car damaged by falling roof tiles - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 10:52 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 08 2.2 ES CIV&09 2.2 EX CRV
car damaged by falling roof tiles

Any advice appreciated.
Morning folks. Our Crv's roof has been significantly damaged by falling storm debris from the roof of an apartment block where we are renting a flat whilst we renovate our own home.
I'm assuming that my car insurance company needs to know, we are of course contacting the apartment management company, I've no idea if it's likely that their insurance will cover the damage. Any how I'm glad that my 6 week old daughter was not sleeping in her pram amongst the debris field and any input rom you lot would be great. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:02
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R FN2, NHB
It's likely your car insurance won't cover it, but the insurance of the building owners should. Keep on at them until they agree to cover the full cost of repair, as it is their responsibility.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:06
Cleaning Moderator

Car: Astra 2.0 SRi with VXR Pack
Thanked 4,119 Times in 3,375 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to shaunwistow
Right, your car insurers WILL cover it if you are fully comprehensive. The Buildings insurers will NOT cover it unless you can prove the owner of the building was negligent.
Thanks to shaunwistow from:

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:07
Cleaning Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropolyte View Post
It's likely your car insurance won't cover it, but the insurance of the building owners should. Keep on at them until they agree to cover the full cost of repair, as it is their responsibility.
Sorry, but that is not correct.
Thank You to shaunwistow from 2 Users:
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:13

Car: 2008 CTR Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwistow View Post
Right, your car insurers WILL cover it if you are fully comprehensive. The Buildings insurers will NOT cover it unless you can prove the owner of the building was negligent.
This, all day long.
Thank You to Bodged from 2 Users:
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:14
Supporter

Really? I'm surprised. I would have thought that the "fault" in this situation would be on the part of the building owner. I guess you're right about having to prove negligence, mind you.

I imagine if the OP were to claim on his car insurance he'd have his NCB affected, and it would go down as an "incident" on his insurance record, so would it not be better to pursue the building owners first?
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:14
The Dugs Baws

Car: CW-0575
Car insurance should cover for storm damage.

After high winds etc there is always a flood of cars in my place needing roof skins, bonnets, windows etc due to falling debris.
Thanks to dobe from:
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:19
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Really? I'm surprised. I would have thought that the "fault" in this situation would be on the part of the building owner. I guess you're right about having to prove negligence, mind you.

I imagine if the OP were to claim on his car insurance he'd have his NCB affected, and it would go down as an "incident" on his insurance record, so would it not be better to pursue the building owners first?
Comes under Force Majur, act of God etc. No one at fault but fully comp would cover it.
Thanks to nturnb from:
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:23
Stage 3 Hybrid

Car: 56 Alabaster FN3
Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,784 Posts
Quote:

"Thinking", "guessing" and "imagining" are NOT the same as knowing.

Mr. Wistow is an insurance assessor.
Thanks to messiahontrial from:
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:24
Supporter

Fair point. I still reckon there's a case for finding the building owners at fault though, so as not to affect your own insurance.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:24
Cleaning Moderator

Quote:

This is the thing, the owner of the building is not at fault. How could the owner forsee what was going to happen. The only way they could be held responsible is for example if the roof was in a poor condition AND the owner was aware of this and they have not done anything about it.
Thanks to shaunwistow from:
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks very much folks, I'll get on to my insurers now, the vehicle is fully comp here's hoping I don't get too heavily penalised for something of absolutely no fault of my own.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:39
Stage 3 Hybrid

Is your NCD protected, Tristan ?
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:50 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahontrial View Post
Is your NCD protected, Tristan ?
It is yea, another potential issue has just occurred to me. The address on the insurance policy is my home address- the property undergoing renovation- and the damage has occurred at the rented apartment, these 2 property's are about a minutes walk apart.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:51

Car: 2011 2.2 Civic EX
You should have quickly laid down where the tiles fell and say u got hit and get a claim
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:53
Stage 3 Hybrid

I'm sure Shaun will confirm, but it's the vehicle that's insured, not the address.

It could quite easily of happened elsewhere, shops, visiting relatives, public car park...
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 12:55
Administrator

Car: Jaguar F Type V6S
Thanked 4,051 Times in 3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahontrial View Post
I'm sure Shaun will confirm, but it's the vehicle that's insured, not the address.

It could quite easily of happened elsewhere, shops, visiting relatives, public car park...
Agree with you Sir Messiah, big bird Wistow will confirm if he can put his coffee down
Thanks to wanner69 from:
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 13:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Cheers all, could someone tell me what the part of the car is called which forms the structural member above the doors, ie the metal structure between the door and the panoramic roof? Just so as I don't sound completely dense when reporting this
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 13:12
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,568 Posts
Garage
when the roof tiles hit my astra sri in 2011 because of high winds my private landlord at the time said it was an act of god and to claim off my car insurance, after turning green then laughed at him i said no way i'd be doing that i need your building insurance its your fault you know the roof needs replacing, landlord came to me the same night and said axa are aware of it and are waiting for my call next day i get in touch give them the reference number explain what as happened to which they then said if the roof would of been in a sound state it would of been classed as an act of god and you would of had to use your car insurance but because the landlord knew the roof needed replacing it would be classed as neglect on his part and i would be able to claim, in the end the landlord didn't want it to go through his insurance and said to deduct the damage costs from the monthly rent.. hope you get your's sorted mate
Thank You to deni.babe from 2 Users:
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 13:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni.babe View Post
when the roof tiles hit my astra sri in 2011 because of high winds my private landlord at the time said it was an act of god and to claim off my car insurance, after turning green then laughed at him i said no way i'd be doing that i need your building insurance its your fault you know the roof needs replacing, landlord came to me the same night and said axa are aware of it and are waiting for my call next day i get in touch give them the reference number explain what as happened to which they then said if the roof would of been in a sound state it would of been classed as an act of god and you would of had to use your car insurance but because the landlord knew the roof needed replacing it would be classed as neglect on his part and i would be able to claim, in the end the landlord didn't want it to go through his insurance and said to deduct the damage costs from the monthly rent.. hope you get your's sorted mate
We have reported it to the building insurers and I am commissioning an independent roofer to compile a report as to the roof condition, more so as to ensure that no more material comes off and injures somebody in the next round of weather, but also to be used in any potential claim against the building insurers. At least I will have taken all reasonable measures to protect myself. It should be said that my landlord, a local estate agent have been hopeless at addressing what apart from the car damage is potentially a safety issue.

Last edited by tristanmortimer; 9th January 2015 at 13:28.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page