Insurance - Swapping cars. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st March 2013, 16:49 Thread Starter

Car: Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Insurance - Swapping cars.

Hey guys,

So, I've been looking into getting a new car to replace the R. I've been looking at the BMW 645, 333BHP N/A engine.

Now I've obviously been looking at running costs & insurance quotes & managed to get a quote at £736! (Fully comp, age 25)

Just rang up my insurance (Green light) to see how much it would cost for me to go from the Type R to a BMW 645.. turns out they will not let me change. They said the car is too high power RWD for them to insure me coming from a FWD 200bhp car. (I've had 2 RWD cars before, but not this kind of power!)

So, i have to now wait till the end of my policy before i can change cars, or i loose my NCB!

So my options are..
Wait until the end of May, claim my NCB, start a new policy with someone who will insure me on the BMW & then either trade my car in against it. Get the insurance to swap on the day i pick the new car up. (Can you leave an insurance policy running even with no car? If i told them i've sold the car..? Not sure.)

Or

I start a new policy with Green light or someone else. Try and sell the car privately ASAP. Once sold, cancel the insurance policy, get a refund for the remainder of the time left. Then go look for a BMW, buy it & get a fresh insurance with that.

Is there anything else i can do in this situation to make it easier? Or do i have to pick between one of the 2 options?

Kind of disappointed that green light will not insure me on one of these cars! Seems daft when other insurance will insure me on it regardless of my car history for what i consider a great price.

Any advice would be great, thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 00:03
Gary

Car: 2015 white orchid civic
just say your changing vehicle thats what i do, they will change u or they will lose custom
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 08:22
COTM September 2012

Car: 2010 Saphire Blue Type R
I have run a policy a couple of times after I have sold a car but the issue with that is if that car is involved in an accident ect it could cause you a lot of extra work and a major headache, get some insurance quotes for what NCB you have now and what you will have in May, due to the type BMW and your age there might not be a huge difference in cost.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 16:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by geemac View Post
just say your changing vehicle thats what i do, they will change u or they will lose custom

Greenlight will undoubtedly loose my custom anyway in the near future, because even if i take my next policy out with them, i will have to cancel & go elsewhere for the BMW. Everything about green light has been good, apart from this, guy on the phone said if i went RWD, the most they could possibly insure me on would be a car with around 170BHP!!

Be nice to see what [email protected] could do about this, if anything? He has been nothing but helpful to me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 16:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJG80 View Post
I have run a policy a couple of times after I have sold a car but the issue with that is if that car is involved in an accident ect it could cause you a lot of extra work and a major headache, get some insurance quotes for what NCB you have now and what you will have in May, due to the type BMW and your age there might not be a huge difference in cost.

Yeah, the added worry + potential headache would not be worth me keeping a policy open.

I'd be great if i could try selling up now & keep the policy open on a ''Car now sold'' kind of thing, refund me a bit of money & charge me £xx amount to keep it going. Obviously, this kind of thing would only be viable if the car has been insured for say, 3/4 of the year just so people didn't do it for an easy, risk-free NCB.

I think my best bet would be one of the options i said before. Keep the car until insurance is up, insure it & try to sell it. Then cancel when sold. Buy new car & start a new one up.

Cheers guys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 17:55
Supporter

Car: 2014 Aygo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemac View Post
OP has already stated they will not insure the vehicle he is thinking of changing to.
No insurance company HAS to insure a change of vehicle, their choice.
I have changed in the past but normally to a similar vehicle hence why a change of policy is usually easy, but OP is moving to a completely different and more powerful vehicle.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 20:16
Dr. Evil

I think you're probably best leaving it til May, then switching with your renewal. No point losing this years NCB.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 20:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
I think you're probably best leaving it til May, then switching with your renewal. No point losing this years NCB.
Yup, my thoughts exactly.

When i buy my next years car insurance, i hope that it doesn't take me long to sell the car. So i get as much money back on the refund as possible.

Guess i'll be with out my own car for a while in between, but i guess it'll save me some cash.

Just got to hope there will be people who are interested in buying my car as it is!

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page