Car: 2009 2.2 5door
Join Date: 16th March 2013
Location: Mayo, Ireland
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just a little update. I've done the fix last week, and everything seems to be working fine since.
Before fix, my A/C was working good only after starting the engine from cold, and worked for about half an hour to 1 hour maximum (on hot days even shorter).
So I followed Dr Woods howto, and successfully fixed my A/C.
Just few things to mention.
1. Gap between plate and compressor pulley wasn't even. In some places it was greater than in others. It generally varied between 0.9mm to 1.3mm.
2. I found it nearly impossible to unscrew plate retaining nut using a spanner. Nut was kinda too deep for spanner to catch properly. Socket seemed to be the only option, but washer fluid bottle was in the way. However this wasn't big problem. Loosing two screws on washer bottle took me only 5 minutes, and allowed me to move washer bottle by maybe an inch towards the right, making space to fit the spanner on plate retaining nut.
3. Original shim was 10mm (inside diameter) 14mm (outside diameter) and 0.7mm thick. As I said in my post earlier, I wasn't able to get shim in that diameter. I had 10mm (inside) 16mm (outside) and this fit no problem. However I had to reduce gap by good bit, so I only put one shim of 0.1mm thickness. This reduced gap between clutch plate and pulley to range of between 0.3 and 0.7mm.
I assembled everything back on, and started the engine. A/C worked fine, but this didn't mean anything as it always was when engine cold. Clutch kept engaging and disengaging every 10 - 15 seconds like those honda normally do.
However I asked a helper to sit down in the car, and rev engine to about 2000 -3000rpm.
I kept looking at pulley and clutch, and it didn't seem to work allright. Once it engaged, clutch plate was rotating much slower than the pulley, and it was making squeaking noise. However I took the car for 10km drive, and this effect disappeared. I assume reason for that was that plate was mostly rusty because it didn't have proper contact with pulley surface for a good while, and this rust was causing causing the thing to slip. Once rust wore off, it started working normally.
It's been over a week now. Car has done over 1000 miles and A/C works perfectly. I've been on 400 mile drive once, and A/C worked at all times.
So I consider it fixed, however I'll keep observing it.
Thanks Dr Wood. It was very helpful howto.