Gap Insurance - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 00:31 Thread Starter
Administrator
 
Dimplyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24th August 2007
Location: Staffordshire, Cheshire & Shropshire ENGLAND
Posts: 24,216
Thanks: 229
Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Gap Insurance

I just thought I'd share this. I picked my car up three weeks ago. At the time of collection the buisness manager at the dealers offered me Gap Insurance. I must admit I was quite interested but opted to go away and think about it. I was made to feel I was mad not to take it up there and then, but I do like to consider things of this nature at length so said I would get back in touch in a few days. At first the offer was 3 years for 300, I enquired about a one or two year policy, and was offered a two year policy for 250.

Luckily I contacted my current car insurers to swap cover from my old car to my CTR. I enquired about Gap Insurance from them, only to be told that New Car Cover was a standard feature of my policy and meant if my car was written off or stolen and not recovered, then within the first year it would be replaced with another new one. Exactly what the Gap Insurance being offered by the dealers was designed to do, albeit theirs was for two years not one. I was quite happy with my car insurers standard one year cover and decided to not take the Gap Insurance offered by the dealer.

So it may be worth checking with your car insurers before you make any decision about dealer offered Gap Insurance, it could save some money.
Dimplyred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 08:55
Naughty but nice
 
angie4m's Avatar
 
Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Join Date: 28th September 2007
Location: Edinburgh SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,134
Thanks: 49
Thanked 103 Times in 102 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Yeah, all insurance providers have that cover on fully comp policies on new cars, but you have to read the terms as there is a huge but!

They will replace your car like for like if its written off withing the first year with a brand new car but only if they still make that model! Luckily for us they will be making the Civic for many moons to come.

My neighbour had her Toyota Carolla written off a few months back, she had bought it new and it was 7 months old, so you would think like for like, but no! As toyota do not make the Carolla anymore they then took the market value of the car and dumped a brand new Yaris about 2 months ago on her drive! We all know that the Auris is the replacement to the Carolla but because it wasn't a carolla she couldn't get one. They didn't even give her the option!

So its not as good as it made out to be. Gap is still alright for the next few years afterwards
angie4m is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 09:03
Supporter
 
Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Join Date: 1st July 2007
Location: GB GB
Posts: 15,644
Thanks: 1,166
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
iTrader: (8)
Dont forget that dealers are on commission to sell you it.
Just like they are for that paint sealing rip off stuff
robbo51 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 11:36 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **
 
Dimplyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24th August 2007
Location: Staffordshire, Cheshire & Shropshire ENGLAND
Posts: 24,216
Thanks: 229
Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
Yeah, all insurance providers have that cover on fully comp policies on new cars, but you have to read the terms as there is a huge but!

They will replace your car like for like if its written off withing the first year with a brand new car but only if they still make that model! Luckily for us they will be making the Civic for many moons to come.

My neighbour had her Toyota Carolla written off a few months back, she had bought it new and it was 7 months old, so you would think like for like, but no! As toyota do not make the Carolla anymore they then took the market value of the car and dumped a brand new Yaris about 2 months ago on her drive! We all know that the Auris is the replacement to the Carolla but because it wasn't a carolla she couldn't get one. They didn't even give her the option!

So its not as good as it made out to be. Gap is still alright for the next few years afterwards
Yes but the point I was making is that as Civic owners it is worth knowing before you decide to take out Gap Insurance.

Obviously they won't be able to replace your car with a brand new one if there are no brand new ones to be had, but as you say not really a problem for us, is it mate.
Dimplyred is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:35
Naughty but nice
 
angie4m's Avatar
 
Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Join Date: 28th September 2007
Location: Edinburgh SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,134
Thanks: 49
Thanked 103 Times in 102 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
Yes but the point I was making is that as Civic owners it is worth knowing before you decide to take out Gap Insurance.

Obviously they won't be able to replace your car with a brand new one if there are no brand new ones to be had, but as you say not really a problem for us, is it mate.
No mate its not! Lol!

Plus we would get a new one after a wait! Only problem is we would have to have some HUGE number on it too! lol!
angie4m is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:37 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **
 
Dimplyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24th August 2007
Location: Staffordshire, Cheshire & Shropshire ENGLAND
Posts: 24,216
Thanks: 229
Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
No mate its not! Lol!

Plus we would get a new one after a wait! Only problem is we would have to have some HUGE number on it too! lol!
I'd chisel mine off my old one
Dimplyred is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:40
Naughty but nice
 
angie4m's Avatar
 
Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Join Date: 28th September 2007
Location: Edinburgh SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,134
Thanks: 49
Thanked 103 Times in 102 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
I'd chisel mine off my old one
That doesn't suprise me! lol!
angie4m is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GAP Insurance ? RichRob Insurance 13 18th December 2009 18:35
Insurance WonkySights Insurance 119 9th March 2009 20:24
Gap Insurance LNT Insurance 9 6th April 2007 16:49
Insurance Car Insurance rip-off Fedorov Bugs, faults and irritations (8G) 51 4th March 2007 00:12
MMA insurance Jazz Any non Civic chat here please! 6 2nd November 2006 21:15

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome