Advising insurance of mods - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10th April 2012, 15:50 Thread Starter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door, Milano Red
Advising insurance of mods

Hi all. Before buying my Civic I changed the car details with my insurer stating that the car was standard as I thought this to be true. After posting pics of my car in the gallery section of this forum I found out that it has in fact got the Grand Prix Kit fitted. I have emailed my insurer (Renew Insurance) saying that I am due to be fitting the kit, expecting them to quote me for how much this would affect my premium. They have emailed back to say that this would in fact be unacceptable to them! Obviously this is a problem as the kit is already fitted. Is it normal practice for mods to invalidate the insurance or will this be specific to my Renew Insurance policy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10th April 2012, 22:59
Banned

Your insurance company are MORONS.

Explain to them that it is an optional extra available WITH the car, just as are Rage alloys, sat nav. It's a Honda product.

The fact your insurance have even told you that, just indicates what absolute ***** they are, i'd happily not take up a policy with them and look at a new insurer if i was you.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10th April 2012, 23:00
Banned

I'm an insurance underwriter btw, and my company is STRICT.

We wouldn't ever in a million years, reject a vehicle for a optional extra.

They probably just heard the phrase "grand prix kit" and assumed
Thanks to FrankstaH from:

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10th April 2012, 23:03
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome123 View Post
Is it normal practice for mods to invalidate the insurance or will this be specific to my Renew Insurance policy?
Going by what you have said, you appear to have a serious problem here - in that your insurance could be invalidated in the event of a claim.
It is certainly not unusual for insurance companies to look for was to avoid paying out, and undeclared modifications are a favourite.

I am however very surprised that this company refuse to cover you with a fairly standard cosmetic modification.
I would think the majority of companies will cover you with this, and some may not even charge extra.

If you bought the car 2nd hand then its perfectly reasonable that you did not know it had been modified from standard, but due to you having already enquired about the GP kit with your current insurer and the reply you received, i would be looking at changing insurer urgently if i was you.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 11:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I have only communicated via email so far, I will be phoning them this afternoon to clarify exactly where I stand. I am aware that currently my insurance may be invalid so I am keen to get this sorted.

How would you describe the bodykit to them? Is it Honda standard fit? Or aftermarket? The car is 3.5yrs old, I have owned it for just over a week so am not sure if the kit was added as new or after it was first bought. The name 'Grand Prix Kit' I admit does make it sound rather over the top, when in fact it is fairly subtle and obviously doesn't affect performance at all, although possibly would make it more desirable to thieves.

I am currently getting new quotes from moneysupermarket.com and have added a full body kit to the car details. This has put the quotes up from about 350 per year to about 550. Seeing as I will be paying monthly, most companies will be expecting 120-170 up front and plus a possible 55 charge from Renew Insurance to cancel which added up, I cannot really afford.

All in all it is not a good situation to be in as I was honestly not aware of the bodykit when I brought it, I cannot now return the car and don't want to get stung for insurance. From reading a few threads on here it seems that adding a non-performance mod should be fine and only add a few pounds to my premium rather than making it invalid. Part of me wishes I had never mentioned it to them, perhaps I have been too honest but i'm not taking the risk of driving about with basically no insurance.

Thanks for the replies, Matt.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 14:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Having spoken to Renew this afternoon it seems that if the bodykit is factory fitted i.e it was fitted when the car was new then that doesn't affect my premium. If it had been fitted as an aftermarket kit then they would refuse to insure me!!?? I'm expecting a call back from the Honda dealer where I brought it from today to try and confirm when the kit was added although I don't know how they will know for sure unless they can contact the previous owner. What difference it makes as to when it was fitted I don't know as it doesn't affect how it looks now, it's still a Honda kit no matter what.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 14:15
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
Quote:
How would you describe the bodykit to them? Is it Honda standard fit? Or aftermarket? The car is 3.5yrs old, I have owned it for just over a week so am not sure if the kit was added as new or after it was first bought. The name 'Grand Prix Kit' I admit does make it sound rather over the top, when in fact it is fairly subtle and obviously doesn't affect performance at all, although possibly would make it more desirable to thieves.
"Optional extra" is how to describe it, as it's not standard but can be fitted by Honda.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 14:35
Supporter

Car: NHB CTR-15566
Have to agree, if its an OEM optional extra then it's not a modification to the original spec. I think you insurance company presumed it was an aftermarket kit.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 14:40
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Car: V'9 STI
Send a message via MSN to Scotty182
If it's the same kit as your profile ones; it's not the GP kit, it's the 'Image pack' from honda, just stick on extras (optional extras!)
(all too common misunderstanding; even from the dealers )

Ring the insurer and advise them it is simply 'surrounding trim that protects the vehicle' and dont forget to state its a honda protection extra called the 'image pack'

They should view this differently and i would not expect you quote to go up at all!

Examples:
Image pack - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mjg2WDM4Ng...3jg~~60_35.JPG

GP Pack - http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/image...ix-qpr_LRG.jpg

Last edited by Scotty182; 11th April 2012 at 14:43. Reason: Better pics
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 16:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty182 View Post
If it's the same kit as your profile ones; it's not the GP kit, it's the 'Image pack' from honda, just stick on extras (optional extras!)
(all too common misunderstanding; even from the dealers )

Ring the insurer and advise them it is simply 'surrounding trim that protects the vehicle' and dont forget to state its a honda protection extra called the 'image pack'

They should view this differently and i would not expect you quote to go up at all!

Examples:
Image pack - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mjg2WDM4Ng...3jg~~60_35.JPG

GP Pack - http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/image...ix-qpr_LRG.jpg
This is my car - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery...rst-civic.html

Post 5 suggests it is the GP kit although not being an expert I am open to opinions!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 16:37
Supporter

Regarding what is actually fitted to your car, i had a look at your profile as pointed out by Scotty182.
It looks to me like your car does have the image pack, however it has been fully colour coded. Note even your fog light blanks have been sprayed red.
My car has the factory fitted image pack but the only parts that are colour coded are below the front and rear bumpers, an extra part along the sills, and the rear spoiler. The trim that runs round the wheel arches is the standard dark grey colour.
Many people on herre have colour coded the trim on their Civics, although i dont know if they tell their insurance companies and if so what difference it makes.
One thing is for sure though....this company of yours - Renew, dont sound like a very good company to deal with.
Here is a photo of my 2008 car for you to compare with your own. I changed the fog light blanks myself, but they were originally the same as yours, although dark grey as standard.
Thanks to Ron240 from:
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 16:41
Supporter

Quote:
This is my car - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery...rst-civic.html

Post 5 suggests it is the GP kit although not being an expert I am open to opinions!
After looking at these photos.......it is as i thought - definitely the image pack that has the remaining grey trim fully colour coded.
It is perfectly possible(even likely)that the image pack was fitted from new, but i suspect thecolour coding was done later.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 16:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron240 View Post
After looking at these photos.......it is as i thought - definitely the image pack that has the remaining grey trim fully colour coded.
I assume you mean that the image pack and Grand Prix pack are the same thing?? I had the car fully colour coded by the dealer before i'd buy it although they did go a bit OTT and coded the fog light blanks and all grills etc - think i'm happy with it though. The only thing they didn't do was the mud flaps.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 16:44
Supporter

Quote:
I had the car fully colour coded by the dealer before i'd buy it although they did go a bit OTT and coded the fog light blanks and all grills etc
There you go then, thats what i thought, and yes they did a bit.
For insurance purposes, you have (factory fitted?) Honda Image Pack, then the remaining lower trim has been colour coded.
Its up to you whether you tell the insurance your car has the image pack, but you really should tell them about the colour coding.

Last edited by Ron240; 11th April 2012 at 17:09.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 17:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron240 View Post
There you go then, thats what i thought, and yes they did a bit.
For insurance purposes, you have (factory fitted?) Honda Image Pack, then the remaining lower trim has been colour coded.
Its up to you whether you tell the insurance your car has the image pack, but you really should tell them about the colour coding.
I've just got off the phone to Stan Palmer Honda who I bought the car off and they say it would of been factory fitted before the car was first sold as new. They also said the model of my car is in fact an SE+, I see from your pic that is also the model of your's. Do you know of the differences between SE and SE+?

Having Googled it, it seems the SE+ only comes in 1.4 petrol which would suggest mine is only an SE with the image pack seeing as it is the 2.2 CDTI - confusing to say the least

Last edited by awesome123; 11th April 2012 at 17:38.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 17:49
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Quote:
I assume you mean that the image pack and Grand Prix pack are the same thing??
They aren't
In fact they're very different

The image pack is a set of plastic add on pieces to 'beef' up the 5door
The GP kit it a different set of bumpers that fit the CTR arches
- I tried to demostrate this with my links above
Thanks to Scotty182 from:
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 18:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty182 View Post
They aren't
In fact they're very different

The image pack is a set of plastic add on pieces to 'beef' up the 5door
The GP kit it a different set of bumpers that fit the CTR arches
- I tried to demostrate this with my links above
Indeed you did, and thankyou, my mistake. So to summerise (I think!) I have the 2.2 SE 5dr with a factory fitted Honda Image Pack and colour coded trim. I shall phone Renew in the morning. Unless the colour coding has any affect on premiums then it seems that being honest and common sense have won the day!

Anyone wanting to throw a spanner in the works please feel free!!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 18:24
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Quote:
So to summerise (I think!) I have the 2.2 SE 5dr with a factory fitted Honda Image Pack and colour coded trim. I shall phone Renew in the morning. Unless the colour coding has any affect on premiums then it seems that being honest and common sense have won the day!
Bang on mate tell them this ^ and they shouldn't have an issue, argue with them until they understand
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 20:35

Car: 2013 1.8 Crystal Black EX
Quote:
Indeed you did, and thankyou, my mistake. So to summerise (I think!) I have the 2.2 SE 5dr with a factory fitted Honda Image Pack and colour coded trim. I shall phone Renew in the morning. Unless the colour coding has any affect on premiums then it seems that being honest and common sense have won the day!

Anyone wanting to throw a spanner in the works please feel free!!
Nope, you've got it right.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 20:41
Supporter

The plus side about specifying to your insurance that it has the image pack, is that in the unfortunate event of a claim involving damage to any part it, it will be replaced like for like.
This is because there may not be any official record of the image pack being factory fitted to your car. This could be because it was added at a dealers request.
As for the colour coding that you had done....from what you said in your first post i get the feeling that your present insurance company may not be willing to cover the cost of that.
I can think of a few options for what they might say, so i will be interested to hear what they actually do say after you explain everything to them.
Please let us know.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page