6Likes
  • 1 Post By flashy
  • 5 Post By ChrisKnottIns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 06:55 Thread Starter
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Insurance overlap

We're picking up the missus new car on Wednesday and we still have to sell her old car which leads me to a question. If the insurance switches to the new car how can potential buyers of the old car take it on a test drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 07:31
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
We're picking up the missus new car on Wednesday and we still have to sell her old car which leads me to a question. If the insurance switches to the new car how can potential buyers of the old car take it on a test drive?
I think the official answer is they can't unless they specifically insure themselves to drive on that car. Its my understanding that the car has to be insured for them to be able to drive it on their insurance and then it's only third party I believe. I hopefully for you stand to be corrected.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 07:44 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

I think you're right mate, might have to sorn it and sell it from the drive, which isn't ideal. Might have to make it a giveaway price.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 08:49
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 Milano Type S GT
I think, even if you still had the car insured for your missus, (or both of you), someone coming to test drive it would not be insured on your policy, unless it was specifically stated in the policy and if they wanted to drive it they would have to arrange their own insurance to do so.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 11:18
Supporter

Car: 2010 1.8 SI Black Pearl
Garage
If you have fully comp insurance and are the policy holder, you can drive any car with the owners permission but cover will only be third party.
Just need to check there insurance before letting them drive.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 11:32 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

Doesn't the car have to be insured though? The missus will be insured on the new car so the old car insurance will be lapsed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 11:47
Supporter

Car: 2010 1.8 SI Black Pearl
Garage
Yes, sorry my mistake,misread the policy.
Could you not insure it on a short term policy?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 11:48
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Doesn't the car have to be insured though? The missus will be insured on the new car so the old car insurance will be lapsed.
Yes from what you say this spare car will technically be uninsured, so get it off road and SORN it.
You may be able to insure it for a short term, google "daily car insurance", so you can drive it to demonstrate it to potential buyers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 12:33 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

Thanks all, think I'll just get it sorn and buyers will have to either trailer it or get it up and running again. It's a bit of a PITA really
Bones126 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 14:04
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Your insurance company will sort temp cover for your old car no issue, but be prepared to be fondled in a not very nice manor. I tried to do it for my last car and they wanted £90 for 1 weeks extra cover. I told them to do one. There are insurance companies who specialize in short duration cover though, google is your friend.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th May 2019, 10:31
Commercial user

The usual solution while you sell a car is to keep the old car on the policy for a time as a 'temporary additional vehicle' (usually offered in two week chunks by the insurer). It doesn't cost much to do that (£16 on our policies I think). That means the car is still covered for fire, theft, vandalism and the road risk if you want to use it before sale.

To answer the question about comprehensive insurance which allows Driving Other Cars, not all insurers offer that and you generally have to be over 25. In any case your test driver will only be covered third party - which means you'll get nothing from the insurer if they prang it but at least damage to third parties is covered.

You could control the test drive by setting parameters before you set off and maybe even driving it yourself until you get somewhere safe/remote for the test drive to happen to reduce the risk as far as you practically can but there's no ideal insurance solution for this scenario.
cb550, RA108, Andy17 and 2 others like this.
Thanks to ChrisKnottIns from:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th May 2019, 08:24
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Yep I was going to say, even if you have your own insurance, I understand it only covers you fully comp, not 3rd party drivers, unless it's any driver.

I'm guessing maybe this is something the insurance industry needs to address. A Temporary Additional Vehicle option, that offers "Any Driver" cover.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page