Insurance Cover - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th February 2008, 12:35 Thread Starter
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Insurance Cover

Theres been a few posts recently on here regarding Insurance Cover, costs, what to say and what not to say etc so I thought i'd paste this article that i've just found. Most of it is common sense....

UK motorists who simply renew with their existing insurer or take up the first quote they are given are likely to be wasting hundreds of pounds.
Each year the factors that affect your car insurance - your age group, address, type of car and occupation - are likely to change, so you need to shop around each year for the best product for the best price.
Simple rules to save on car insurance
Shop around for quotes before accepting the renewal price offered by your existing insurer. By searching the market you should find a competitive premium and a relevant (not just cheap) policy that covers you for the things that matter to you. Don't just consider the price alone, as quality of the insurance is also very important especially when it comes to making a claim.
Compare quotes for car insurance
Motorists must always compare policies on a like-for-like basis. Read the policy carefully to ensure you have cover for all eventualities.
Consider the excesses and exclusions carefully. A cheaper policy may be hiding a high excess and limited cover. Some insurers no longer include driving other cars as standard, while others do not include a courtesy car when your own isn't working. If you regularly drive abroad check the European cover limit. Some car insurance policies include this cover as standard, but others may charge you an additional fee.
Car insurers often offer better discounts if you choose to buy your car insurance policy online.
Drive carefully, avoid claims and convictions and you will build up your no-claims bonus. In return, insurers will reward you with lower premiums.
Keeping your car secure will help to drive down your car insurance premiums. If you have access to a garage, make the effort to use it rather than parking your car on the roadside. Alarms and immobilisers will act as a deterrent to thieves. Always remove detachable stereos and valuable items from the vehicle.
Pay your premium in full each year if you can afford to. This way you will avoid the high interest rates that many insurers charge for monthly instalments.
Inform your insurer if your annual mileage is low. If you use your car to commute to work, expect more expensive premiums.
Younger drivers should avoid buying expensive high-performance cars. Instead they should invest in a smaller, cheaper car to start with. This way they can build up their no-claims discount and benefit from cheaper premiums later on.
Never twist the truth when getting a quote for your car insurance. Insurers can refuse to settle a claim if the information you have initially provided them with is found to be untrue.
You must remember to keep your insurer up to date of any changes in your driver profile. You are obliged to inform your insurer of any convictions, changes of address or modifications to you vehicle - all of which can affect the premium you pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 28th February 2008, 17:23
Supporter

2.2 Type S GT, with sat nav + bits and bobs.

Business Use+ "Er Indoors".
Fully Comp.
PNCB.
Loan car.
Legal expenses
Personal injury ins' 20k.
New car for old, if over 40% damaged , stolen & not found. Car can be up to 2 years old and still applies.
Spread over 12 equal months, if wanted at no additional fee. :--------------

But you have to be over 50 coz its Saga. £187.

Have been with Norwich Union for years & at every renewal I phone them up ( Its become a bit of a game), telling them - " You are having a laugh". They then beat other quotes that I have had. They can't touch Saga though, as the lowest they can give me is £296.

Last edited by Jack The Lad.; 28th February 2008 at 17:57.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 28th February 2008, 17:43
COTM Feb 2012

Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
22 yr old Male, Type S GT 1.8
Fully Comp Norwich Union - 860, which isnt bad I don't think.

What does everyone else pay?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 28th February 2008, 17:45
Supporter

Im 20 and driving an 07 2.2SE

Insuring soon, likely to be around £850-900.

But i live in a good postcode. Car Insurance Explained - Car Insurance Postcode Groups - Postcode as rated by Car Insurers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 28th February 2008, 18:37
COTM Feb 2012

Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
Can I come to live with you?? im not a bad cook lol

Im from Stoke "D" for me im afraid
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 28th February 2008, 22:18
Supporter

Ear Guys and girls,
Check out your insurance, if you have a panaramic glass roof.
The number of Companies that exclude it is ----------------LOADS.
Now you would think that an Insurance Company would take some interest in what comes as standard in a car ( dont have a choice with a S GT for example), but with many its in the small print --- windscreen only. The B-GGERS.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page