Advice please-no fault accident - Civinfo
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cb550
  • 2 Post By cosmicma

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 06:52 Thread Starter

Advice please-no fault accident

rear end shunt at low speed due to lack of attention by third party.

Other party suggsted settling privately.

What is the best way of mitigating any insurance hikes for me? I have about 10 years protected NCD.

My initial hought is that other party is just thinking of themselves and that i should contact his insurers to make claim rather than initiate claim via my insurers but simply tell my insurers about the no fault claim for information only? Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 07:18
Supporter

Car: 2009 Type R GT Silver
If you notify your insurers then it will be recorded as an accident regardless of whether you are at fault or not and therefore will have to declare it when shopping for insurance for the next 3-5 years.

My wife had a non fault accident a few years ago, notified her insurers with no intention of claiming as damage was minimal but they still recorded it as an accident. We only found out the following year when we didn't declare it to our new insurers and they did their checks and it was on the database. It resulted in an increase in premium even though it was a non fault and we didn't claim.

You're legally obliged to notify your insurers but personally if you can settle without involving the insurance companies then could be a win win for both parties.

Just get them to agree to you choosing your own garage/body repair shop to fix your car. He may eventually decide to go through insurance if your costs mount up as you need to cost in alternative transport depending on how long your car will be off the road.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 07:48

Car: 2006 1.8 ivtec Civic 8th Gen
Settle without insurance if you can as above it will be on record for 5 years even if your found not at fault .

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 08:41
Supporter

They might change their mind when you get the quote for repair, if it's minimal cost and they agree get the cash and go for it to save the NCB.

T.G.

Last edited by Topgeezer; 19th July 2017 at 08:44.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 08:42
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
If I was in that position, if it was anything more than a minor crack in the rear bumper or broken lamp, I'd get the insurance on it. If it was either of the above, I'd require the cash in hand for the replacement parts within 24 hours, or again get the insurance to deal with it.
Farqui likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 09:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes,this is the problem,,,people can agree to these arrangements and then get forgetfull. I wonder if there is a time limit for reporting via insurance? I mean if i still didnt have a settlement 2 or 3 weeks downline and i reported to insurance wouldnt they query it? Could i deal with his insurers rather than mine? how much is my premium likely to go up in a no fault situation? seems wrong to me..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 10:09
Supporter

i had a similar thing last august with a small non fault shunt

i reported it to my insurance company and claimed directly from the 3rd parties insurance company who admitted 100% liability from the start
there was no interaction with my insurance apart from notifying them of the accident but my insurance still went up by 100 on the next policy

your best bet is to try and keep the insurance companies out of it if you can but make sure ALL the damage is put right
mine needed a small repair underneath the bumper which obviously can't be seen until the bumper is off
Kremmen and Farqui like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 20:34
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,217 Posts
Claim, you did nothing wrong, they're at fault, they should of been paying attention.
A non fault mark on your record isn't really going to change future quotes, I've just past 3yrs since my non fault accident & I've been insuring 2 cars with no change in prices.
If you do find it goes up use all comparison sites as they all differ, also use sites like quidco & get cash back, esure offer 40 cash back for new customers

Last edited by dweezle; 19th July 2017 at 20:36.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2017, 06:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Agree with dweezle,,, dont stand for it. If insurers try to hike your premium for a non fault accident then tell them you feel its unfair, give them a chance to moderate their quote and if they dont, cancel and re-quote.

The other thing i find annoying is if you initiate a claim via your insurers for a non fault incident, they may be apt to hike your premium pending settlement but do they repay the hike when the claim is settled in your favour? i doubt it !

A friend of mine suffered no fault damage whilst his car was parked and he wasnt even in it. He managed to catch the fleeing driver and the claim was settled in his favour(no fault). His insurance tried it on with a big hike so he binned them and re-insured with another company for no increase.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2017, 07:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I wonder how amenable third party insurers are to approaches by the victims of such clear no fault accidents? Could a threat of an AMC spur them on a bit? come to think of it, in the cut throat world of insurance could an AMC be the best route? Has anyone ever used Honda assist? It appears to be a shop window for Slater Gordon. Are AMCs likely to take such a case if you dont require a hire car as this is one of their main routes for fee earning? How do AMCs earn their money for managing cases that are fed to them ?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2017, 07:14
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Accident management companies ala ambulance chasers are often just leeches IMO. They inflate the claim to the max which is one reason why premiums are rising.

It was all nicer years ago when a no fault accident, settled by the other insurance company left no record on your books so nothing changed.

Just my view
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2017, 16:59
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
I wonder how amenable third party insurers are to approaches by the victims of such clear no fault accidents? Could a threat of an AMC spur them on a bit? come to think of it, in the cut throat world of insurance could an AMC be the best route? Has anyone ever used Honda assist? It appears to be a shop window for Slater Gordon. Are AMCs likely to take such a case if you dont require a hire car as this is one of their main routes for fee earning? How do AMCs earn their money for managing cases that are fed to them ?
in my case i was having a little difficulty securing a courtesy car while my car was being repaired
at the time of arguing with them about having a courtesy car i pointed out i could go straight to an AMC and an hour later i would be driving away in a courtesy car pointing out if i did decide to do this there bill would probably go up 10 fold
they didn't give a hoot if i decided to use the services of an AMC but in the end i did manage to get a courtesy car

the way i know my insurance rose by 100 is the day before the accident i had been searching quotes online ( that time of the year again ) and the day after the accident i re did the quotes with the same insurance companies, all of them had gone up in price
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 17:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

if you dont have motor legal protection or similar, do insurance companies pass you to AMCs or their favourite CFA solicitor for a referral fee?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 19:51
Supporter

Car: 2009 Type R GT Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
if you dont have motor legal protection or similar, do insurance companies pass you to AMCs or their favourite CFA solicitor for a referral fee?
No they dont. But they only tend to use solicitors to recover uninsured losses like contents in car, travelling expenses etc.

Disputing who is to blame is usually sorted between insurance companies and very rarely go to court as legal costs will far exceed what they're trying to avoid paying out.

Insurance companies do sell your details to ambulance chasers, hence the reason you get those annoying cold callers.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 18:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just an update -- After the other party continually tried to duck out of payment i informed my own insurance co for information only. They informed his insurers internally and they kindly offered their own internal AMC services. I chose my own recommended honda repair facility , they paid the bill and paid for a nice hire car. It had a complete new upper and lower bumper fitted . There was no metal damage,just slightly deformed bumper due to impact. Moral of the tale, be very wary of anyone offering a private settlement because the truth is, they are only trying to save their own necks.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in