Civic insurance expensive?? - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 02:49 Thread Starter
Helpee
 
RobCDTi's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 i-CTDi
Join Date: 26th August 2009
Location: Wolverhampton ENGLAND
Posts: 126
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Civic insurance expensive??

I'm insured with Privilege and so decided last month when my wifes insurance was up to get a quote using Privilege's 'Multi-Car' discount.

Esure renewal - £440, Privilege 'Multi-Car' policy £226. Superb.
This is for a 2010 VW Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion. Full no claims, no points, 1 accident in the last 3 years but non-fault all costs recovered.

My renewal came through today at over £300. This is for a 2007 2.2 CTDi ES. Full no claims, no points, no claims - ever!

Got a Privilege quote online using multi-car and got £325. Go compare gave me £346 cheapest.

Pretty annoyed, I'm sure the 'Greener' cars get a better rate but it's worth a hell of a lot more than the Civic so I can't understand the difference. I know the Civic has more BHP but I doubt the diesel is a 'boy racer' type of car.

I'm just ranting, nearly 25 years driving, NEVER made a claim and no points, insurance should surely be a nominal amount for me!

Sorry for the younger ones reading this who would love to pay £300. I was young once and had to pay ridiculous premiums.
RobCDTi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 05:50
Super Moderator
 
Grayfox's Avatar
 
Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Join Date: 1st February 2012
Location: NSW, Australia AU
Posts: 7,124
Thanks: 93
Thanked 1,010 Times in 891 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
In Australia it is $2300 for under 25s, but since i(24yeas old) have a 65% no claim discount it is $1033, since i added Third party property damage(which is a must) with the same company my insurance went down to $980 which made HAPPY
Grayfox is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 07:26
 
James1989's Avatar
 
Car: Civic Type S GT 2.2 2011
Join Date: 17th January 2012
Location: Essex, England ENGLAND
Posts: 52
Thanks: 10
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCDTi View Post
I'm insured with Privilege and so decided last month when my wifes insurance was up to get a quote using Privilege's 'Multi-Car' discount.

Esure renewal - £440, Privilege 'Multi-Car' policy £226. Superb.
This is for a 2010 VW Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion. Full no claims, no points, 1 accident in the last 3 years but non-fault all costs recovered.

My renewal came through today at over £300. This is for a 2007 2.2 CTDi ES. Full no claims, no points, no claims - ever!

Got a Privilege quote online using multi-car and got £325. Go compare gave me £346 cheapest.

Pretty annoyed, I'm sure the 'Greener' cars get a better rate but it's worth a hell of a lot more than the Civic so I can't understand the difference. I know the Civic has more BHP but I doubt the diesel is a 'boy racer' type of car.

I'm just ranting, nearly 25 years driving, NEVER made a claim and no points, insurance should surely be a nominal amount for me!

Sorry for the younger ones reading this who would love to pay £300. I was young once and had to pay ridiculous premiums.
I understand what you're saying, I would personally say anything around £300 is actually very good.

I know my costs, being 23, 2 fault claims, partial cost recovered on one and 3 points with only one years NCD means I'm paying £1500 on a Civic 2.2 Type S Gt!

The difference you are getting with the Golf and the Civic would be insurance group, from memory (I work in insurance for a living) the Golf is insurance group 6 while I know the Civic insurance group 10, this is in the old school system when it was out of 20 rather than 50!

I would hesitate a guess and say you have not disclosed your remap to the insurance company as I would expect it higher!

James
James1989 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th March 2012, 17:05
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
 
atomic's Avatar
 
Car: 2.2 Type S GT
Join Date: 3rd March 2010
Location: Norfolk GB
Posts: 941
Thanks: 3
Thanked 77 Times in 71 Posts
iTrader: (4)
Sounds about right for an increase, the Civic is more powerful than the Golf.
atomic is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th March 2012, 01:20 Thread Starter
Helpee
** Thread starter **
 
RobCDTi's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 i-CTDi
Join Date: 26th August 2009
Location: Wolverhampton ENGLAND
Posts: 126
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1989 View Post
I understand what you're saying, I would personally say anything around £300 is actually very good.

I know my costs, being 23, 2 fault claims, partial cost recovered on one and 3 points with only one years NCD means I'm paying £1500 on a Civic 2.2 Type S Gt!

The difference you are getting with the Golf and the Civic would be insurance group, from memory (I work in insurance for a living) the Golf is insurance group 6 while I know the Civic insurance group 10, this is in the old school system when it was out of 20 rather than 50!

I would hesitate a guess and say you have not disclosed your remap to the insurance company as I would expect it higher!

James

2 years ago I was paying just over £200.

I haven't disclosed the remap. If someone hits me then it's not relevant as far as I'm concerned. If I drive like a lunatic (I don't - I do too many miles) and crash then I probably wouldn't claim, either pay myself for the damages or break it and sell the parts.

I hate insurance, I only have it because it's legally required.

Sorry to digress, but let me tell you a story.

June last year my wife had an accident. She was driving home from work and a flat bed truck was approaching on the opposite side of the road. It was pretty windy and the truck had an unsecured load. A wooden pallet was blown off and came hurtling towards my wifes car, she did exactly the right thing in braking heavily but not trying to swerve to avoid it which could have caused her to hit something else. The pallet hit the front of the car, smashing the NSF headlight, scratching the bumber and denting the bonnet where it hit and bounced over the car. 2 cars following the truck were also damaged by other items coming loose. The truck carried on, it only stopped when chased by the 4x4 that was behind it that had it's windscreen smashed by something off the truck. It stopped anout 100 yards away. The truck driver became abusive claiming it was nothing to do with him. My wife then called the police who were not interested as no one was injured, but as the truck driver was refusing to give her any details she passed him her phone and he did eventually give his details to the police. Meanwhile a van decided to slow down and look at what was happening and a car behind hit the back of the van and another car hit the back of that car. The second car contained a woman and two kids and my wife, who had just been in accident herself, ended up calming down the woman and her kids. Due to the 2nd accident the police then arrived but refused to prosecute the driver of the flat bed truck and his unsecured/dangerous load. My wifes car was taken to her insurance companies recommended repairer. She had to fill in an injury form and she said she just had slight bruising off the seatbelt, no problem, no time off work. I'm not going to go into detail about the insurers recommended repairer, just to say after 4 attempts we got the insurance company to agree we could take it elsewhere who did a perfect job first time....

Several weeks later my wife had a letter saying she had to see a consultant regarding her injuries. She contacted them and said the slight bruising had completely gone. They wrote back insisting she see the consultant so she did. She told the consultant she had a bit of bruising, now gone, not a problem.

A few weeks later she had a letter saying the legal team were trying to get her £1,500 compensation for her injuries. She wrote back saying (I'm not joking here) she had no injury and didn't wan't compensation. They wrote back saying the other insurance company was contesting the £1,500 and were only offering £1,000. She wrote back saying I'll take the £1,000. They wrote back saying don't accept that, it's not enough. She phoned them and said I don't want compensation, they said try for £1,300. Honestly!! In the end she had to contact them in writing instructing them to accept the £1,000. We have now recieved a cheque for £1,000 because my wife had to brake heavily.

This is why my insurance is expensive. I'm sorry, I'm sure lots of you would have loved £1k but we didn't want it. What we wanted was for the truck driver to be prosecuted for an unsecure load but the police weren't interested.

I hate insurance companies. What amazes me is that they insist on personal injury claims. Sure;y they have as many against them as they instigate. No one wins.

Sorry about the rant
RobCDTi is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th March 2012, 22:40
 
Car: Type R (Milano Red)
Join Date: 11th March 2012
Location: Cambridge ENGLAND
Posts: 245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I've always told myself personal claims are wrong however 4 years ago someone drove straight into the back of me on a motorway slip road writing off my car and giving me whiplash. after a month of pain getting worse and doctors doing nothing a decided to claim. i cant remember the exact amount a eventually settled on but it was under 2k. this was based on the fact from a professional doctor who i had to go see told me the pain was just muscle damage and should be fine in 6 months. i wish i now never settled as 4 years on and my shoulder is still playing up. sometimes its perfectly fine, other time i feel pain just lifting a pint of milk. this is a perfect example of where this is a good idea, but it does get very very much abused.
Ash101 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th March 2012, 00:08
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
 
The Vision's Avatar
 
Car: 56 plate 1.8 ES cosmic grey
Join Date: 24th November 2009
Location: liverpool ENGLAND
Posts: 3,095
Thanks: 231
Thanked 561 Times in 490 Posts
iTrader: (3)
£300 i wouldn't argue!!
The Vision is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th March 2012, 09:37
Supporter
 
Xrv750's Avatar
 
Car: Ford Focus Titanium 100
Join Date: 16th July 2011
Location: Glasgow UK SCOTLAND
Posts: 512
Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 55 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I'm paying £329 with Aviva less the £20 Markie's voucher they sent me for renewing promptly
Xrv750 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th March 2012, 10:53
World Traveller
 
Stevo!'s Avatar
 
Car: (64) 1.6 DCI Megane GT Line
Join Date: 4th January 2012
Location: Surrey ENGLAND
Posts: 1,814
Thanks: 217
Thanked 232 Times in 226 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Try Admiral Multi Car, im 19 and live in Croydon, South London, so 'highish' crime rate, and that got my quote down by £500 when i was 18 and had 1 year NCB, It also got my mums down by £250 when Swinton's up'ed hers.

If you get a quote let me know how it goes, because next month my renewal will be coming though the post..
Stevo! is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th March 2012, 22:51
 
Car: Type R (Milano Red)
Join Date: 11th March 2012
Location: Cambridge ENGLAND
Posts: 245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo! View Post
Try Admiral Multi Car, im 19 and live in Croydon, South London, so 'highish' crime rate, and that got my quote down by £500 when i was 18 and had 1 year NCB, It also got my mums down by £250 when Swinton's up'ed hers.

If you get a quote let me know how it goes, because next month my renewal will be coming though the post..
never accept renewals by letter, there always higher. just ring up and say you want to cancel your renewal (if its automatic). obviously do your shopping before hand. i've always found moneysupermart to be the best comparison site and is cheaper, even with the same details, same insurer. You can give quote numbers from the comparison sites to other insurance companies (well I have done so in the past).

just wait until your 27, it will come down a lot then as well
Ash101 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th March 2012, 23:04
This may be spam
 
Dave.M89's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 DSB CTR
Join Date: 25th August 2008
Location: Portsmouth GB
Posts: 1,504
Thanks: 48
Thanked 125 Times in 111 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
In Australia it is $2300 for under 25s, but since i(24yeas old) have a 65% no claim discount it is $1033, since i added Third party property damage(which is a must) with the same company my insurance went down to $980 which made HAPPY
He said not to compare against youth insurance! But if you want a comparison my insurance at 18 on my 1.4 was ~£5k AUD!
Dave.M89 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th March 2012, 02:33
World Traveller
 
Stevo!'s Avatar
 
Car: (64) 1.6 DCI Megane GT Line
Join Date: 4th January 2012
Location: Surrey ENGLAND
Posts: 1,814
Thanks: 217
Thanked 232 Times in 226 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash101 View Post
never accept renewals by letter, there always higher. just ring up and say you want to cancel your renewal (if its automatic). obviously do your shopping before hand. i've always found moneysupermart to be the best comparison site and is cheaper, even with the same details, same insurer. You can give quote numbers from the comparison sites to other insurance companies (well I have done so in the past).

just wait until your 27, it will come down a lot then as well
True, but if you speak to them on the phone you can squeeze money out of them

Can't see anyone beating admiral, got an absolutely amazing price for the last year, hopefully I'll be proved wrong for my banks sake
Stevo! is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st March 2012, 11:53
World Traveller
 
Stevo!'s Avatar
 
Car: (64) 1.6 DCI Megane GT Line
Join Date: 4th January 2012
Location: Surrey ENGLAND
Posts: 1,814
Thanks: 217
Thanked 232 Times in 226 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Maybe not.... just got my quote threw and its gone down by £100.... thought it would have dropped a lot more, dont understand it though because i got a quote last month and it was £1400 now i go on the same website and the cheapest i am getting is £1900 which makes no sense, surely prices havent risen that fast...??
Stevo! is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st March 2012, 16:39
 
Osarkon's Avatar
 
Car: 2013 1.8 Crystal Black EX
Join Date: 2nd August 2009
Location: Pembrokeshire WALES
Posts: 479
Thanks: 29
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I'm paying £350 on exactly the same car, and I'm only 23.

3 years no claims, no points.

Work that one out.
Osarkon is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st March 2012, 20:41
World Traveller
 
Stevo!'s Avatar
 
Car: (64) 1.6 DCI Megane GT Line
Join Date: 4th January 2012
Location: Surrey ENGLAND
Posts: 1,814
Thanks: 217
Thanked 232 Times in 226 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Insurance is cheaper for over 21's, Ncb or not.

And you probably live in a nicer area lol
Stevo! is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st March 2012, 21:22
 
Osarkon's Avatar
 
Car: 2013 1.8 Crystal Black EX
Join Date: 2nd August 2009
Location: Pembrokeshire WALES
Posts: 479
Thanks: 29
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo! View Post
Insurance is cheaper for over 21's, Ncb or not.

And you probably live in a nicer area lol
Well I know my postcode is pretty much the safest one judging by what insurance companies base it on which always helps, but I used Quidco to get a nice chunk of cashback as well.

I would have thought insurance was only cheaper after you hit 25 these days?
Osarkon is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2012, 00:34
World Traveller
 
Stevo!'s Avatar
 
Car: (64) 1.6 DCI Megane GT Line
Join Date: 4th January 2012
Location: Surrey ENGLAND
Posts: 1,814
Thanks: 217
Thanked 232 Times in 226 Posts
iTrader: (2)
21, 25 that's when it appears to drop the sharpest for most people, can't wait! Lol
Stevo! is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this cheap or expensive? cowlisim General Discussion (8G) 4 2nd July 2011 20:39
Expensive car wash. Coldwarkid Any non Civic chat here please! 0 20th July 2010 16:43
Expensive Day onweed Type-R 14 31st May 2010 23:12
Chris Knott Insurance: Email quote, breakdown cover, travel insurance, home insurance Pottsy Chris Knott Insurance 0 25th March 2010 11:28
Now i know why insurance is so expensive!!! HenryTheHonda General Discussion (8G) 11 29th January 2009 14:57

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome