Retrofit heated seats guide - Civinfo
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By dylano
  • 4 Post By dylano

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th June 2016, 10:34 Thread Starter

Retrofit heated seats guide

Hi all, bit of a lurker on forums, so thought I would upload a guide for once as there doesn’t seem to be any info out there. I bought a leather interior with heated seats for cheap so set about retrofitting the electrics. I also got the seller to send me the switches with the plugs attached with about 10 cm of wire.
1) Cut off original connectors which are for heated seats and add any new male connector. I used these waterproof ones off ebay and soldered them on. Remember what order the wires are in. You need to connect to the positive, negative, sender for high heat and sender for low heat.
2) Disconnect battery as you will be messing with the SRS connection which will leave an error light if not.
3) Take out old seats and centre console cover. Screw on switches for seats.
4) Get the corresponding female connector and solder on 4 wires with the power and ground able to carry 20A. Tape it next to the SRS connector and then route it under the carpet and back up into the centre console.
5) Use piggyback fuse blocks to take a feed from 28 or 29 for the one that says number 5 on the diagram. Number 5 is for heated seats in the fuse box, so as these were not installed from the factory it isn’t present. 28 and 29 are for the cig lighters. Piggyback off 36 too (which is present). Route the power wires to the centre console.
6) Wire up as per wiring diagram, noting that the high and low heat are back to front on the diagram. There is only 7 wires to connect, if you don’t bother to connect the wiring for the switches to be illuminated when the lights are turned on. They will still have the power LED when they are the seats are turned on. Ground the earths to any suitable point.
7) Bolt down seat and plug in. Do same on other side. Reinstall centre console.
Hopefully someone will find this useful Car looks good with a leather interior now.
Farqui and migael like this.
Thanks to dylano from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th June 2016, 10:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Have to have a thread count of 5 to post images, will see if I can get to 5 now!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th June 2016, 10:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

WillHall89, Farqui, Farqui and 1 others like this.
Thanks to dylano from:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th June 2016, 12:29
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,128 Times in 3,825 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Well done, a worthy mod right there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10th February 2017, 21:24

very usefull
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 21:36
Supporter

Car: 2012 Civic ES 2.2 i-DTEC
Garage
I bought leather seats for my car but couldn't find the wiring for it anywhere. Today I got very lucky and got my hands on the wiring with plugs for the switches and the seats. I got it all for £5 from a scrapyard. I will be doing the retrofit soon by following your tutorial, thanks and i will get back to you after I have done my car. Also could you possibly send me the picture of the wiring diagram with better quality, thanks.
Thanks to ARazaQ95 from:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th November 2018, 00:40

Great write up. Are there any relays required in the circuit? Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 13:40

Hi ARazaQ95,

How did you find the retrofit considering you had the original wiring loom, seats, switches etc? I’m currently hunting on eBay for Civic’s breaking near me so I can retrofit the leather interior + heated seats.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 26th May 2019, 23:48

Can you post a higher resolution photo? I can't read it based on the quality of the existing photobucket upload. I'm wondering whether it'll be a lot easier using the wiring loom from the donor vehicle.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th June 2019, 10:26
Supporter

Garage
I've just got a leather interior to install but the wiring is way more difficult to get hold of. I don't have the multi plugs to fit the switches at the moment, so if anyone knows of the connector type needed it would be useful. Difficult to read the pin numbers on the diagram so if anyone has a higher res picture would also be useful.

Let us know how you get on willhall and post some pictures/diagrams if you can. I want to get the switches to illuminate and looks like it just needs a supply which comes live once the lights are switched on.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th June 2019, 10:47
Supporter

Garage
So a bit of further studying.....

At the drivers switch, it looks like:
Pin 1 - ignition controlled live
Pin 2 - light controlled live
Pin 3 - switched output for seat on low heat. Cable goes to low heat relay in seat
Pin 4 - ground for illumination of switch (although ground symbol isn't used)
Pin 5 - ground
Pin 6 - switched output for seat on high heat. Cable goes to high heat relay in seat

The above can all be done in relatively small cable.

The seat relays then need large cable to provide the main power for the heating. Can be done in permanent live but would be better through an ignition switched live source.

There is also a ground connection to the heater elements, but not sure if this connection is in the seat base (where the yellow and orange cables connect in the wiring diagram above on the far left). If so, the seat needs a single ground connection.

Any comments on this?

Last edited by Robbie; 15th June 2019 at 10:59.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th June 2019, 12:04
Supporter

Garage
Ok, a bit of further studying

Looks like the seat has 4 cables to it. So these will be main power and ground from the fuse box along with high heat and low heat cables from the switch to turn on/off the appropriate relay in the seat base.

So I need to confirm the pin out of the switches and the seat base. Will get the multi meter out to check but that's not going to happen this weekend.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 19:15
Supporter

Garage
I've finally had the chance to look further at the wiring. I have obtained the wiring from a hybrid so the colours may be slightly different compared with the Civic, but the hybrid wiring colours are as follows

Wiring from switches (can all be small cable)
Dark blue to passenger side high relay in seat
Light green to passenger side low relay in seat
Dark green to drivers side low relay in seat
Yellow to drivers side high relay in seat
Black to earth
Light green to fuse 36
Grey to fuse 14
Light blue to light controller to illuminate the switches

Then of course you need to wire the seats (live and earth) through a 20A fuse for the main power supply to the heating pads. These cables carry the full load of the seat heaters so need to be rated for at least 20A. Could wire direct back to the battery (through a fuse) as the relay will switch the seat off when the ignition is turned off. Relays are all in the seat base.

The wiring diagram above is for a left hand drive car so the driver and passenger labels are the wrong way round for UK.

I just need to fit it all now!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > This is How To ... (Guides Only) (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in