big fight... but nothing of the sort. They checked with Honda UK and, subject to me proving the car has a full service history (which it has), the work was all covered.

Car is booked in for Monday. It's an 8-hour job so I'm told and other owners seem to have been quoted 800-900 from main dealers for it, around 500 from a good indy.

So if any old shape Jazz owners are experiencing a similar problem, it's worth asking the question.

See below for the technical service bulletin reference, or follow the link above:

if anyone else is having trouble getting their dealership to believe this issue is covered under an extended warranty, just quote TSB number SJ 04-008-03 to them. They will have to believe you then Oh, and make sure you have full service history, and if your car is an 03/04 reg I'd get it done ASAP - as the warranty is 7 years or 100,000 miles the period is nearly up for the earliest cars covered

Cheers

Nick

PS - and I have to say I'm impressed so far with Brindley in West Brom. I'm not the biggest fan of the group having had issues with their old Birmingham branch (now closed) and Cannock branch. But these guys have been fantastic, totally open about the work being covered under extended warranty, inspected the car promptly and kept me informed all the way. Heck they even cleaned it inside and out while inspecting it, must have been a quiet day at the office!!!!

I'll report back once the work is completed early next week.
Thanks to Olas from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th February 2012, 20:01

Talking Saving a packet!

Thanks to this thread I called the Honda dealer in Milton Keynes, took my Jazz in today and yes the gearbox whine is covered by the extended warranty!!!

The service advisor did say that it only applies to some gearboxes not all.

Still came back within 10 minutes to say it was covered and how soon could they have the car to fix it.

Many many thanks for this - my regular service garage quoted 800 for a new gearbox.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th March 2012, 09:57 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Great news mate, glad you've been able to get it sorted

Nick

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th September 2012, 16:48

Thank you !!!!!!!

Want to say a big Thank You to the thread and posters in here.
For about 2 months i have noticed a whine when setting off and i could only describe it as the same sound when reversing.

Found this thread and my heart sunk when i found it was probably the gear bearings and the prices that i were finding from Honda & independents.

But thanks to some very nifty knowledge from here, i went to Honda at Old Trafford & have it booked in for saturday under the warranty.

They will take it for a test drive 1st but the service desk bloke said it does sound like that.

Thanks so much !

1st time poster !
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th September 2012, 19:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Great to hear mate and you're more than welcome! That's the joy of the community on here, sharing experiences and our love of all things cars.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

Nick
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th September 2012, 23:23
Supporter

Car: 59 cw CTR
The wife had her 05 plate Jazz gearbox reconned free of charge a couple of years ago. The car was in for a recall on the window switch i believe. The garage actually pointed it out. So very pleased especially after five years.
Well done Two Mills Honda Ellesmere Port
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2012, 13:45

Not so helpful

Hi - great to hear about Honda's good customer service, but have to say I am not experiencing the same. I have a 54 plate Jazz, and it has started the dreaded gearbox whine. Its just over 7 years old, I've had it for 2. Honda are refusing to help at all. Its has a FSH, but the recent ones not with Honda (too far way). Any advice?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2012, 21:22 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

When you say refusing to help is that just a particular dealer? Have you tried contacting any others or failing that Honda UK? Oh and as per the original post there is a service bulletin number you can quote them to show it's a genuine issue.

Mine didn't have a full service history with Honda (used an Indy for all work post three year warranty) and it made no difference to the claim being valid.

Keep at it and I hope you get it sorted soon. With the money involved in the repair it's worth travelling even if the dealer is a long way away.

Cheers

Nick
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 4th October 2012, 12:24
clv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthtoe View Post
Hi - great to hear about Honda's good customer service, but have to say I am not experiencing the same. I have a 54 plate Jazz, and it has started the dreaded gearbox whine. Its just over 7 years old, I've had it for 2. Honda are refusing to help at all. Its has a FSH, but the recent ones not with Honda (too far way). Any advice?
Same problem here and would appreciate any advice. Honda Jazz new at registration Sept 1st 2005. Gearbox bearing picked up as faulty end of August this year, initially looked at part exchanging that decided to keep it and discovered through Google the 7yr/100000 mile extended warranty, had to take it to Honda Newbury to confirm the issue, Honda warranty have said no, Honda UK will pay for the part (140ish) but I have to pay for the labour (800). I phoned Honda UK myself yesterday as I feel Honda should have made owners aware of this issue but they won't budge and in fact were really quite rude telling me that as not all of my services have been with Honda they don't consider me to be a good customer and will not extend any further goodwill. (Although if I had known about this warranty 5 weeks ago they would still have covered it as I have full service history and proof of that just not all with Honda). I'm fuming and fed up.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2012, 13:02

Car: 2009 SE, Polished Metal
Noticed a slight whining noise in 1st gear on my wife's Jazz over the weekend

But thanks to this thread, phoned our local dealer yesterday who seemed sceptical something would be covered for 7 years, but it went in for investigation this morning and its been authorised to be repaired in a couple of weeks

Ours is a 2006 Jazz so about six and a half years old - previous owner serviced it at Honda, but we've serviced it at our local indy for the last 2 years.

One of our neighbours has a 2008 Jazz so will be handing him a printout of this thread just in case.

Si
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st November 2012, 21:37

I'm also having this problem I haven't got a full service history though. Has anyone else had any luck without FSH? Mines an 05 jazz sport 1.4. Wish I was aware of this when I purchased the car!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th November 2012, 20:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Mine wasn't a full service history with Honda if that helps, used an indy from three years onwards. But the car was serviced annually as per the schedule...

So they shouldn't insist on Honda dealer only but would have thought an incomplete history might be an issue... Still worth a try though. If you don't ask......

Good luck

Nick
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th December 2012, 08:48

Jzz gear box warranty struggle

Hi I have a Honda Jazz Sept 2005, and it has just started making gear box bearing noises, my local Honda say I am not covered as I have just missed the extended warranty of 7 years (or 100K) by 3 months, however my mileage is only 54,000 but they are still not willing to cover the cost of repair (500-800). I did speak to Honda UK first who said I needed a Honda dealer to confirm the diagnosis by local garage had made, I asked if they did agree with the diagnosis would I be covered and she said yes. Local dealer says the person I spoke to was incorrect and should not have even handled the call that she should have put me through to Customer Service (did ask for them at start of the call). Honda UK are going to listen to the recording of my call and get back to the dealer, however dealer does not hold out much hope. Any advice as due to my extremely low mileage I do feel it should be covered by Honda.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 4th April 2014, 13:51
ex CW FN2 owner

Car: Honda Jazz 1.4S
We bought a 05 Jazz off a Honda Dealer in 2013 and it had the gearbox noise I had no idea at the time that it wasnt meant to sound like that I just thought thats how the Jazz sounds as its only a 1.4.

I then started to read up and then the dealer diagnosed the issue in 1st and 2nd gears, after we had sent it in have some diagnostics done. I was a bit annoyed as we had only had the car 4 months and the dealer didn't seem to care and it wasn't covered under their warranty as it had not completely failed.

Anyway I called Honda UK and they did say they would cover the parts costs, So I thought great as the dealer had already told us they could do it for 500. So I called the dealer back and they said it would cost us 850!! I couldn't believe it in the end I had it done for 500 and the car feels much better gearbox is very tight like it was in my type r. But all I learned from this was our local dealer had truly deserved the name stealer, I would never trust them again and I will never buy or have a car serviced there.

On the plus side at least Honda Uk values its customers as the car was out of warranty.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page