2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Honda civic 2.2 diesel gearbox oil change

73K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  SykomantiS 
#1 ·
Hi all
I started a thread the other day asking advice on how to change the gearbox oil on my 2.2 type s. After recieving some fanstastic advice I have managed to do it along with all the other filters(including fuel filter!). Thought id take a few pics and give a quick explanation on the process i used to carry out this task. Probably not the best way or quickest way of doing it but it worked for me so heres a quick run down

1. Drove the car for approx 10 minutes to warm up the oil to allow to drain easier

2. Now I put the car on a ramp in a workshop to access the underside which makes it alot easier but Im sure you can all work out how to get to the underside if you dont have a ramp. I then removed the plastic guard underneath the engine (remove approx 13/14 plastic clips and 6 bolts) See picture 1 for the part i removed. Probably could have removed the smaller metal sump guard but as I was changing the engine oil and doing a full inspection I decided to take off the larger section. Besides it only took approx 5 minutes anyway

3. Now I had access to the gearbox and in particular the drain plug and fill level plug. See picture 2.....A indicates the fill level plug and B indicates the drain plug. Remove the drain plug B and allow the oil to drain into a suitable container (approx 2.2 litres) The oil that drained from mine looked brand new to be honest and if I knew, probably wouldnt have changed the oil but as it was apparently due and already now drained it was too late.

4. Now refit the drain plug B (ideally with a new washer approx 40p from honda) and then undo fill indicator plug A (no oil should come out as its all drained)

5. Next step is to lower the car enough to access the battery and remove the battery, plastic battery guard which the battery sits in and the plate which the battery and guard sit on (4 bolts) See picture 3

6. Once those parts are removed you should have access to the top of the gearbox and in particular the fill plug (see picture 4). Remove this using a 3/8" drive(mine was particurlarly tricky but with an extra weetabix managed to undo it:eek:)

7. Now using the oil you have decided to purchase (i used the honda recommended MTF-3.. see pic 5) start refilling the gearbox through the fill point. When you have approx 2 litres of oil in you will have nearly refilled to the correct amount of oil. You should now start monitoring for oil coming from the fill level plug A which we took the plug from earlier (step 4) Once the oil starts coming through that indicator hole refit the plug and tighten (use a new washer if you wish). My car took pretty much spot on 2.2 litres of oil so had to crack open the 3rd litre bottle which I purchased.

8. Up to you what order you choose to put things back together but I made sure both plugs (A and B) on the underside were both tight and no leaks were apparent and then refitted the sump guard trim which was removed at step 2.

9 Then lower the car to the floor and refit the fill plug on top of the gearbox (again using a new washer...approx 40p from Honda like the others). You're now ready to refit the metal battery plate, plastic battery guard and then the battery which we removed at step 5.

And thats it. A really simple job actually once you know where the drain and fill points are. Certainly no harder than an engine oil change really

Please feel free to let me know of any errors I have made and I will be most grateful (although it may be a bit late :D)

Anyway hope this helps some people who wanted a few pics to clarify the drain/level/fill plug locations

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Can anyone confirm that this is the same process on the FN2? Got some MTF3 and was going to get the garage to do it but it seems no harder than an oil change that I do on ramps on my drive

#8 ·
Only thing I would add to this is the whole undertray definately needs to come off to do this. Thanks for the how to though it really helped. Just need a good how to to replace my brake fluid now

Reactions: harrysk
#22 ·
Well got it done no problem, got attacked by next door to fit 2 new exhaust mounts to their car too lol. Tip for people, pay attention to the drain/level plug picture, I did not and took the one a bit above the level one out and discovered a spring on it, so whipped it back on pronto, anyone any idea what that is? Just via able in OP's pic. Also found it strange that there's no magnet on the drain plug, very weird IMO.

#24 ·
Yeah changes fine took it out down the bypass to get it in all the gears, stayed in under acceleration and during lift off. My old corsa had one as standard so thought these much newer more advanced cars would of, most older cars I worked on in college had them too, just seems strange as there only meant to be drained every 5 years or something daft, a lot of damage can occur in that time with metal filing flying around.

#26 ·
I changed my gearbox oil on Wednesday. Bought 2 litres of MTF-3, drained all the old stuff out into a clean container, put all the 2 litres in (using my big orange Halfords funnel), then put 0.2L of the old stuff back in after carefully filtering it through a tissue... I bet I'm not the first one to do this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.