Possible new owner here - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 13th November 2008, 20:28 Thread Starter

Possible new owner here

Ello folks,

Potential new Honda Civic owner here, and looking for some independant advice, over and above what the salesman will try and feed me. I considered a Mk3 (I think) shape one (2001/2002 year?) about 2 years ago when I was looking for my first car but I really wanted a diesel and they had none in the showroom and I never went back coz the salesmen was a ******. However, I did get a seat inside one and loved how roomy it was, driving position was excellent and visibility all round seemed pretty good. Also quite high up so it'll be easier for my disabled Gran getting in and out.

However, ended up with a cheap Mondeo until I found the money to buy a Focus, but with all the crap I've had to fix on this Mondeo, I'm a bit wary of buying another Ford. I am exploring the possibility of buying a Civic again as I think they're an all round better option and seem to fit the bill.
I need a hatchback, small enough to be nippy around town but big enough to pull a small caravan and feel safe on the motorway, that handles well enough to have a bit of fun, quick enough not to be boring but overall cheaper to fuel and insure than the Mondeo, more reliable and easier to work on. A 2001-onwards Type S (which I looked at before) seems to tick all the boxes bar insurance and the diesel ticks all the boxes bar the speed, but I'm guessing that can be improved?

I'm just about to go and find the correct forum to ask what I should be looking at when looking at Civics, if there's any weak points, what they're like for maintenence, servicing and tuning, etc.
If I like what I hear, I may well be joining you very shortly.
Netti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 13th November 2008, 20:49
Supporter

Hi Netti,

I had a 52 plate Civic Type-S, 2.0 Vtec. It was a good car for beating Golf GTi's, but did need to be revved to get the best out of it. I got 33MPG average. It lacked torque, so I would not expect it to be a very good tow car. Prior to that I had a Mondeo 2.0 which was pretty good and reliable.
I changed to a 2.2 diesel because it suited my driving style. I believe the 2.2 has got a number of awards as a tow car. not having a tow bar means I cannot comment.
There is plenty of info on this site for the things you are looking for, the Search tab at the top is very good.
I hope you find what you are looking for.

Terry
Thanks to terry from:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 13th November 2008, 20:59

The previous gen Civic was very reliable and well built, much more so than the current one. My 2005 model was no trouble at all in the three years I had it.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
Thanks to Wheelchair from:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 13th November 2008, 23:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies folks. Am hoping to visit a dealer tomorrow, or maybe over the weekend to see if I can test drive with a Type S and a diesel version. I actually prefer the interior and general body shape of the previous model versus the current one, as I also had a seat in that and I thought the visibility was appalling.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th November 2008, 00:06
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. Am hoping to visit a dealer tomorrow, or maybe over the weekend to see if I can test drive with a Type S and a diesel version. I actually prefer the interior and general body shape of the previous model versus the current one, as I also had a seat in that and I thought the visibility was appalling.
The diesel in the old version was an old 1.7 GM unit, but in the new one it is a fine modern Honda designed one. The new one also tows a mid sized (1250kg) caravan brilliantly (see left!!)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th November 2008, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential View Post
The one thing I always liked about my previous model was the silver triim on the dash. It was of high quality and looked good. My 2005 facelift SE model had it as standard.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th November 2008, 09:03

I've never done any towing, but I've driven the previous (7th) generation 1.6 Civic occasionally (I had the 6th gen before my current Civic, which I loved) and it is a really excellent car and surprisingly nippy yet happily returned mpg figures in the low 40s. Super reliable, nice to drive, lots of space and you can pick a 3 or 4 year old car with low mileage for around 5000, clearly less if you go older. Whether it has enough pep for towing is another issue. In which case, the 2.0 will definitely have. Basically, if you can find the right engine, it's going to be a great choice!

Courant
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th November 2008, 16:31
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Hi and welcome
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th November 2008, 17:38
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Hi and welcome to civinfo.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th November 2008, 19:01
Supporter

I don't know if your disabled gran will sit in the front or back, but one thing I would say is rear seat passengers often seem to bang their heads on the top of the door frame when getting in/out. So much so that I tell them to watch their heads when getting in! The doors do open nice and wide though (although that's not really consolation if you're nursing a bump on the head ).

I have never found rear visibility a problem personally, though the ride is on the firm side.

I still like my Civic, though its build quality falls far short of my previous (Japanese) Honda. Hence, if you do purchase, make sure you go through the checklist given on this site when picking up!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 15th November 2008, 08:27

He's looking at the previous gen model, so the rear door issue isn't a problem.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th November 2008, 16:08
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
Welcome to the madness, go on you no you want it

Civinfo > Welcome > Introduce yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page