2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

How to Install an Aftermarket Reversing Camera - The easy Way!

208K views 343 replies 153 participants last post by  Murphwiz 
#1 ·
This is a 'How To' to install an aftermarket Reversing Camera if you have a factory fitted Navigation System and save yourself £££££'s over the Honda OEM camera!

Cameras & optics Camera Camera accessory Technology Electronic device
Car Vehicle Technology Automotive exterior Multimedia

Note: Ignore the 'For Sale' link in the PDF as Bog is no longer trading here

View attachment How to Install an Aftermarket Reversing Camera.pdf

Honestly, even though it sounds and looks complicated, it is not difficult and well worth the effort.

Several members have done this and are more than happy!

:photo2:

See less See more
#4 ·
A very comprehensive guide! Well illustrated with photos and diagrams and written in simple English that even I could understand. Really, really useful and the more I read it the more I want to give it a try (the missus would love this as well). Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone.

#5 ·
Bog, Well done with the guide, the camera in my car is really good, dont know how I managed without it.

The cable I bought from you was perfect, I managed to install without taking out the glovebox and I followed your instructions to the letter.

The end result is that I have a rear view camera for £40 inc camera and cable.

Absolute Bargain....

Couldn't of done it without you.

#7 ·
Hi Bog

Many thanks for answering my message about the camera and the aux input.
I will maybe buy one of the leads once I check with the company I'm looking at for the sensors and camera fit.

You're a star.

Reactions: Bog
#9 ·
I'd love to know how you managed to squeeze your hands up from the passenger footwell. There's not even enough room in any of the gaps to get more than two fingers for me up there!

Aside from that, if anyone is not confident in splitting/splicing wires and has a pathological hatred of scotchloks (ie me) then investigate Posi-Locks and Posi-Twists. They are the same principle but are actually secure. Make life very easy!

#10 ·
I admit it is a small space, but I don't have small hands... I takes several attempts the first time and bevelling the edges of the plug helps alot getting it into the socket.

I assume you pulled off the trim panel under the glovebox?

#13 ·
BTW.....

If you have limited or zero soldering skills, don't worry, you can still fit a reversing camera by joining the wires of the camera with a 'choc bloc' connector (this is what I did!)and connect to the reversing light for power with a 'scotch loc' connector.

I say this because a few have been concerned about soldering and others who have company cars, and would want to remove the camera quickly at the end of the lease.

I will up date the 'How to' soon with pics.

#14 ·
Could do with a helping hand from the camera master!!

BTW.....

If you have limited or zero soldering skills, don't worry, you can still fit a reversing camera by joining the wires of the camera with a 'choc bloc' connector (this is what I did!)and connect to the reversing light for power with a 'scotch loc' connector.

I say this because a few have been concerned about soldering and others who have company cars, and would want to remove the camera quickly at the end of the lease.

I will up date the 'How to' soon with pics.
Hi Bog, I'd be really keen to see this as I've never soldered wires before and don't really want to use my reversing light of my CTR as a place to practice..!!

Any news on the how to update with using a scotch loc? I spent a good few hours today getting the first steps done - video wire went into the back of the nav with no issues and works just fine; the camera is screwed on and the wires all fed through the number plate light cover, tucked in and the cover re-fitted...

But I drew a blank after pulling out the reverse light cable... probably ran out of confidence to be honest :facepalm: There just seems very little spare cable to play with on the wire into the reversing light so I guess I'm going to have to pretty accurate and get it right first time.

Any thoughts / tips much appreciated so I can get on with the rest of the install.

Thanks matey, the how to so far has proved invaluable btw.

Nick

#15 ·
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow .... But its really easy :)

I assume you have a scotchloc... You just clip the open side over the brown wire going into the reversing light bulb holder (you will need to peel back some of the grey insulating tape to expose the wire) and insert the 12v power wire from your camera (I assume red, the squeeze the connector closed. Then maybe wrap some insulating tape
around it to make sure it's all secure.

#16 ·
yep I've got a pack on order so hopefully will arrive early next week. That sounds easy enough. Somehow in my head I had visions of having to cut the existing reversing light cable but obviously not...bonus!

thanks again

Nick

#20 ·
camera video in cable

hi there i am interested in one of your cables for a 06 plate civic how do i go about ordering one and paying for it. i probably sent you an email aswell so i'll apologise now as i am new to this sort of forum and couldn't work out how to reply (i must have been blind) cheers Bazzer1

#22 ·
hi there i am interested in one of your cables for a 06 plate civic how do i go about ordering one and paying for it. i probably sent you an email aswell so i'll apologise now as i am new to this sort of forum and couldn't work out how to reply (i must have been blind) cheers Bazzer1
Hi Bazzer1,

No problem,

I've sent you a PM, but please say on this thread that you want a cable on this thread: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/51028-video-cables-reversing-camera-etc.html ..... This will ensure we comply with the forum rules :)

#21 ·
I must say that Bog's How To is Very good and so are the blocks.
But - you can still buy solder on a roll, for anyone who has never done any soldering before.It's about 4mm wide and just needs wrapping around the wire joint.
You just light a match under the wrapped join for a few seconds and it's done and dusted.

#23 ·
Finally got round to fittin rear view camera today.. Bog how to and cable ~ fantastic, thanks..

One question if anyone can answer.. The bottom of the screen flickers when camera is on. Is there any way of adjusting this???

#28 ·
Bog the camera has a small control box wired between the yellow RCA and camera. The yellow RCA has a black cable, and i have 1 red and 1 black wire also coming out of control box. I connected the red to reverse light and left black unconnected. On the yello RCA side i have the plug itself and also 1 red wire. I used a RCA adapter to connect your RCA cable to the camera yellow RCA as both were male connections. I left the red wire disconnected as not sure what its for.

:confused:

#29 ·
Hmmm if im honest, I dont know... I don't have interference and not heard of anyone else with similar issues.... Most probs seem to be the image lacks detail and this can be resolved with antenuation.

Are your video cables close or touching any of the cars loom?

#33 ·
what do i do now bog?

this RCA cable it says to cut so i could fit it through the rubber thing on the boot lid.

it has copper wire and insulated copper wire? is it ok to solder these two altogether or seperately? help lol

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.