no-claims bonus? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 20:17 Thread Starter

no-claims bonus?

hi, im a bit confused about no-claims bonuss, if you have a car with say 5 years no-claims bonus and then you go out and buy a second car do you also have 5 years no-claims bonus on that car and if not can you take some of the no-claims of the one car and put them on the other car also at the moment im on my mums insurance on my car wich she has now got 2 years no-claims on so when i change my car and insurance company but still in my mums name can i say my mums got 2 years no-claims bonus on my new car? thanks,dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 20:19

Me too......ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 20:25
Exiled Englishman

Car: 2006 1.8 Galaxy Grey
????????????

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 20:28
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Some companies (Direct Line for one) allow you to count being a named driver as building up no claims. It depends on the insurance company.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 20:29
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
You've confused me now too with the second part of your post relating to your Mums insurance.

Regarding the use of NCD it can only be used on one car at a time. There are companies that will duplicate your NCD onto another car, if you hold both policies with the same companies, but that is down to individual companies.

With your Mums insurance are you saying she insures your car with you on as a named driver and has two years NCD?

If you are then yes, if you sell your car and buy another and your Mum is insuring that one, her 2 years NCD will be valid for that new car.

Hope this helps!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 20:56
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX Red
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/buying-...ight=insurance
Have a look at the above as if insurance co thinks you are main driver they may not pay out if insured in mothers name
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 21:03
R - 11859

Car: 2008 Type R-GT Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan00001 View Post
hi, im a bit confused about no-claims bonuss, if you have a car with say 5 years no-claims bonus and then you go out and buy a second car do you also have 5 years no-claims bonus on that car and if not can you take some of the no-claims of the one car and put them on the other car also at the moment im on my mums insurance on my car wich she has now got 2 years no-claims on so when i change my car and insurance company but still in my mums name can i say my mums got 2 years no-claims bonus on my new car? thanks,dan.
Your better off getting an insurance company (eg. Direct Line ) that allow NCB to be gained by the named drivers. This way, when you eventually get your own insurance, you'll have a few years NCB to lower your premium.
DL are not the cheapest though, so beware !
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th March 2008, 00:58
Supporter

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Dan - first up, definately read the thread Dalboy mentioned above

Not suggesting for a moment that it does apply to you, but worth a read anyway
and you need to be careful with phrases like 'my car' if you are the named driver

back to your original question:
If your mum owns a car, on which you have been a named driver for 2 years, and she has 2 yrs NCB.
If you then buy your own car (but she keeps hers), then some insurance companies will let you start off with
at least some NCB, maybe even the full 2 years.

If however, you are say 4 months into your 3rd year of NCB and your mum sells her car, and buys a new one, and keeps you on the insurance then a few things could happen...
1) the old insurance company are happy to insure you (both) on the new car, so will charge you an amount to 'to up' to the end of the third year. This may or may not be the cheapest option for you...

2) you shop around, and find a dead cheap deal. They will only allow you 2 years NCB, as you haven't earnt your 3rd year yet. Bear in mind that you will also get some refund on your current insurance (but not a lot)

3) current insuance co refuses you insurance on the new car. see point 2

hope that makes a least a bit of sense!

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page