Honda Insurance - Warning about exclusions - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 00:45 Thread Starter

Honda Insurance - Warning about exclusions

I have just been reading the fine print in my Honda insurance pack and was shocked to find the following Exclusion :-

"Kept overnight - When your vehicle is kept at your home address overnight there will be no cover under Sections 4 (Fire and Theft) and 5 (Accidental Damage) of the policy for any loss or damage which happens between 10.00pm and 6.00am unless your vehicle is in a locked garage or on a driveway behind locked gates"

Now this is news to me and I would NEVER have taken out the insurance if I had been mad aware of those conditions. When I took out the policy they asked where the car was parked overnight and I said on the drive, they never stated it had to be behind locked gates to be covered. This is a real issue for me as I am now uninsured while on my own drive, this was not made clear when I made the purchase and is yet another loop hole for the insurer to use to not pay out. I will now have to have gates fitted or move insurers, which will not be easy if at all possible as I have a claim underway (stupid person reversed into me)

So be warned, if you don't have a lockable garage or can lock the car behind gates then AVOID Honda insurance (provided by Zurich)

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 00:48
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
That is a complete joke that is and glad youve made everyone aware of it as i bet most dont realise this. As its not something they would like to advertise.

If i was you id make an official complaint to them about it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 01:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Having read the small print even more!!!

It now seems that the Endorsements listed in the documents only apply if they are specifically mentioned on your policy documents.

I have just checked my actual policy and it only states that Endorsement 25 applies, which relates to drivers under 25. Therefore the issue I have raised above (endorsement 44) does not actually apply to me - thankfully.

Sorry to have raised this, but it may be that they do try to apply it to some people, I suppose it may depend on the area you live in.

It is therefore not as bad as I originally painted it, sorry again.

Ian

PS I am also relieved!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 09:56
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Lumpy Black
Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky View Post
Sorry to have raised this, but it may be that they do try to apply it to some people, I suppose it may depend on the area you live in.

It is therefore not as bad as I originally painted it, sorry again.
Don't apologise!! You have just done a lot of CivInfo members, particularly under 25, a huge favour in giving them this info. I am insured with Egg but will be checking the exclusions very closely when I get home... like I should've done when I bought their insurance!

Well done.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 14:34

Now that's just a stupid exclusion. I can understand drivers aged under 25 having certain exclusions because they're statistically more likely to have an accident while they're driving, but why should their age make any difference as to the likelihood of them having their car damaged by fire or theft when it's parked at home?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 14:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebble View Post
Now that's just a stupid exclusion. I can understand drivers aged under 25 having certain exclusions because they're statistically more likely to have an accident while they're driving, but why should their age make any difference as to the likelihood of them having their car damaged by fire or theft when it's parked at home?
I seem to have confused you. The two endorsements are not related to each other.

Endorsement 25 relates to drivers under 25 not being insured and Endorsement 44 relates to Kept Overnight and the rules that apply.

These only apply to your policy (as do any Endorsements), if they are specifically mentioned as being applied to your policy.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 15:00
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
So if I claim my car is kept garaged overnight & therefore my premium drops as a result, might they apply the exclusion 44 but it would be stated as such? Just trying to get this straight...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 15:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by apemonkeyman View Post
So if I claim my car is kept garaged overnight & therefore my premium drops as a result, might they apply the exclusion 44 but it would be stated as such? Just trying to get this straight...
On your policy they state what is covered and part of that is a sections where they apply any special endorsements that they feel need to be applied to your specific policy.

SO if on your policy in the Endorsement section there is nothing listed then none of the specific endorsements apply. Only if Endorsement 44 was specifically mentioned would you need to have your car in a garage or locked behind gates.

As a separate point:
When you took out the policy what did you reply when they asked where the car would be kept overnight? If you said 'in a locked garage' and in fact this was not true then you would not be insured if it was stolen from your house as you had not in fact told the truth when you bought the policy.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 1st May 2007, 15:21
Supporter

Ain't it strange how we keep worthless junk locked up in a garage & an expensive car outside on the driveway.... & why do house builders build garages so small you'd be hard pressed to get anything bigger than a mini into one?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 4th May 2007, 08:27
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Always read the smallprint, sometimes things really aren't what they seem
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 5th May 2007, 21:17
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ thgnoq

Send a message via MSN to pariah
Honda (Zurich) was also the most expensive of all the quotes I had for the Civic.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 5th May 2007, 21:20
Obo
Rusty Nut!

Send a message via MSN to Obo
I just did mine on Thursday and it was over double my quote with my current insurer, (plus now I see these odd exclusions), the girl just laughed when I told her they're obviously used to it, she was really helpful and friendly though one of the nicest sales people I've ever had to ring
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 5th May 2007, 21:27

I thought that they were very polite and helpful aswell, shame it was such a duff price!!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 5th May 2007, 21:35
Supporter

Angry Just be happy its not a Honda M/C

If the Civic was a motorcycle you would find it very hard to get insurance if you did NOT accept the conditions quoted in the original post.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 5th May 2007, 22:54
Kids use a lot of space

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX1300man View Post
If the Civic was a motorcycle you would find it very hard to get insurance if you did NOT accept the conditions quoted in the original post.
So true! My M/C isn't insured for theft or damage within 0.5 Miles of my home address unless it's locked in the garage!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th May 2007, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah View Post
Honda (Zurich) was also the most expensive of all the quotes I had for the Civic.
's funny that!

I got my best quote from those guys, so they got my business - and I got 25 M&S vouchers thrown in as well!

"Metaphors be with you!"

Charles H.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th May 2007, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Harding View Post
's funny that!

I got my best quote from those guys, so they got my business - and I got 25 M&S vouchers thrown in as well!

Charles H.
Isn't insurance an unpredictable beast...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th May 2007, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
So true! My M/C isn't insured for theft or damage within 0.5 Miles of my home address unless it's locked in the garage!
Mine aswell!!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th May 2007, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah View Post
Isn't insurance an unpredictable beast...
So's the flipping filler flap!

"I don't understand why people take years in writing a book. You can buy one few a few quid in Tesco's!"

Charles H.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th May 2007, 17:33
Supporter

Car: 2007 NHB CTR
Must get around to reading the small print on my policy...BTW Honda insurance was £5500 for me!!!

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page