Frozen Jazz... - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th January 2011, 18:30 Thread Starter
 
Kennylau's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17th May 2008
Location: Notts GB
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Frozen Jazz...

Hi guys,

I got a problem, we have just bought a new Jazz for my girlfriend and on cold mornings (most of them) we find the whole of the windscreen frozen ON THE INSIDE and once I got in the Jazz after a cold morning I found pools of water in the handle section (probably from the car defrosting inside). I could understand if we bought an old second hand car with bad seals, but this car is just over 1 month old.

My girlfriend took it back to Honda today and they said nothings wrong, and came up with some strange excuses.

They believe that because the car has such good seals that any moisture we bring into the car (wet clothes, hair, our breath....yes they said that) it stays in the car and therefore freezes overnight.

Has anyone experienced this before, on either their Jazz or any other car? If so any way to stop it happening as it takes her 20mins in the morning before she can set off to work.

Thanks
Kennylau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th January 2011, 18:39
 
higham's Avatar
 
Car: 57 CTR GT, NHB
Join Date: 2nd August 2009
Location: manchester uk GB
Posts: 3,543
Thanks: 142
Thanked 318 Times in 303 Posts
iTrader: (0)
remember reading something on this, drive with the heat and ac on as the ac drys the air out!
higham is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th January 2011, 22:22
Cockup Specialist
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 2.2 Type 'S' GT, Bronze
Join Date: 31st August 2009
Location: uk ENGLAND
Posts: 12,885
Thanks: 791
Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,437 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Yes if you have climate control or something similar then leave it on permanent or you'll get condensation build up in the car...



Relic is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th January 2011, 15:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Kennylau's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17th May 2008
Location: Notts GB
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Thanks guys for the quick response... not too happy with buying a brand spanking new car and having to defrost the inside within a month of buying it. Can't win them all I guess.

Will try and run the air con for a while to dry out the moisture.
Kennylau is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th January 2011, 15:43
Cockup Specialist
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 2.2 Type 'S' GT, Bronze
Join Date: 31st August 2009
Location: uk ENGLAND
Posts: 12,885
Thanks: 791
Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,437 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Its the way Honda work.
On the civic climate control hardly draws any power as its on a part time duty cycle.
And we do get condensation if you leave it off.
The AC also gets bacteria buildup and stinks if you leave it off.

Their is also a chance you have a seal gone somewhere... door sunroof window windscreen or something.
Couldnt figure out why the hire car I had was damp until I noticed the sunroofs werent closed properly by the previous driver.




Last edited by Relic; 29th January 2011 at 15:45.
Relic is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th January 2011, 16:32
Supporter
 
Jack The Lad.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 28th August 2007
Location: ENGLAND ENGLAND
Posts: 4,441
Thanks: 21
Thanked 274 Times in 266 Posts
iTrader: (0)
As said - Nothing wrong with the car.
In very cold conditions - A/C on, is the way to go.
Jack The Lad. is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 27th February 2011, 12:59
 
Gaffer's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 Jazz 1.34 iVTEC
Join Date: 19th March 2010
Location: Gatwick, UK GB
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylau View Post
They believe that because the car has such good seals that any moisture we bring into the car (wet clothes, hair, our breath....yes they said that) it stays in the car and therefore freezes overnight.
Exact same thing happens to me - usually on cold mornings. Once or twice I have had a sheet of ice on the inside .
That explanation you were give is the same one I've had from a variety of sources. Basically, newer cars have much better sealing so air doesn't circulate in or out. Hence, when condensation builds up (which it will in any car) it will stay in the car rather than "leak" away. Couple this to a cold (e.g. -5) night and that condensation on the windscreen cools down into ice.

Also, if a seal has deteriorated, then this is LESS likely to happen because the deteriorated seal allows condensation to escape - it's the fact that modern cars are sealed so well that is why this happens.
Gaffer is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 27th February 2011, 13:04
Supporter
 
RAY WADSWORTH's Avatar
 
Car: 2009 1.8SE ALABASTER SILVER
Join Date: 1st September 2009
Location: ROTHERHAM UK ENGLAND
Posts: 222
Thanks: 135
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Air-con on all the time, should keep screen clear.
RAY WADSWORTH is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 1st March 2011, 14:11
Supporter
 
afroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4th November 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK GB
Posts: 191
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
Exact same thing happens to me - usually on cold mornings. Once or twice I have had a sheet of ice on the inside .
That explanation you were give is the same one I've had from a variety of sources. Basically, newer cars have much better sealing so air doesn't circulate in or out. Hence, when condensation builds up (which it will in any car) it will stay in the car rather than "leak" away. Couple this to a cold (e.g. -5) night and that condensation on the windscreen cools down into ice.

Also, if a seal has deteriorated, then this is LESS likely to happen because the deteriorated seal allows condensation to escape - it's the fact that modern cars are sealed so well that is why this happens.

Does that mean if i was to buy a new car, whether it be a jazz civic or other and i went on a long enough drive that i would eventually die from lack of oxygen if i left the windows up

..... gotta say does sound like your getting mugged off a bit, easy to tell tho, take one of the door seals off.... poke some holes in one (they only cost a few quid to replace) should it freeze again , then you know there s another problem

..... i personally cant see how someone can breath that much in the car that there is enough condensation to freeze over the wind screen.... unless your up to something else in the Jazz you dirty do

........... when the H Jazz is rocking.... dont come a knocking
afroboy is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 1st March 2011, 18:19
 
ivtecdoyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: 1st December 2010
Location: Glasgow SCOTLAND
Posts: 238
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylau View Post
Hi guys,

I got a problem, we have just bought a new Jazz for my girlfriend and on cold mornings (most of them) we find the whole of the windscreen frozen ON THE INSIDE and once I got in the Jazz after a cold morning I found pools of water in the handle section (probably from the car defrosting inside). I could understand if we bought an old second hand car with bad seals, but this car is just over 1 month old.

My girlfriend took it back to Honda today and they said nothings wrong, and came up with some strange excuses.

They believe that because the car has such good seals that any moisture we bring into the car (wet clothes, hair, our breath....yes they said that) it stays in the car and therefore freezes overnight.

Has anyone experienced this before, on either their Jazz or any other car? If so any way to stop it happening as it takes her 20mins in the morning before she can set off to work.

Thanks

Try cleaning the windows and leaving the heating on for around 30 mins at full power and at hot.

I dont have air con in my type r, and any car ive had in the past ive very rarely used it.

Maybe something like rain x anti fog could solve your problem.

You might find the car mats are wet and produce condensation on the windows when they begin to dry out.
ivtecdoyou is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 1st March 2011, 23:10
 
Gaffer's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 Jazz 1.34 iVTEC
Join Date: 19th March 2010
Location: Gatwick, UK GB
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroboy View Post
Does that mean if i was to buy a new car, whether it be a jazz civic or other and i went on a long enough drive that i would eventually die from lack of oxygen if i left the windows up

..... gotta say does sound like your getting mugged off a bit, easy to tell tho, take one of the door seals off.... poke some holes in one (they only cost a few quid to replace) should it freeze again , then you know there s another problem

..... i personally cant see how someone can breath that much in the car that there is enough condensation to freeze over the wind screen.... unless your up to something else in the Jazz you dirty do

........... when the H Jazz is rocking.... dont come a knocking
Lol
Gaffer is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th March 2011, 10:11
Kids use a lot of space
 
MC Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th June 2006
Location: UK SCOTLAND
Posts: 806
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader: (0)
If it's new it may just be dampness condensing on the glass.
Just in case check the boot well (where the spare wheel lives if fitted or under the false floor) if it's wet you've found the problem. Also check the rear and front floor just in case. If everything is dry, it should dryout and be fine (any puddles and you've got a leak!). Not common, but possible given the cold and wet weather recently.
MC Hammer is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th April 2011, 13:02
 
JC 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15th March 2008
Location: United Kingdom GB
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Hello,

We had the same problem with the jazz when it was new. Explained to the dealer what was happening and they found that the small rubber outlet "dump valve" on the underside of the HVAC unit under the car was incorrectly fitted (bent upwards), and this prevented the moisture that the aircon removed from the car, exiting the car. This moisture stayed within the system and caused excessive condensation which then froze over.
JC 29 is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > Other Hondas > Honda Jazz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R-Black Frozen nhb ctr bigcivictyper Gallery (8G) 5 9th February 2009 19:06
R-Red Frozen CTR lxf2442 Gallery (8G) 19 7th February 2009 18:21
Frozen Cows Nitehawk Any non Civic chat here please! 1 2nd February 2009 18:06
Bigger, better Jazz ready to call the tune - Honda Jazz Honda News Feed Honda Jazz 3 5th September 2007 12:08
Next Jazz taking shape - Honda Jazz Honda News Feed Honda Jazz 11 1st May 2007 22:48

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome