Insurance - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:17 Thread Starter

Insurance

After looking at a few cars I decided I wanted a honda civic. Although I'm only 18 so I can only have the 1.4L.

I went to my local Honda garage after seeing 1 for sale there for 9000 but it had been sold. So decided to buy an SE version for 12000.
I pick it up on friday so at the minute its sorting out a good price for my insurance.

For some reason the I-DSI-S version is 1500 cheaper than the version Im getting with my current insurer . I finally managed to find a good quote from Direct line for 2177. (Only due to someone in my household being with them)

But I was wondering if there is anywhere else that is cheap but not to cheap to sort of get ripped off.

Like I said im 18, and was going to wait till May untill I bought the civic so I had 1yrs no claim, but after seeing it for 9K and then the dealers offering me a 12K 1 lol, I had to buy it.

I have tried places like Confused.com and GoCompare.com and the ebst deal I got there was 3000.

The car is a:
Honda Civic 1.4 I-DSI SE 5 dr

So any ideas?

(Also sorry if wrong place, couldn't find anywhere else).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:23

im 19 and have a honda civic type s 1.8 GT.

£1300 is what i pay for insurance full comp and all the bits and bobs.

im with elephant and its the lowest i got.

by the way adding ** mum and dad to insurance and additional drivers will lower the cost of ** insurance.

also if you have got ** 1 years from being a named driver check to see if you can transfer it to another company i got shafted by budget. when me mum paid for the insurance on her old car i was told as a named driver i would earn no claims. but alass this was untrue.

by the way 1 years no claims bonus will chop off £200 max. they look at the length of time u have been driving if ** under the age of 21.

gota love owning a car

shafted for being young
shafted for driving a nice car
shafted on petrol
shafted on insurance
shafted on road tax

but hay the car definetly makes it worth while :d
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:27

Try Moneysupermarket.com
I managed to get fully comp with CSMA, part of Liverpool Victoria, for around 160 (but I am not 18 )

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:29

Hello Lofy and welcome, I know car insurance is very expensive for people under 21, have you tried reducing the times you use the car, I was told by somebody that if you didn't use it say after 9 pm. it could reduce the premium good luck with your search.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selwoc View Post
Try Moneysupermarket.com
I managed to get fully comp with CSMA, part of Liverpool Victoria, for around 160 (but I am not 18 )
What per week
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I guess I could say, I wont use it after 9pm, due to working earliers (start work at 6am) So I wouldnt be out at that time.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 18:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I tried both Elephant and Moneysupermarket.com both gave me £2400, and I added additional drivers. So I guess I will probably have to use direct line.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 19:35
Supporter

Car: 1989 BMW 325i sport
go for Admiral, or Adrian flux they are great for young drivers!

and put your mum on there as a named driver!

my insurance dropped more than £500 just putting my mum on my insurance! its crazy! but it works! my insurance was £760 for my prelude with admiral last year when i was 21 but i did have 4 years noclaims. its currently about £550 with them for my type-s but im due for renewal soon.

oh and often puttin your dad on there will somtimes increase the premium so watch out, try it with just your mum on there first

when i was 18 i had a 2.0 nissan primera(group 12) and was insured through norwich union for just over £1000 fully comp (1 year n/c), could give them a go but ive found thier prices have shot up in the last year or 2

its best to go direct to the companies for quotes as for young drivers those search engines like 'confused.com' are rubbish and come up with stupid quotes!!!!!!!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 19:38
Supporter

Car: 1989 BMW 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyUK View Post
I guess I could say, I wont use it after 9pm, due to working earliers (start work at 6am) So I wouldnt be out at that time.
i wouldnt do that! if you had a crash when driving about after 9 you might not be insured, im sure you go out after 9pm! i know i do!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 19:46

try adrian flux or liverpool victoria
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 19:55
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Would try Tesco as well, I'm with them at; around 1800 quid (I got 190 quid back from my 2.0l BMW 5 series, so a bit but not much), fully comp, no NCB, 1 'knock' and no other bits, I have,. well read my sig' and all of it's declared. I personally would not waste my time with NU, as theyare a bunch of A-holes (just my opinion, but being young they don't like paying out it seems), also don't trust endsleigh, they also quibble pointlessly. Also have you got any further driving quals (ambulance, police, pass plus???? these may help). Also ring them, rather than go on line, just by kissing ass, I got a decent bit off, when I declared the bits, point out safety aspects and lessening damage points ( like bumper bits, I told them about it and whilst chatting informed the lady they were to prevent against trolleys doors etc. and would they consider not charging for them and the cd changer etc. as none were for sportiness or engine mods etc. and she agreed, even said I sounded nice and sensible), so ring em and get puckering those lips.

Tom
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 20:00
Supporter

Just to add, im 20 and it costs around £800 fully comp on a 2.2 SE with Norwich union simple cover
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 21:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I tried tesco and they were £2400, and was the 2nd best quote I had got.
Norwich union, for the S version was very cheap but for some reason for an SE its £3000 :s

So I'll try the others you recommended and tell you how I get on.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 21:51

Car: Countryman. Santa Fe.
Try Swift Cover; cheapest I could find bar none
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 21:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just tried Liverpool Victoria and they will save me £100 a year.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 22:53
Supporter

i use swiftcover, just turned 24, driving for 3 years, 30000 miles a year £1700pa - cheapest by far after two weeks of calling around.... (i hate being young sometimes....)
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2008, 23:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thats why being 18 they wont insure me haha
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2008, 01:03
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
I have to say that I got the best price on my CTR with 0 years no claims as my mother had driven my last car more than I did so the insurance was in her name. I got 1 years fully comp for £517 with Admiral, but then i'm female and 23 and it all depends on where you live too. I also noticed that when I said I was going to keep the car in the garage the premium increased by £30!?!

But my sister who is just 21 got a quote of £534 with 0 no claims on her 2.0l Z4 from elephant. I know it pays to shop around but try and use comparison sites when you can as every request for a quote is noted on your credit files as a search and although other companies are not meant to take these into consideration when providing you with finance, some do.

P.S. There is a topic about insurance where a load of us have stated our model of car, age, NCD (if any), Price and insurance company. Some guys your age (or near enough) in there which should help you out.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2008, 01:19

Well I'm an absolute fiend when it comes to insurance, I ring round everyone I even speak to the same people sometimes because some of them are essentially the same company, just with different names.

I found anything from the Admiral group are the cheapest (for me) - elephant, bell, admiral etc.. But the only answer is to decide 100% on your variables;- where its kept, what type of use, how many miles (I overestimated in my first year and it probably cost me more than it should) and then on a free afternoon pick up the phone book and ring everyone.

The fact of the matter is you are going to get absolutely hammered by the insurance companies because they know they can get away with it. It makes no sense and in my view contributes to the number of uninsured drivers on the road, we need a national driver registration scheme where insurance is monitored, controlled and even subsidised by the state. Also, I'm confused as to why you decided to buy a £12,000 car after seeing one advertised for £9,000 - I thought dealers were supposed to work the other way round. But that is by the by.

Your car is a group 4 insurance car, £2k seems astronomical - even at 18. I'm 21 now and still paying north of £1k on 2.2 with 1yrs ncd.

At the end of the day there are only 3 or 4 major underwriters - who have to decide the risk (which again is BS - You get a higher quote by about 5% being a student living at home than living away- it doesn't make any frikkin' sense!).
While I agree that young, male, drivers are generally causing most accidents, there are safe young male drivers that are being penalised for the idiocy of others (probably uninsured, yet still counted in the statistics)

So, in summary:
- The insurance system is a joke, but a necessary one.
- Don't buy a car until you are 21, with a few years as a named driver (yeah, I forgot to follow that one, too)
- You will be paying alot
- Keep the car garaged (if that's an option), move to a safer area, don't use the car to commute, add you mother or grandmother or great-uncle Ernie who has a phd and is now a priest to the policy
- Don't get any points on your licence or else the next year, you will have to sell one of your kidneys to afford the insurance

Edit: Angie your right about the thing with the Garage, makes no sense. Oh yeah, that brings me to my final point about young lads getting cheaper insurance - have a sex change.

Last edited by sfboy; 23rd January 2008 at 01:23.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2008, 01:30
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
My way in (at 22, many, many moons ago) was free insurance on Citroens as I was quoted 1500 to insure a 5 year old 1.3 Metro!!!

Even now speaking over the phone gives a cheaper quote than 'the 10% cheaper on line'

I have found comparison sites frustrating as the quoted price never matches the price once you 'continue'.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page