Help with insurance - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 14th June 2014, 15:00 Thread Starter

Help with insurance

I'm currently 10 months in to a policy with Endsleigh with my current car but I'm buying a 1.8 civic tomorrow. I rang up Endsleigh expecting the premium to go up a bit because it's in a higher insurance group, but they told me the underwriters, Zurich, won't insure me on the civic because I need 3 years no claims (I've got 2 years and will have 3 years in 2 months ). The best they could offer me was a new 12 month policy at £1700, but I've had various other quotes for under £700.

As I'll only get refunded £30 for cancelling my current policy with Endsleigh, I'm thinking I might as well let the policy run for the remaining 2 months so I don't lose my 3rd years no claims, and take out a new policy for the civic.

The only issue with this is that I will then always be 2 months away from receiving my no claims discount for that year, unless I always overlap my policies by 2 months.

Does anybody have a better solution or any advice for my best course of action?

EDIT: Thinking about it, if my 2 years no claims are being used on my existing policy, will I also be able to use them on the new policy?

Last edited by Paulyay; 14th June 2014 at 15:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 14th June 2014, 16:43
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,217 Posts
I can understand if you were upgrading to a Veyron but a 1.8, usually they either charge you a small admin fee for changing or you pay the extra to cover the new car
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 14th June 2014, 16:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezle View Post
I can understand if you were upgrading to a Veyron but a 1.8, usually they either charge you a small admin fee for changing or you pay the extra to cover the new car
I know, it's crazy. I've had various quotes for less than £700 and they won't insure me because I'm 2 months away from their required 3 years no claims discount. They want a £75 admin fee for cancelling the the policy which would result in a huge refund of £35.

Luckily my quote for the civic is pretty much the same with or without the no claims discount so I'll just have to take out the new policy and when the existing policy ends in 2 months transfer the no claims discount over. Whether or not I get 4 years at the end of my new policy is another thing. Worst case scenario is that I miss out on a years no claims.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page