How to clean / remove FK3 2.2 diesel EGR valve - Page 41 - Civinfo
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #801 of 836 (permalink) Old 28th October 2017, 15:52
Supporter

Officially given up on this. Tried everything (WD40 / Shock & unlock etc) but the bolts won't budge - 6 of them (except for the dipstick one). Local dealer says they don't do cleaning only replacements and local garages are pretty expensive (90-180). Good luck to everyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #802 of 836 (permalink) Old 29th October 2017, 19:04 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2010 Urbanium TypeS GT-T
Garage
All 6? Strange. If the bolt heads are undamaged then a garage will remove them for sure. Or, if youre passing this way I can help but up to my ears at the mo so cant do full clean for you.
post #803 of 836 (permalink) Old 17th November 2017, 08:49
Supporter

Car: 2019 Sport Line 1.0
Garage
I bought the kit to clean the EGR valve in January, not long after I bought my 08 2.2 but never got round to doing it.

Just recently the car has started hesitating slightly on part throttle in higher gears and then last Friday under hard acceleration (whilst overtaking a car going up a long hill!) the engine management light came on and the car went into limp mode. This prompted me to do the EGR valve clean last Sunday. Like many others mine was 70-80% blocked. Stripped, cleaned out and back on within an hour.

Test run proved this has stopped the hesitant running on part throttle and the car was no longer in limp mode. The engine management light stayed on during my journeys on Monday and Tuesday morning and then went out whilst driving home Tuesday night. Car is running nicely

Thanks to the original author of this thread, very useful indeed.
scaramanga likes this.

post #804 of 836 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2017, 08:52

I'm trying this today. My car has been a bit hesitant especially in low revs in first/second/third gear for a long time but I had adapted my style. Lately though it has been behaving very oddly. It will refuse to go over 1.5k revs when I try to pull away, which is of course very embarrassing and potentially dangerous since it loves happening at junctions/roundabouts.

The first time it happened it scared me witless as I was joining the M25 on a busy roundabout - I limped down the ramp and into the hard shoulder and screwed around shutting off / starting the engine, revving, slamming the pedals, twitching the pedals gently, everything really until it kinda just started working again - then I drove to work at about 50 in the inside lane the whole way trying desperately not to stop anywhere. It didn't happen again for about 3 weeks so I thought it must have been an isolated incident. Then it happened again, and again... and again......

Now I'm kinda used to it, some days it happens more than once, and I have a fix to cope with it. if I push the clutch in or go into neutral and slam the accelerator to the floor, the revs slowly climb up to abote 2.5/3k (takes around 2/3 seconds but seems like an eternity) and then suddenly they zoom up normally and everything is fine again. It feels like I'm sort of forcing something through somewhere, or forcing something to open. Now I always blip the accelerator before any moving away to check if it's actually going to work. My fuel economy has tanked and of course I am aware I need to address the problem!

I'm hoping this EGR clean is going to help. It seems from other posts and other threads like it might be the root cause of my problem.

Thanks to immelman for the great instructions and pictures. I made them into a printable PDF so I can take them out into the freezing cold with me. I'm not allowed to share the link yet but I will when I have a few more posts.
post #805 of 836 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 23:21

Car: 2010 2.2 abalaster silver
Garage
Just stripped and cleaned mine. It wasn't as clogged as I imagined but still removed quite a bit of gunge. A great write up. Many thanks..
post #806 of 836 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 23:35 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2010 Urbanium TypeS GT-T
Garage
post #807 of 836 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 23:05
csd

I'm looking at doing this soon but while I have some parts off I'd like to remove the rust from them and coat them in something to prevent rust in future.
Any recommendations on what to use here?
Thanks!
post #808 of 836 (permalink) Old 11th February 2018, 14:28

Garage
Immelman...you're the MAN!!!
Just did mine yesterday (photos at the end) as the car was suffering from the same hesitation around 1500rpm. This is now resolved with a much smoother acceleration at low revs and then the turbo kicks in for real.
Out of curiosity at what rev do you get/feel a proper turbo boost? I am coming from a focus 1.6tdci where it seemed to be much earlier but obviously just not as hard a boost.
Either way the valve was clogged up. The car has 130k (just got it a month ago) and i am not sure whether it was done before. The how to was great. It takes 30mins to take the unit off (i had no bolt/nut removal issue at all) and put it back on but, i went OCD on the cleaning and was at it for almost an hour. The hardest bit is the inlet manifold itself as one needs to be careful not to dislodge (and lose) anything big in there.

Now waiting for another nice sunny day do to the service (4 usual filters). I've read the horror stories about the diesel filter but, hopefully it'll be alright.

Happy days ^_^

Tried to attached a bunch of pictures but, not enough posts yet maybe later...
Farqui likes this.

Last edited by doomageta; 11th February 2018 at 18:13.
post #809 of 836 (permalink) Old 11th February 2018, 22:21
Supporter

Car: NHB Civic ES 2.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomageta View Post
Out of curiosity at what rev do you get/feel a proper turbo boost?
In mine it feels like it really starts to pick up from just under 2.5k RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomageta View Post
I've read the horror stories about the diesel filter but, hopefully it'll be alright.
I tried replacing the filter myself. When I finally managed to get everything out and looked at where it was I thought bugger this and got a garage to do it for me.

They mentioned that it took them ages to get the car primed with diesel and it was one hell of a job!
post #810 of 836 (permalink) Old 14th March 2018, 17:56

Just done it and went for a drive, brilliant!
post #811 of 836 (permalink) Old 19th March 2018, 07:02

Garage
I am going to do mine on Wednesday, fingers crossed for getting a bit warmer outside as I'm not looking forward to get my frozen knuckles smashed - it hurts even more 😊 I got my gasket kit form hendy Honda in Southampton, price the same as Cox + delivery however it was ready for collection very next day. Will post the pictures and hopefully performance improvement report
post #812 of 836 (permalink) Old 21st March 2018, 18:01

Garage
I have done mine today, was pretty bad but no difficulties undoing the bolts whatsoever. Mileage 122k. I did only short trip afterwards in the town and couldn't see much difference in performance yet.

I can't see the option to post the pictures.
post #813 of 836 (permalink) Old 25th March 2018, 14:28
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 i-CTDi SE 5d Hatchb
Gave it a good clean, thanks for the great guide. So much gunk in there.
Farqui likes this.
post #814 of 836 (permalink) Old 26th March 2018, 20:52

Nice clean for today

At 120k I knew it would need doing and it certainly did.

Those first two bolts were a b-tard to get enough leverage on but they finally gave.

Didn't go mad on cleaning the inlet as it wasn't too bad inside.

Thanks for the great guide, gave me enough confidence to have a go.

Tim
Farqui likes this.
Thanks to glidester from:
post #815 of 836 (permalink) Old 8th April 2018, 10:44

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbooo View Post
I'm trying this today. My car has been a bit hesitant especially in low revs in first/second/third gear for a long time but I had adapted my style. Lately though it has been behaving very oddly. It will refuse to go over 1.5k revs when I try to pull away, which is of course very embarrassing and potentially dangerous since it loves happening at junctions/roundabouts.

The first time it happened it scared me witless as I was joining the M25 on a busy roundabout - I limped down the ramp and into the hard shoulder and screwed around shutting off / starting the engine, revving, slamming the pedals, twitching the pedals gently, everything really until it kinda just started working again - then I drove to work at about 50 in the inside lane the whole way trying desperately not to stop anywhere. It didn't happen again for about 3 weeks so I thought it must have been an isolated incident. Then it happened again, and again... and again......

Now I'm kinda used to it, some days it happens more than once, and I have a fix to cope with it. if I push the clutch in or go into neutral and slam the accelerator to the floor, the revs slowly climb up to abote 2.5/3k (takes around 2/3 seconds but seems like an eternity) and then suddenly they zoom up normally and everything is fine again. It feels like I'm sort of forcing something through somewhere, or forcing something to open. Now I always blip the accelerator before any moving away to check if it's actually going to work. My fuel economy has tanked and of course I am aware I need to address the problem!

I'm hoping this EGR clean is going to help. It seems from other posts and other threads like it might be the root cause of my problem.

Thanks to immelman for the great instructions and pictures. I made them into a printable PDF so I can take them out into the freezing cold with me. I'm not allowed to share the link yet but I will when I have a few more posts.
I keep forgetting to come back and say this -- this procedure completely solved my problems.
No more hesitation, no more weird pseudo limp mode.

It was very very full of crap. I used a lot of carb cleaner from Toolstation it was cheap; I think petrol would be just as good (in fact I suspect it basically is petrol).

I almost rounded one nut off trying to get the thing out but managed in the end. Just coat the buggers in your favourite oil / grease / wd40 / gt85 / durex strawberry flavour whatever you can find. Eventually it'll come off. I left mine soaking in wd40, several applications, plus ran the engine for 10 minutes, and finally the last one gave way. I used an extension bar and sneaked in through the front so I could lean on it to get a bit more purchase. I bought the replacement 'seals' but really I don't think I needed to.

So thanks OP for a great guide! Pictures were super helpful!
Farqui and Kristian Dimitrov like this.
post #816 of 836 (permalink) Old 9th April 2018, 19:01
Supporter

Cleaned mine with Petrol and a metal brush a few months ago. I've noticed smoother driving in lower gears in particular. Thanks for the guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_123359.jpg (80.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_123403.jpg (100.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_131241.jpg (134.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_131247.jpg (82.9 KB, 32 views)
Farqui, sasa2k0 and DZH like this.
post #817 of 836 (permalink) Old 10th April 2018, 13:12

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door, Blue-ish
Will be undertaking this at the weekend, but I need to buy some heftier wrenches to do this as I only just started building my toolbox. Is it entirely necessary to use a 3/4 instead of a 1/2 drive? Could anyone provide some insight on the tools they used to get the EGR off?
post #818 of 836 (permalink) Old 10th April 2018, 14:19
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
Will be undertaking this at the weekend, but I need to buy some heftier wrenches to do this as I only just started building my toolbox. Is it entirely necessary to use a 3/4 instead of a 1/2 drive? Could anyone provide some insight on the tools they used to get the EGR off?
I don't see why not to use a 1/2 instead of 3/4. Can't remember what I used as it was a few year ago. Be prepared for some scraped knuckles though and be careful when you remove it that you don't push any of that crap into the cylinder head.
post #819 of 836 (permalink) Old 14th April 2018, 20:11

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door, Blue-ish
I cleaned mine out today, and oh nelly... It must have been almost 80% blocked! 180k and I doubt it had been done before. This was one of my first jobs on a car beyond doing an oil change, and I must say it was fantastic for getting into things - very easy to do, and a good confidence boost for a newbie like me.

To add something back to the forums, I've also filmed the whole process! It is even easier than it sounds on paper, so this should make it even easier for anyone considering doing this. I'll cut a video together this week covering the tools needed, EGR removal, the cleaning process (including the inlet manifold) and re-attachment.

Farqui, sasa2k0, Ranger and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Chump; 14th April 2018 at 20:13.
post #820 of 836 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 12:21
Supporter

@Jammy dodger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > This is How To ... (Guides Only) (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-guides-only-8g/72471-how-clean-remove-fk3-2-2-diesel-egr-valve.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forums CivicYume • Consulter le sujet - Nettoyage EGR 2.2 I-cdti (Lien anglais ) This thread Refback 25th April 2014 15:12
??????? ?? ??? ?????? ? ?????????? - CIVIC - since 1972 - Hondabg.com ?????? This thread Refback 28th March 2014 15:39
Diesel 2.2 zawor egr - Strona 2 This thread Refback 23rd March 2014 14:26
Diesel 2.2 zawor egr This thread Refback 21st March 2014 12:02
What have you done to your car today? - Page 168 - Overclockers UK Forums This thread Refback 7th March 2014 20:57
What have you done to your car today? - Page 167 - Overclockers UK Forums This thread Refback 5th March 2014 18:18
Oil change and Oil Filter cost?? - Page 3 - Overclockers UK Forums This thread Refback 1st December 2013 16:53
??????? ?? ??? ?????? ? ?????????? - Hondabg.com ?????? This thread Refback 27th July 2013 06:45
Sterownik nastawnika kolektora dolotowego - check system - Strona 2 This thread Refback 22nd July 2013 21:08
8th Gen Honda Civic EGR clean. - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement This thread Refback 20th July 2013 20:12