Gap or RTI - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 11:55 Thread Starter

Gap or RTI

Hi

there seems to be no mention of RTI insurance which to me makes 10 times more sense as it will pay you the money to get to your original invoice price instead of the gap.....

and can be found at 8.25 a month instead of paying 200 pound off straight away...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:04
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
I think folk don't distinguish between the two as independent compaines who provide this insurance put it under the header of GAP insurance.

The back to invoice one makes sense as you would be g'teed to get your car with everything listed on the invoice as it says which would save you forking out the difference between any hike in cost to the car and any accessories that are on it from new to the time of the claim cause the standard GAP insurance only covers the diff between the value at total loss and what you paid for the car.

Ideal for someone like me who got a lot of extras on the car and saved over £1600! In the event of a total loss I would have to pay that amount plus more probably in order to get the same car.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

im not sure they do.........can *** reply and clarify if they do as as I read the post it sounds as they go for normal gap

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:18
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
They are just different levels of cover which all come under the name Gap insurance.
RTI (return to invoice cover) pays you the difference up to the value on your invoice.
VRI (vehicle replacement insurance) will replace your car with a new one even if the list price has gone up since you bought yours. There'e even RTV (return to value insurance) that is available for older cars. Most companies that offer Gap insurance will offer these, and I'm sure several other levels of cover.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb110430 View Post
im not sure they do.........can *** reply and clarify if they do as as I read the post it sounds as they go for normal gap

What is "normal" gap insurance, you just need to choose the level of cover that suits you. Like Angie says if she has got all her accessories listed on her invoice then RTI insurance is the one for her. But if you have just the basic model then you would be better off with VRI insurance as, if the price of your car has increased then with Vehicle replacement insurance you would be better off than with RTI insurance as they will cover the price increase.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 12:23
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb110430 View Post
According to a written conversation between myself and the company I have been looking at taking 'RTI' insurance with they advised me that if I took out normal GAP insurance, this pays the difference between what I paid for the car and what the insurance value is. They advised that if I wanted my car to be replaced like for like with all the extras on it then I would be best going for 'Back to invoice' which would allow me to have a new car excatly the same as the one that had been written off and I wouldn't have to pay anything extra
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 16:29

Just to add my 2's worth on this! I had gap insurance on my last Civic as offered by the local dealer. It was the usual 3 year covers and cost £500. Thankfully I never used it but £500 is alot of cash for somthing you never use or see . The dealer offered it again with my new civic for £400 but a friend of mine bought a focus and got gap for half price from the dealer. I asked for the same thing from honda and was told they could only offer it for £350. Naturally I declined and got RTI cover from click 4 gap at a cost of £205 which includes a £500 inconvenience payment should I need to claim if the car is totalled. Gap or RTI is a must I feel if you buy a new Honda on the PCP/aspirations plan like i did. Each to their own.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 16:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic Fan View Post
Just to add my 2's worth on this! I had gap insurance on my last Civic as offered by the local dealer. It was the usual 3 year covers and cost £500. Thankfully I never used it but £500 is alot of cash for somthing you never use or see . The dealer offered it again with my new civic for £400 but a friend of mine bought a focus and got gap for half price from the dealer. I asked for the same thing from honda and was told they could only offer it for £350. Naturally I declined and got RTI cover from click 4 gap at a cost of £205 which includes a £500 inconvenience payment should I need to claim if the car is totalled. Gap or RTI is a must I feel if you buy a new Honda on the PCP/aspirations plan like i did. Each to their own.
Yes you are correct it is a good idea. Also you are correct that there are cheaper Gap insurance providers out there. You have to be careful about who underwrites these cheaper policies though. A lot are underwritten by companies you have never heard of. click4gap is underwritten by a "Red Sands" a company I have never heard of, not that I'm saying they aren't going to be reliable in the event of a claim. They are based in Gibraltar. Here is the web site address Red Sands Insurance

It's just I would feel better paying a little more for a policy underwritten by someone such as AXA insurance, but as you say each to their own.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 17:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

best one is lombard and thats based on several claims from a broker friend. cost s8.25 a month too
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 18:01
Administrator

Yes that's what a mean. I would feel more comfortable with an insurance company I have heard of.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th November 2007, 23:48

I agree. But like most insurance policies you can pay a fortune for something you may never (touch wood) need or use. I tried to balance the cost with a product that would give me adequate cover in the event of a total loss. I notice that they advertise on this very site so take some comfort in that. Preferably I would recommend Honda products as the first choice every time but I do feel that they are rather expensive in some respects. How much of the cost is actually commission to the dealers is a matter of research but I bet itís a fair chunk. Some would argue that you get what you pay for and I would agree without question. I only hope to god I donít end up finding out the hard way.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th November 2007, 04:24

Some RTI GAPs do not cover dealer accessories - some do offer cover on these but there are restrictions.

I just purchased a RTI from Surf and Protect. They are promising to undercut similar deals from competitors by £5.
In the end, I paid £244 for 4yr cover with £10k cover limit (gave them the £249 price offered by Shortfallcover).

Haven't tried it myself, but I'd imagine they would also undercut Shortfallcover's 3yr with £10k cover by the same amount - so that would be £125 if you opt for 3 years.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th November 2007, 12:45

Thumbs up

This tinternet thingy is quite useful. Bargains aplenty if you look!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th November 2007, 21:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic Fan View Post
I agree. But like most insurance policies you can pay a fortune for something you may never (touch wood) need or use. I tried to balance the cost with a product that would give me adequate cover in the event of a total loss. I notice that they advertise on this very site so take some comfort in that. Preferably I would recommend Honda products as the first choice every time but I do feel that they are rather expensive in some respects. How much of the cost is actually commission to the dealers is a matter of research but I bet itís a fair chunk. Some would argue that you get what you pay for and I would agree without question. I only hope to god I donít end up finding out the hard way.

If it makes you feel better having it then that's what it's all about.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st November 2007, 13:29

Fo what it's worth some of the cover on the market is underwritten by Hitachi Capital. The cover they offer is £130.00 for 10k cover over 3 years, and is RTI.

Attached is a link:

GAP insurance from HC For You
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2007, 00:24

Thumbs up

Sounds like a bargain. Will keep them in mind when I change the car.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 25th February 2008, 23:56

Have any of you who have posted actually bought Gap insurance for your car?

If so who did you eventually go with? and which one did you buy.

Regards

Civinfo > All Civics > Insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page