Recently my washer jets have been really poor and not even hitting the windscreen wipers, making cleaning the windscreen a nightmare. Anyway, after doing a bit of fault finding [Splitting the pipe where it goes up to the bonnet and testing output from the pump], I found there was very little flow out of the pump.
I'd read there was a filter in there somewhere, but couldn't find where. So, being me, ordered a new pump and jumped in.
Hope this helps people with this issue in future.
So, What will I need?
19mm Socket & Breaker bar [To remove wheel]
Trolley jack & Axle stands [To jack the car]
Flat head [terminal] screwdriver [clips]
Phillips screwdriver [Only if removing the bumper]
Needle nose pliers [clips]
10mm socket [Only if removing the tank]
And a pump, I got mine from EuroCarParts, here
Aftermarket Honda for additional information, click on part detail | Euro Car Parts UKâ€™s No.1 Car Parts Retailer
If you're just replacing the pump/cleaning the filter, there's no need to take off the bumper. However, If you're taking the tank off (Like I did), you'll need to remove the front bumper - There are other how-to's on this, so won't be covering it.
First, Remove the front RHS wheel & Jack up [I won't go into how, there are loads of other threads about it on the internet].
Once you've done that, you should be greeted by this. Remove the highlighted clips (There are some more on the inside of the wheel arch, just remove as many that look like they are holding the arch in place. (Sorry if the circles aren't too visible).
When you've taken off [Or enough to access the tank/pump], you should be able to see the pump.
The pump should lift out. Don't pull, lift directly out. There should be enough slack from pipe & electrical cable to allow you to do this. Alternatively, you could disconnect the pipe & cable before, I just found it easier this way.
Note, when you do this, your fluid will start to come out of the hole you've just taken the pump from, so make sure you've got a bucket handy to catch the water.
Directly below the pump, there's a rubber bund. Pull this out, this is the filter from the main tank to stop the slime etc from going into the pump. This is what mine looked like [This is what was causing my issue, as suspected. I thought whilst I was there I'd replace the pump too].
Can you guess why it was causing an issue?
Stupidly, I didn't take a picture when it was clean, but rest assured, it's not black! It's white and full of holes, not slime! Pro-tip - I used an old toothbrush (Didn't have a wire brush handy) and water to clean. Didn't take long to do.
When it's clean, push it all back together and job's a good'un. Literally reverse the first steps. It's a simple enough task, but when you're going in blind it can be a bit of a pain.
Removing the tank
Firstly, unclip the hoses and cables from the tank
Then, there are three bolts holding it in place [10mm socket required]
To remove pump, pull down so it releases from the fill pipe
And it's as simple as that!
To put it back together, simply reverse the order.
When putting the tank back on, I'd check where the cables are as I got it back on, but had trapped a wiring loom behind it, so had to take it back off again.
Hope this helps someone