2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Is this usual?

5K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Ron240 
#1 ·
Just bought a Private registration
Having never involved myself in these things before..Its been fairly smooth
BUT
I contacted 'The Post Office' with whom, I'm insured with and they have charged me £20 to update the change of registration on their records
Is this usual?
Have I been fleeced? :confused:

#5 ·
I had a £25 'admin fee' when I changed jobs. I argued it was a rip off when all they do is change it on their computers and takes less than a minute. I tried complaining and speaking to a manager however still had to pay it.
I am really starting to get wound up by these sorts of things nowadays, must be turning into my dad :(

#23 ·
to be totally honest you're talking to a guy / girl at the other end of the phone...it wont make any difference to them personally if you threaten to go else where.

i work for e-sure and my work charge £26 for admin fee - such as change of reg, address, vehicle, adding temp driver etc etc. no charge though for updating occupation etc - we were told in training that it was due to the company having to re-issue documents and this is what it costs when its updated on system, new docs printed, persons time etc (not saying for 1 min i agree with it though)

#11 ·
Yeah its one of those annoying things, its as bad as bank charges whereby the work done to facilitate this "admin fee" is nowhere near relative to what they charge. Im with aviva to, after 9 years with admiral, so far havent had to use them for anything, but as its all online it says that changes wont incur an admin fee if i do them myself online, but if i ring them its about £25. This is just the admin charge though, so any modifications to the car would probably incur a charge

#12 ·
I would have expected a small 'admin fee' and £20 for an insurance company is quite reasonable IMO.

#19 ·
In this situation i always ask them to waive it, if they dont then i ask to speak to their manager etc etc, keep going up the chain untill someone does waive it.

Had a similar thing with RyanAir, the 'e' had been missed off the end of my mates name on the booking, so i called up to make the change (they always say it must match the passport etc), they wanted £95 to make the ammendment!!! Had to go up 2 chains of command before it was waived, the most ridicleous part was that if i just rebooked the flight it would have only cost me...£95....so they were basically trying to get me to buy another seat!!

#20 ·
My insurance tried to charge me last year when my plate was going through the transfer from my old car to my CTR but i told them before i insured it that id be doing it and they said they must have "lost the note" hmmm yer. They did waver the admin fee in the end

#21 ·
Says in my policy with brentacre any admin which requires them to reissue the certificate would be subject to a £20 admin fee.

I assume they have to issue a new certificate for a plate change?

#22 ·
Most of my recent insurers have been online (including my latest - a subsidiary of Aviva), no charge for changes made by myself online but not sure if this includes a reg change, I have had a private reg for years and never had a problem even though I have sometimes changed cars mid year, that said they could have hidden the fee in the premium difference.

#24 ·
Update:
The Post Office sent me an eMail asking me to rate their service
Needless to say..I didnt hold back!!
Dear Sir/Madam,
Regarding your most recent experience dealing with Post Office Car insurance, we'd like to invite you to take part in our Customer Experience survey.
It will only take a couple of minutes to complete. The responses will only be used to help improve our service, and in some cases we may choose to respond to your comments.
Please click HERE to access the survey

#30 ·
It is absolutely not right, because the actual cost does not reflect the price they charge.
Unfortunately the overall majority of them are at it, with only very few exceptions.
I dont care what anybody says......its just an extra way of extracting money out of the customer, the same as "arrangement" fees and "option to purchase" fees when taking out any kind of loan.
There was a time when all of these fees simply did not exist, but it only took one company to introduce them then they all jumped on the bandwagon. :mad::mad::mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.