insurance query on winter tyre size - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st November 2015, 09:31 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
insurance query on winter tyre size

I've seen a lot of various information on tyre sizes and choosing winter tyres, but cant find anything definitive. Maybe it varies between insurers so there is no common rule.

I'm due to take ownership of the 2015 CTR next week, which comes with 235/35/19 91Y summer tyres as standard fitment.
I'm thinking about getting a second set of cheap alloys with premium branded 225/45/18 91V winter tyres - yes, slightly narrower and smaller diameter with very similar circumference. Bridgestone blizzaks or Goodyear Ultragrips are the most likely brands.

Is the reduction in size & max speed on the winter set something you insurance companies would dislike and grounds to refuse a claim if it came down to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st November 2015, 10:57
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer 1.6 iDTEC
Eco display Eco display
Insurance companies are more tolerant of winter tyres now than they used to be. Even so, I was nervous though when I got mine. I haven't told my insurance company I changed them but I did get them supplied and fitted by a Honda dealer (requesting a price match with blackcircle.com). I don't think they can argue if a Honda dealer supplies it. I think most winter tyres have a slower speed rating so that probably isn't a problem. Having different sized wheels may be reducing your grip so I would be careful but I know others here have done it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st November 2015, 11:30
Supporter

Tyres are a perishable item you don't need to tell your insurance. Alloys if you want to but tyres no. Best solution get some genuine honda alloys and bash em on. Don't have to say anything then.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2015, 19:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danj93 View Post
Tyres are a perishable item you don't need to tell your insurance. Alloys if you want to but tyres no. Best solution get some genuine honda alloys and bash em on. Don't have to say anything then.
genuine 19" alloys for the FK2 typeR are around 350 each. plus 200/ea per winter tyre on OE size. Somewhere around 2k for a full set.

dropping to 18" will more than half that figure; 360 for a *SET* of cheap alloys, and 130/ea for tyres. around the 850 mark. 18" also has more winter tyre models available; maybe twice the available options than 19".

as you can see, there's a massive difference in costs.

Hopefully one of the insurance companies here can chime in before i ring 'em over the next few days. at least i can plan things accurately before phoning.

Last edited by veehexx; 22nd November 2015 at 19:11.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2015, 20:01
Banned

Hi,
If you find you have any issues with insurance at all for winter tyres then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2015, 09:26
Commercial user

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
I've seen a lot of various information on tyre sizes and choosing winter tyres, but cant find anything definitive. Maybe it varies between insurers so there is no common rule.

I'm due to take ownership of the 2015 CTR next week, which comes with 235/35/19 91Y summer tyres as standard fitment.
I'm thinking about getting a second set of cheap alloys with premium branded 225/45/18 91V winter tyres - yes, slightly narrower and smaller diameter with very similar circumference. Bridgestone blizzaks or Goodyear Ultragrips are the most likely brands.

Is the reduction in size & max speed on the winter set something you insurance companies would dislike and grounds to refuse a claim if it came down to it?
Your insurer will probably require notification when you switch between summer and winter tyres. Regarding whether the company will charge more or disallow the smaller wheels - the best advice? Ring your insurer and ask them the question. Only they will know what they want.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2015, 10:17
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Of course you should tell your insurer, this IS a non-standard modification. Don't give them a chance to reject a future claim.

If they try to charge you extra then make a big fuss and threaten to report them... a few years ago this unfair practice was rightly condemned by the ombudsman.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th November 2015, 11:51 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
no problem with insurance. the size i plan is what honda are saying to use aswell (they use 18" for winter, 19" for summer tyres)

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page