Insurance won't cover Glass Roof + Leather? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 13:53 Thread Starter

Insurance won't cover Glass Roof + Leather?

So I'm picking up my new Civic soon, 2.2 EX with Glass Roof and Leather. I rang my insurers (Admiral) to arrange my insurance in advance, and upon stating it had Glass Roof + Leather I was told that these would be considered modifications (fair enough I thought) and that they would NOT be covered by the policy (wha?).

I'm not really sure how it works, but I was told that because not every Civic EX is sold with these options, that if I were to say write off my car, I would get a standard EX worth back (normal roof, cloth interior). This can't be right can it? I tried explaining to them that these were factory options and that this was the car I wanted to insure - not a standard EX. I then told them that most cars have optional leather seats as a factory option and asked them if they never covered this, and I was told that was correct!

Is this sounding wrong to anyone else? Am I just confused? What if my Glass Roof was damaged one day? They wouldn't pay to repair it? (I was told they would replace the glass roof with a normal one - I'd like to see them try!)

I've asked the person on the phone to get their manager to give me a ring back to confirm this. Anybody run into this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 14:05
Supporter

Ring around or get an online quote with someone else. As you know, normally it's just a case of giving the engine size and model type.

Probably the Admiral operator just got confused when you threw in the leather and glass roof bit, couldn't find the relevant field on their system and then took it upon themselves to declare it a "modification".
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 14:17

I think I have the same problem with my storms - I have to tell them, so they can charge me more, but should they be damaged in an accident they would be replaced with standard wheels - 17s.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 14:53

It's all about risk, and the insurer must see the glass roof and leather as increasing the risk to the vehicle (more tempting to a thief).

Some insurers don't take on the extra risk, others will, so shop around.

This is why I always tell people to make sure the insurer know EVERYTHING about the car. Remember it is up to them if they want to refuse you claim later, if you did not tell them everything, even if they did not ask, it will be you who looses out not them.

In another thread there was a driver who decided not to tell the insurer about leather, footwell lights, etc. If he tries to claim and the insurer find out about the omissions then they could cancel the insurance on the vehicle.

I do think that the insurer you are dealing with is not assessing the factory fix extras correctly though. They should be able to add 'extras' without them being seen as 'modifications', but that may be the way this insurer keeps down their costs.

Ian
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfboy View Post
I think I have the same problem with my storms - I have to tell them, so they can charge me more, but should they be damaged in an accident they would be replaced with standard wheels - 17s.
If you are paying extra for the Storms then they should be covered, otherwise what is the point of the extra premium?

I had different alloys on my Beetle and the only change to my policy was that I had a 300 excess instead of a 50. I thought that was OK until they told me that it applied to the whole car and not just the wheels. They try to rip you off at every opportunity. So because I had different wheels, if someone hit my car in a car park and did no damage to the wheels I would still have 300 to pay, even though it was not related to the wheels, what a rip off!

We are at the mercy of insurance companies, we have to be insured, but they abuse that and make sure they rip us off.

Ian
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 15:37
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
These insurance companies are now fighting to be the cheapest on the market. They seem to be cutting corners everywhere.

Go elsewhere.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 16:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Supervisor from Admiral rang me back to confirm things - Glass Roof and Leather are considered modifications, Honda supplied or not, and only standard EX is covered. If the Glass Roof or Leather were ever damaged, regardless of blame, I would have to cover them myself.

I then asked if stating these 'modifications' raised the premium, and I was told that it did. D: Asking why was told it made the vehicle more attractive to thieves...despite the fact they would not cover these items...rip off.

So then asked if I should lower the market value of the car since I included the factory options when I valued it. I was told no, that the market value including the options was the value I needed. So I asked if they would pay out for an EX with leather and glass roof's value if it was, for example, stolen. Again told no, that the market value would be appraised from standard EX's value at the time, with no options.

I was pretty dumbfounded by all of this 'pay for it but we won't cover it' ******** they were giving me but I decided to take the policy because it is a suspended policy I already had with them from my previous car, and it ends in April anyway (I need that no-claims, only have 2, am 21). You can bet I won't be renewing with them though, useless morons.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th September 2007, 17:26
Supporter

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
barrel, over. end of.

just be extra careful until April, then run

goes to show that it's worth asking the question though
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 15:20

Send a message via MSN to mmw109
When I was buying my EX I found several websites / Insurer's databases where the Glass and Leather options weren't listed, but I just assumed this was because Honda had changed their options and the websites were just behind (orignally the glass roof wasn't available on EX - only on ES I think).

I would have thought it would be sorted by now. I wonder if I should check with my insurer.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page