Looking to buy 2.2 diesel sport - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 00:32 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 09 CW FN2 CTR
Send a message via Skype™ to pietka
Question Looking to buy 2.2 diesel sport

Hi i am looking to buy a 2.2 diesel and i am just 17 years old and insurance cost over 4000 pounds. Do u know any way to get it cheaper????
I heard somthing that if my dad gets an insurance and writs me like a second driver its going to be cheaper... is it true?? any suggestion to reduce the cost??
Sory for bad english
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 08:07
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
I know how to get it cheaper.
Drive a small group 1 car.
Build up your no claims.
When youre a big boy, you will get cheaper insurance.
Quite simple really.
Sorry to put it so frankly, but thats the reality of being a new driver these days
Call it being on probation if you like.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 09:32

You need to be careful about using your fathers insurance in that way. If the insurance company get wind that you are the main driver of the car and yet it is insured in his name you could invalidate the whole policy, which might be very expensive if you are trying to claim after an accident.
Although robbo51 has put it very bluntly, I have to agree with him. Lower your sights for a few years, build up a no claims bonus and then try again. Failing that go for a 1.4 Civic and see what the insurance is like for that.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 10:07

Car: 2007 2.2 CTDI Sport
I think Direct Line have a policy now where you can go on as a named driver but get your own No claims.

Personally though I would have to say you're crazy if you're buying *any* new car as a first car let alone a 17 grand one with a lot of performance. It's a recipe for disaster...

For the cost of insuring a 2.2 civic you could get a decent 2nd hand fiesta/focus/306/Rover 25/VW Polo the list goes on and insure it aswell. Use it to get some knocks and scrapes (which you will!!! ) and then get yourself what you really want 2-3 years down the line.

But of course if you're absolutely loaded and can afford to spend >7k a year on insurance, maintenance, fuel and depreciation then go for it

Last edited by andrewuk; 25th September 2007 at 10:09.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 15:14 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for your opinion. But the thing is that if i get now used car and i build up my NCB my parents not going to buy me a new car after 3 years. They want to buy a car now and they dont care new one or used couse they have a budget around 20000 pounds. And i need to find out the cheapest way for insurance.
Sory for bad English
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 18:50

Hope I don't sound like an old codger (no offence to any old codgers reading)

Your parents baffle me if it's an urge to blow 20,000 and put a vastly inexperienced driver behind the wheel of a fairly high performance car..........but they are your parents and who am I to offer judgement. I wish you good health in whatever you end up driving.

Crazy to even think of paying 4000 for insurance........sheer lunacy in my opinion.

Like others on here I can only feel you'd be so much better buying something that you can afford insurance on........makes so much more sense!!

I know not all young drivers end up having accidents and it's so easy to suggest that's the case...........so I hope you end up with a car you'll enjoy driving.

Last edited by PJdali; 25th September 2007 at 20:00. Reason: misread original post
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 19:51
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietka View Post
Thanks for your opinion. But the thing is that if i get now used car and i build up my NCB my parents not going to buy me a new car after 3 years. They want to buy a car now and they dont care new one or used couse they have a budget around 20000 pounds. And i need to find out the cheapest way for insurance.
Sory for bad English
Get a new car then, but get one with a low insurance group and bank the remainder from the 20,000
Its rediculous to pay this much insurance. After 4 or 5 years get a Civic then, when your 'no claims' is better AND your much older.
It make so much more sense.
It may help you to value money too.
Clearly your parents need a lesson also!!!
Sory for bad news!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 20:28 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

why its have to be so hard?? why the insurance can't cost 200 pounds like in my country. now i need to think a lot what i am going to do...
Anyway thenx for opinion
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 20:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

but one more thing. for low insurance car its still going to cost around 2,500 pounds and its for a crapy car...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 20:41
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
It's not worth it pietka.

I'm 22, been driving since 18 and the insurance on my 2.2 is still £1400.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 20:52

Get a fiesta or similar for a few hundred pounds, insure it third party fire and theft and salt the rest of the money away in a high earning interest account.
You could afford to buy yourself a replacement every couple of years until you have a decent no claims bonus and reach an age when you are no longer considered to be a massive risk.
If I remember correctly insurance companies reduce the premiums at 21 and 24/25 years as this is when they reckon 'boy racers' mature and are no longer a liability.
As for £200 insurance that is a non starter. I am mid 50's, full no claims bonus, no claims for many years and I am paying almost £400 for my 2.2.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 23:36
Supporter

Quote:
I heard somthing that if my dad gets an insurance and writs me like a second driver its going to be cheaper... is it true?? any suggestion to reduce the cost??
That is called fronting and isn't allowed, the insurance company will cancel the policy if they think you're doing that.

Get a sensible car until you're 21, if you want a civ get a 1.4 as the insurance should be loads lower...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th September 2007, 23:37
Supporter

Quote:
but one more thing. for low insurance car its still going to cost around 2,500 pounds and its for a crapy car...
The major risk isn't the car your driving, it's the chance that you hit and write off a merc/bmw/porsche etc or that you injure someone and the insurance company have to pay them. The risk is for the third party....
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 00:13
Supporter

I'm selling my old fiesta I've built up (almost) 3 years no claims, I am getting quotes now for about £700 for the Type-S GT 2.2

My Fiesta is in Insurance group 6, and cost me when I was 18, just under £2k fully comp, I had to pay it monthly at a ridculous APR (24&#37 which made it just over 2k (was still cheaper in total than the next cheapest quote) (Priviledge)

Year 2 on the fiesta, the insurance was just £800 (Norwich Union), and year 3 £680. (Prudential)

P.S. I'm 21, male, no convictions blah blah.

Last edited by smeg9; 26th September 2007 at 00:14. Reason: Added the last line (forgot my age)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 01:21 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

but the thing is if i get the fiesta the cheapest insurance for me is 2,500 over couse i am not a long time resident in U.K. civic one grand more do you think that civic is not worth extra grand ??? i fink that theris no point to buy some crapy car for few hundred pounds and pay 10 time more insurance than car cost, and put loads of money in the car when its broke. Need to think siriously about this and thenks for your opinion. but the question still is "is there any way to get the cheaper insurance??" couse i heard some things that u can do extra lessons with your instructor and insurance going to be cheaper. do u know any thing like that???

Last edited by pietka; 26th September 2007 at 01:23.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 01:53
Supporter

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
pietka

first up - welcome aboard

as to insurance:
Do NOT, whatever you do, lie, mislead or otherwise mis-inform your insurance company. This includes things like insuring the car in your Dad's name when it is in reality, your car. It's just NOT worth the risk, not to mention illegal (as you will be in effect, driving without insurance).

As to legal ways to reduce your insurance cost -
the most obvious ones have been mentioned above:
Get and older / less powerful car, or wait until you are older

But obviously the lure of a free £20K car is sitting there in front of you...
(though - who gets to pay the insurance next year?...)

So. Other things you can do:
Move. Or move out, if you're still living at home. Living in a different area can make a drastic difference to your incurance premium. Though obviously this isn't a cheap or easy option.

Park your car in a locked garage at night. Though again, not easy unless you get get your parents to move theirs out. For goodness sake DON'T tell the insurance co that it's parked in a garage unless it really is though.

Pass an Advanced Drivers course (such as IAM). Unfortunately this is also not easy, as not only is it rather difficult to pass, but it also takes some months (from memory) and isn't cheap in itself. And in reality it probably won't make much difference to the price of the insurance.

Go for a (very) limited mileage insurance. The idea is that if you only do (say) 6,000 miles per year, you are less likely to have an accidenr that if you do (say) 30,000 miles per year. Again, there is a down side - you can only do the 6,000 miles per year.

In short, I'm afraid you're in the same boat as every other 17 year old - stuffed.

But hey - if your parents are willing to pay £10 per day just to simply have an insured Civic sitting on the drive, then who am I to say that is wrong?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 01:55
Supporter

civic insurance...

Hi P... I bought a civic 2.2 sport last month and paid 295.84 for a years protected no claims full comp insurance with Budget insurance.... I am 37 thou with a clean licence and 19 years claim free motoring...

Buy yourself a wee older civic and trick it up abit then when you pass the 25yr mark buy a new civic which by that time will be an update of mine...

Good luck....
------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 i-CTDI CIVIC SPORT ALABASTER SILVER, CIVI INFO STICKER AND ULTRA WHITE LED's, BLUE INTERIOR LIGHTS.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 05:25 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
pietka

first up - welcome aboard

as to insurance:
Do NOT, whatever you do, lie, mislead or otherwise mis-inform your insurance company. This includes things like insuring the car in your Dad's name when it is in reality, your car. It's just NOT worth the risk, not to mention illegal (as you will be in effect, driving without insurance).

As to legal ways to reduce your insurance cost -
the most obvious ones have been mentioned above:
Get and older / less powerful car, or wait until you are older

But obviously the lure of a free 20K car is sitting there in front of you...
(though - who gets to pay the insurance next year?...)

So. Other things you can do:
Move. Or move out, if you're still living at home. Living in a different area can make a drastic difference to your incurance premium. Though obviously this isn't a cheap or easy option.

Park your car in a locked garage at night. Though again, not easy unless you get get your parents to move theirs out. For goodness sake DON'T tell the insurance co that it's parked in a garage unless it really is though.

Pass an Advanced Drivers course (such as IAM). Unfortunately this is also not easy, as not only is it rather difficult to pass, but it also takes some months (from memory) and isn't cheap in itself. And in reality it probably won't make much difference to the price of the insurance.

Go for a (very) limited mileage insurance. The idea is that if you only do (say) 6,000 miles per year, you are less likely to have an accidenr that if you do (say) 30,000 miles per year. Again, there is a down side - you can only do the 6,000 miles per year.

In short, I'm afraid you're in the same boat as every other 17 year old - stuffed.

But hey - if your parents are willing to pay 10 per day just to simply have an insured Civic sitting on the drive, then who am I to say that is wrong?
Thenx TTDegs
The car is going to be kept in garage and i am looking to do around 7-8k miles. Need to do big talk with my parents after they comes back from holidays and its looks like my parents wants the car more than me couse my mum dont even have a driving license and my dad license like 30 years old from SSSR and i dont know is it still walid couse my dad dont like to drive and never had a car . And this forum is so great i like it very much (this is one of the reasons why i want civic )
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 10:02
Supporter

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
sounds to me like they are buying a taxi service

I would have to guess that your Dad's driving license is no longer valid, depending on how long he has been over here.
Seem to recall that you can drive in the UK on a non-UK license for up to a year (but this is from memory, so I'm not sure!)
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th September 2007, 14:14

If its an EU license you no longer have to exchange it after the 12 month period.

Although I would say it would be dodgy if you no longer had access to the address your license is registered to in the 1st place.

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page