Thanks for the welcome, Pottsy - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 8th January 2008, 20:53 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thanks for the welcome, Pottsy

Hi All,

I was delighted to find this forum after taking the plunge and trading in my 5 year old Accord Sport (47,000 miles, new shape) for a new 1.8 Civic ES. The Civic looks to have all the bits I enjoy on the Accord and then some. The wife has been complaining for a while that the Accord sticks out too far when we park it and she'd prefer something smaller. Well, I think I managed that on length of car but perhaps not on width .

I'd like to thank all the contributors who have taught me so much about my prospective new car, from the things to look for on delivery up to the surprise features like the rear window heater having a mind of its own when the weather gets cold.

What really comes on the forum here is that there is a huge and genuine enthusiasm for what is clearly a very popular and much loved car.

On the 'Things that you miss' thread the only thing I wonder if I will miss is the sheer relaxation of driving the smooth and very comfortable Accord, but I look forward to the much improved fuel efficiency, cheaper insurance and lower road tax ! (Even though on my first trip in the Accord I made it from Manchester, UK, all the way to Paris )

Can't wait for delivery day in late January and am sure I'll be able to contribute more once I have 'experienced the pleasure'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 8th January 2008, 21:00
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Welcome!

The Civic sticks out too, but in a different way!

While you wait, check out the Wiki section for even more info on your new car.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 09:29
Supporter

Welcome "sally traffic" I hope you enjoy your car when it comes as much as we all do.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 09:40
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Be Welcome !

Please onxce you've driven your car for some times could you post a review of a comparison between the Accord and your new ride ?

As written by FWH use the Wiki to found infos on your ride and once you've been "acclimated" to your new spaceship dont forget to fill up the different survey's
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 11:01
Supporter

Welcome to the spaceship club.I`m sure you will find that when you take delivery that the joy of motoring and driving will come back as it has for so many of us.
ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 18:55 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. It is most appreciated and makes me so much happier about the prospect of kissing goodbye to the Accord ! I do get rather 'attached'

After reading the wiki avidly I remain a little confused as to the 'running in ' tips. It seems that the 100-200 miles of hard acceleration and hard deceleration would be best achieved on a motorway ring road in the dead of night for safety purposes, but the advice is to steer clear of motorways for the first while. And how continuous is the acceleration/deceleration supposed to be ? Hard to quantify, I guess. It certainly reads as if this is something well worth attempting as any benefits accrued would last for the life of the car. Any thoughts or advice, anyone ? Has anyone actually tried this and how did they achieve it. I think I have searched as much as I can on this topic and am still a little hazy.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 19:01 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

And as a postscript ! I just read I-Noel's post...

Yes indeed, I will be very happy to make comments regarding the change from the Accord and will certainly be filling in every survey I can get hold of. I can see what a huge benefit these are as I have learned so much here even before I get the car. You know, I really think a car manufacturer, or more probably the dealer, should supply a manual for the car if there is to be a delay in delivery of any kind. How much better it would be to be able to thoroughly read and absorb the manual BEFORE setting out in the car. Surely that would be a good safety strategy because I still remember so many times hunting for a switch or control when in a new car ! That cant be too good if it can be prepared for and avoided !
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 19:39
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallytraffic View Post
After reading the wiki avidly I remain a little confused as to the 'running in ' tips. It seems that the 100-200 miles of hard acceleration and hard deceleration would be best achieved on a motorway ring road in the dead of night for safety purposes, but the advice is to steer clear of motorways for the first while. And how continuous is the acceleration/deceleration supposed to be ?
The point of steering clear of motorways is to avoid long constant revs which is what you generally get when driving normally on a motorway.

If you follow the acceleration / engine brake instructions, it does not really matter what type of road you are doing it on as long as it is safe.

I used empty country roads at night.

I accelerated up to around 80 km/h and the engine braked down to around 20 km/h, the accelerated again.
As continous as possible with regard to surroundings.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th January 2008, 22:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks FWH, that makes a lot more sense now. A quick calculation on those speeds suggests that this may take some time and doing it all in one go may not be possible. Still, so long as I warm the engine up properly before each occasion I guess I can do it in stages without too much difference to the overall effect.

I suspect I shall be making up a nice mp3 cd for the occasion
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 13th January 2008, 13:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Okay, a week gone since the order and I am getting twitchy <sigh>. Got the insurance changed for the new car but they quoted the start time of the cover as the time I was due to pick up the car and I was not too sure if that would be ok for taxing it before I went to collect. So I went into the dealership to ask, first shock: The salesman with whom I made the deal had left: It is only 7 days and he said nothing about that last week, he made arrangements to stay late on the delivery date too. I was pretty sure the 3 hours I kept making him drop the price (or rather to increase the ridiculous offer they made on my 5 year old Accord) then to make them take off the cost of the 'metallic or pearalescent' paint, then the old floor mats.. etc..etc.. well, I knew I was trying to do my best but do you think I cost him his job ??? I suppose that if I did, I got the best deal I could so.. Anyway... The car has not yet been moved from its current location at another dealership so have not seen it yet (NHB 1.8ES) but there was a silver one in the showroom <sigh> I hope the NHB looks as darned good as that one does ! As soon as my car arrives I can ask them for the manual so I can get prepared. I have run out of the number of times I can read the brochure and I think I have now read the vast majority of posts in the vast majority of threads.. what do I do NOW ??? !!!

Posting was one of my few remaining options

10 more days.

Still not sure whether or not to go for the space saver spare. I used that twice in the last year on the Accord, on one of the two occasions the gunk would have been useless as the tyre shredded largely due to the fact that the setup of the Accord was so good I was hardly aware of the problem until it was pretty much a jigsaw. The drive was unaffected but I have to admit that there was a bit of a funny noise

Anyone got a time machine add-on to their starship that I can borrow ?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 13th January 2008, 16:16
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
do you think I cost him his job ???
No.

Quote:
Still not sure whether or not to go for the space saver spare. I used that twice in the last year on the Accord, on one of the two occasions the gunk would have been useless as the tyre shredded
If I was getting two punctures a year, I would go for it.

Quote:
Anyone got a time machine add-on to their starship that I can borrow ?
No, I am keeping mine for myself..

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 13th January 2008, 20:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
No.
OK, <guilt mode off>

Quote:
If I was getting two punctures a year, I would go for it.
I think I will.

Quote:
No, I am keeping mine for myself..
Shame <sigh>
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2008, 23:21 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well, the day has come : I picked up my car this evening and drove off the forecourt around 5pm. Home to refuel myself and say a quick 'hello' on the chatbox.

Then off to do the run-in work. I was concentrating on the phrase from the Wiki that said if you could do 100 miles of acceleration/deceleration..well, I quote...

"Warm the engine up gently, then go for a normal drive accelerating hard (but not necessarily up to very high revs) and then let the car slow down with the engine winding down. If you can do this by going for a fun 100 mile drive as your first drive, then you've really cracked it. The car will sound rough and "tight" (ie no power because the seal is poor) for the first few miles, but as the seals get better then the car will feel better."

That is pretty much what I did, unaccustomed as I am to hard acceleration.. and GOOD GRIEF !!

I went from Manchester to Southport and back having ditched my idea to drive round the M60 until I got to 100 miles or so. The traffic was far too busy to be slowing on the gears, I did not want a rear end shunt. The car had 15 miles on it at 5pm and has 130 now, pretty much the whole trip was accelerating and decelerating, the East Lancs has so many lights and roundabouts that it was not a problem, quite sparse traffic too, that helped.

There was a noticeable change in engine note, (or I got used to it ?), on the acceleration phases as time went on. The biggest difference came after a half hour stop at the Mother-in-Law's and rewarming the engine before the return trip. I kept the revs below 5000 (although 'momentum' of the needle seemed to edge it over on occasions as I changed gear ). I used 2nd gear to accelerate from about 25mph to 45mph (5000 revs) and that seemed very fast to me as a seasoned and sedate driver of an Accord ! Then I used 3rd from 45 to 65 mph (again 5000), not as sharp an acceleration as 25 to 45 but still impressive. I rather suspect the kick in the back at about 42mph in 2nd may have been the vtec kicking in, how do you know, is it just that kick ? Anyway the trip back had some very interesting phases, one small road had a bend and a wet surface as I was accelerating and possibly the VSA stopped what might have been an understeer on the Accord. The roundabouts on the East Lancs were far too much fun to accelerate around and away from. I like to be able to push a car a little for a while so I know what it can and can't do, then settle to a more sedate driving style on a day to day basis !

The mp3 disc I made worked perfectly and kept me entertained. I feel good and relaxed so that is a relief, I wondered if I might miss the sheer comfort of the Accord, but thus far, excellent. The auto wipers did a brilliant job with variable quantities of rain and there were no nasty surprises form the shocks, well, no unexplained noises at least !

After all that 'crazy' (for me, at least) driving, it claimed I had averaged 31.9 mpg which surprised me quite a bit.

OMG. Am I turning into a boy racer ??? With this car, I just might.

More considered thoughts and hopefully a proper review when I have clocked up a few more miles and got into some more normal driving (although the temptation to continue the sharp acceleration will be hard to avoid!!)

Day one and a great start, I really enjoyed the experience.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 07:47
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
A great review Frank. Now some pictures!!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 07:57
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Yes that's a nice review !

Some of our auto magazine (in France) should take model on you

Have a nice day with your car !
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 07:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Dark when I picked it up, Chris But I nearly got a photo on my run-in drive, although getting a copy in the post a couple of weeks later would have been a bit of a wait, and the quality is always so poor, lol

It was dark, the drive is dark, the car is NHB and it just sits there and 'lurks' Not much to photograph yet ! I'll do one today as a 'before' then I'll see if I can start the 'detailing' when my products arrive and do an 'after'
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 16:19
Supporter

Welcome to the forum ST, have enjoyed reading your review. Once you've settled into your new spaceship you may want to join our merry band on the next meet, we are not to far from you round the M60.
Happy motoring

Sorry Frank just read meetings post, am still catching up mate

Last edited by okehciv; 24th January 2008 at 16:38. Reason: Coz am an idiot !!!!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 17:17 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

No problem I am looking forward to the meet

robbo has been asking for a picture, but dark again when I got home tonight. Nevertheless, I managed a quickie, the quality has more to do with the bad light, it is not actually the paintwork. Please note, TC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18es.jpg (71.5 KB, 83 views)
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 18:03
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review and a great looking car - really black is the best colour!

I know what you mean about becoming a boy racer, though. I really have to watch my speed! BUt sometimes, just sometimes it good to let go!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 24th January 2008, 20:27
Supporter

Enjoyed your review Frank - welcome to the Honda spaceship enthusiasts site. Following your motortune run in will be interesting to see your oil usage or not over the next few thousand miles. No topping up needed = great job

Civinfo > Welcome > Introduce yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page