• 1 Post By hondacivicnut
  • 1 Post By Jon_G
  • 1 Post By Thestig1983
  • 3 Post By Thestig1983

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2019, 18:57 Thread Starter

2008 2.2 ictdi problems after new clutch

Hi all im new here so first post

Firstly id like to say the info on here is great and some very knowledgable people on the posts ive read so far

So heres my problem i bought my first honda about 4 months ago its a 2008 2.2 civic type s and i loved it until the clutch went and since then its been a nitemare,after new clutch and flywheel it wouldnt bleed so it then got a new slave cylinder and still the same so got another from honda and it bled enough to get back on road but pedal is still very heavy which i can reluctantly live with for now...

So once i eventually got the car out of the garage with its heavy clutch pedal i headed for the motorway to test it out and found the speedo display goes fine until about 30 mph then just starts reading random numbers and eventually drops to zero (usually just as joining a motorway slip road) and then the car goes crazy and its a lottery if you get it into 5th then goin for 6th ** either gettin 4th or reverse but if ** lucky eventually get the gears ** after but although im able to get the gears my mrs cant and the cars goin mad because at high speeds it thinks its stationary and vice versa,this is also causing engine management light to come on and cars just not performing properly at all the only fault coming up is vehicle speed sensor but this was totally fine before clutch change

Has any of you honda experts experienced this and is it common also what should i be doing to get it repaired?

Apologies for the massive post but had to try and give as much info as possible

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Apologies again for massive post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2019, 20:15
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd normally suggest that you should take the car back to whoever performed the replacement work and complain about the problems, but I'm guessing that you did it yourself?

Clutch can be hard to bleed. Try forcing in the slave rod to compress the cylinder during bleeding, or you may even need to remove the slave, still connected to the hydraulics, and elevate it to help getting the air out.

OEM (LUK) clutch shouldn't be heavy. Or have you fitted something else like an updated clutch/SMF? If OEM was it properly clamped during fitting?

That speedo problem has been previously reported a few times. The spacer that's meant to be fitted to the speed sensor has probably been left off, resulting in the sensor then coming into contact with the speed encoder. If so then you'll need a new spacer and a new sensor.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2019, 22:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd normally suggest that you should take the car back to whoever performed the replacement work and complain about the problems, but I'm guessing that you did it yourself?

Clutch can be hard to bleed. Try forcing in the slave rod to compress the cylinder during bleeding, or you may even need to remove the slave, still connected to the hydraulics, and elevate it to help getting the air out.

OEM (LUK) clutch shouldn't be heavy. Or have you fitted something else like an updated clutch/SMF? If OEM was it properly clamped during fitting?

That speedo problem has been previously reported a few times. The spacer that's meant to be fitted to the speed sensor has probably been left off, resulting in the sensor then coming into contact with the speed encoder. If so then you'll need a new spacer and a new sensor.
Hi thanks for reply im not sure im replyin properly (not very good at tinternet lol)

The car had been in for a while ( 4 days) as they struggled to get it to bleed and when they eventually got it driving i needed it back but my brother works in the garage and there adamant they didnt remove the sensor from the box therefor not likely to loose the spacer although in between busy spells they have been getting it in and trying to resolve the issues but but they are even gettin stumped with it now

It was a honda slave and dmf so assuming the clutch was also honda

I have a new sensor ordered and i will ask them to also try that bleeding method aswell but right now the pedal is very heavy and the gear change is very notchy lol

Thanks for the help i will update *** i get it bak in over weekend

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2019, 22:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

That speedo problem has been previously reported a few times. The spacer that's meant to be fitted to the speed sensor has probably been left off, resulting in the sensor then coming into contact with the speed encoder. If so then you'll need a new spacer and a new sensor.[/QUOTE]

Also does the sensor come with a new spacer or is that a seperate part ? Is there a part number for it
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 08:21
Bye bye Honda...

This thread was where someone had the exact same problem as you with the Speedo. Apparently a 2mm washer is needed.
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/engine...er-washer.html
Thestig1983 likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 09:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Excellent thanks a lot i will check it, i had heard of people having this problem but garage are adamant they didnt remove sensor ( or did he? Lol) i will get a washer to fit with the sensor then update if it works, cheers
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 10:28
Supporter

Car: 8G TypeR
Hope you get it sorted mate ' it will be worth it ! o and welcome
Thestig1983 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 14:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks again yep loved it before all this nonsense happened lol,, 1 more quick thing is the spacer the black rubber kinda o ring that goes round it?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 00:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Or even a picture of the sensor and spacer would be a great help,,i have the sensor but unsure if i have the spacer because im not there while cars in garage, apologies if i sound cryptic but i dont know what/where the spacer is or should go
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 14:05
Clutch pedal guru

It's either that or the sensor has been damaged by the gearbox rolling on it when placed on the floor. Also check the connector is plugged in properly.
Thestig1983 likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 22:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
It's either that or the sensor has been damaged by the gearbox rolling on it when placed on the floor. Also check the connector is plugged in properly.
Thanks for reply,, i had it back at garage on friday and they checked the connector and the wiring which all seems fine,, the sensors getting changed over in next few days so got my fingers crossed it cures the speedo issue atleast lol i will update once ive sourced a part number for the spacer and its changed over ,thanks again
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 22:54
Clutch pedal guru

I wouldn't be sourcing anything mate, it was working before the gearbox came off so it's their problem.
Thestig1983 likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 00:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
I wouldn't be sourcing anything mate, it was working before the gearbox came off so it's their problem.
Very true mate and usually that would be my approach to it also but the job was done basically at mates rates (ive only paid for parts so far) because my brother works there and my dad did for 20 years.. they dont work on many hondas and as ramp time is limited due to how busy they are im trying to get as much info and possible parts needed to hopefully get it in sorted and out in 1 sitting before i become too much of a pest lol,, thanks for reply and i will update this week once the cars hopefully fixed ,cheers
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 23:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quick update, so i got the sensor from a breaker, exact same model same year & engine then waited 2 days for the spacer,,,went to fit it and its a different plug the plug on the loom and old sensor is bigger/wider and it seems that the plug has been been chopped and rejoined,, which brings me to my next question is there 2 different sensors for the 2.2? As i cant work out why the loom would have been cut unless it was to change the plug

Or even worse is it possible that someones put the wrong box in it at some point hence the need to adapt the wiring? Im totally lost with it now

If there is 2 possible sensors does anyone have part numbers for them? Honda say there is only 1 listed for that car

So thats my update no further forward lol can anyone please help me out here ,cheers
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 08:03
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestig1983 View Post
Quick update, so i got the sensor from a breaker, exact same model same year & engine then waited 2 days for the spacer,,,went to fit it and its a different plug the plug on the loom and old sensor is bigger/wider and it seems that the plug has been been chopped and rejoined,, which brings me to my next question is there 2 different sensors for the 2.2? As i cant work out why the loom would have been cut unless it was to change the plug

Or even worse is it possible that someones put the wrong box in it at some point hence the need to adapt the wiring? Im totally lost with it now

If there is 2 possible sensors does anyone have part numbers for them? Honda say there is only 1 listed for that car

So thats my update no further forward lol can anyone please help me out here ,cheers
I don't think anyone will be able to confirm, but i guess it's possible that someone previously fitted a replacement speed sensor from a different Honda?
Thestig1983 likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 11:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
I don't think anyone will be able to confirm, but i guess it's possible that someone previously fitted a replacement speed sensor from a different Honda?
Yep was thinking along those lines myself which is most likely the case,, but on the off chance does anyone know if there was 2 different senors for the civic? Because when i searched on here for part number etc i could see people sayin it was a part made by matsushita and honda have it as a different part by panasonic,,im thinking previous owner may have chopped the plug to suit the matsushita one as its half the price

Apologies for being a pest but im totally lost here lol
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 30th August 2019, 17:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just an update changed the sensor today for the matsushita 1 which was exact same as the 1 that came out of mine and now its even worse dosent even get above 15 mph without going back to zero then jst random numbers on dash,,its driving horrible and jerky through every gear change, steerings terrible hits reverse or 4th instead of 6th so ive officially gave up mrs is refusing to drive it and im not spending anymore time or money on it as its makin me miss my trip to blackpool twice in 2 months 😂😂😂

Anyway jst want to thank you for all the replys and help its a great forum and certainly full of invaluable info and help i will certainly be stayin around even tho ive no car now

Thanks again
Farqui likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 31st August 2019, 18:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Another update So 10 mins after i posted the last post and brought car up road from garage my brother finished work & in a terential rain storm was determined not to be beaten so stripped it off again in the street at his house, and noticed the washer with sensor from breakers was very slightly different to the 1 from honda so we used that and it fitted into the recess (if thats the spelling) on the gearbox then put it bak together not expecting any change and bingo the cars now like a new car speedo works perfect, no jerkyness, steerings bang on and cars like it was *** i bought it and at last minute i made my blackpool trip and the car didnt miss a beat

Thanks again

Case closed 😂😂😂😂
hondacivicnut, Farqui and The_b3st like this.

Civinfo > Welcome > Introduce yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page