Gap Insurance - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 00:31 Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Gap Insurance

I just thought I'd share this. I picked my car up three weeks ago. At the time of collection the buisness manager at the dealers offered me Gap Insurance. I must admit I was quite interested but opted to go away and think about it. I was made to feel I was mad not to take it up there and then, but I do like to consider things of this nature at length so said I would get back in touch in a few days. At first the offer was 3 years for 300, I enquired about a one or two year policy, and was offered a two year policy for 250.

Luckily I contacted my current car insurers to swap cover from my old car to my CTR. I enquired about Gap Insurance from them, only to be told that New Car Cover was a standard feature of my policy and meant if my car was written off or stolen and not recovered, then within the first year it would be replaced with another new one. Exactly what the Gap Insurance being offered by the dealers was designed to do, albeit theirs was for two years not one. I was quite happy with my car insurers standard one year cover and decided to not take the Gap Insurance offered by the dealer.

So it may be worth checking with your car insurers before you make any decision about dealer offered Gap Insurance, it could save some money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 08:55
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Yeah, all insurance providers have that cover on fully comp policies on new cars, but you have to read the terms as there is a huge but!

They will replace your car like for like if its written off withing the first year with a brand new car but only if they still make that model! Luckily for us they will be making the Civic for many moons to come.

My neighbour had her Toyota Carolla written off a few months back, she had bought it new and it was 7 months old, so you would think like for like, but no! As toyota do not make the Carolla anymore they then took the market value of the car and dumped a brand new Yaris about 2 months ago on her drive! We all know that the Auris is the replacement to the Carolla but because it wasn't a carolla she couldn't get one. They didn't even give her the option!

So its not as good as it made out to be. Gap is still alright for the next few years afterwards
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 09:03
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Dont forget that dealers are on commission to sell you it.
Just like they are for that paint sealing rip off stuff

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 11:36 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
Yeah, all insurance providers have that cover on fully comp policies on new cars, but you have to read the terms as there is a huge but!

They will replace your car like for like if its written off withing the first year with a brand new car but only if they still make that model! Luckily for us they will be making the Civic for many moons to come.

My neighbour had her Toyota Carolla written off a few months back, she had bought it new and it was 7 months old, so you would think like for like, but no! As toyota do not make the Carolla anymore they then took the market value of the car and dumped a brand new Yaris about 2 months ago on her drive! We all know that the Auris is the replacement to the Carolla but because it wasn't a carolla she couldn't get one. They didn't even give her the option!

So its not as good as it made out to be. Gap is still alright for the next few years afterwards
Yes but the point I was making is that as Civic owners it is worth knowing before you decide to take out Gap Insurance.

Obviously they won't be able to replace your car with a brand new one if there are no brand new ones to be had, but as you say not really a problem for us, is it mate.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:35
Naughty but nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
Yes but the point I was making is that as Civic owners it is worth knowing before you decide to take out Gap Insurance.

Obviously they won't be able to replace your car with a brand new one if there are no brand new ones to be had, but as you say not really a problem for us, is it mate.
No mate its not! Lol!

Plus we would get a new one after a wait! Only problem is we would have to have some HUGE number on it too! lol!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:37 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
No mate its not! Lol!

Plus we would get a new one after a wait! Only problem is we would have to have some HUGE number on it too! lol!
I'd chisel mine off my old one
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:40
Naughty but nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
I'd chisel mine off my old one
That doesn't suprise me! lol!

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page