Newbie - should I become an owner?! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 11:27 Thread Starter

Newbie - should I become an owner?!

Hi good people - have had a good look at the site and impressed with all the info and advice available here. (Am on a similar site for Yamaha which has been a major help with my bike over the last couple of years).

I'm going to be in the market for a replacement car this autumn and a 3 year-old'ish Civic 2.2 appeared to fit all the criteria til I started reading about the clutch issues - 1200 after 30k miles!!!! - is that for real? I thought Harry Honda stood for reliability and quality.

My opening questions to you that know are - how big is the problem? What %age of vehicles does it affect? Have upgraded parts been made available? Has anybody got data from Honda about registrations v parts sold - which would gauge the scale of the problem. Is it just a few cars but with (quite rightly) very vocal hacked off owners?

Sorry to start with all this but a lot of what i see as response will inform my decision on whether to buy or not.

Here's hoping you persuade me as the car looks and drives really well!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 11:33
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum.

Like all forums people have problems and use the forum as a way of venting their frustrations. For every car that has an issue there will be many more who haven't. Also consider the fact that out of all the Civic owners in the UK only a very small proportion come on these sorts of forums (and some do so only when they have problems looking for a fix). These cars like any on the market can have their known faults however if you buy a car taking the normal precautions e.g low mileage, full history, reputable garage, then you should not have any issues.

Hope that helps.
Thanks to Staffs Deltic from:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 12:04
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Car: V'9 STI
Send a message via MSN to Scotty182
Welcome mate

The clutch issue is a fairly large one IMO, it's well documented, some Dealers accept it others deny it

But tbh it MAINLY becomes an issue when the cars are mapped, although not solely.

Put the car in 4th gear about 1.8K rpm and put your foot down
-If the car revs up from about 2k up to 3k but the car doesn't accelerate in tune with this, the clutch is slipping and i'd avoid the car or ask for a % off the price as help toward fixing costs
-If it accelerates smoothly past 3k rpm and there's no flutuation in the revs then all should be well
Thanks to Scotty182 from:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 12:08
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 ex NHB
Hey, welcome!

My clutch went at 49k, car was 4yrs old, tbh i just think i was unlucky, i only had the car for 6 weeks when it started slipping. Luckily i had a warranty with it and it got fixed without any issues. It didnt put me off the car though. Only advice i can give is if you see one you like, check the history, take it for a long test drive and make sure you get a warranty!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Thanks to pedy from:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 12:17
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS, Tangerine
I've got an 08 plate 2.2 diesel type s and from reading other posts I'm just waiting for my clutch to start slipping lol it's done 37k miles and it's still perfect with no signs of slipping. As said before, a lot of people come across this site looking for fixes, although it seems a common problem on the forum it doesn't necessarily mean the clutch is destined to fail.... But even with a well documented problem like the clutch, it still wouldn't stop me buyin a civic. Every other car I looked at just seemed boring next to the civic and if the clutch does go at least you'll know it'll last pretty much forever once upgraded :thumbup:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 12:46

Car: 2009 1.8 EX GT, DSB
I agree forums are generally used for airing frustrations.

Besides the clutch issue you need to look at the whole package, civic's generally are very good cars. Although mine isn't a diesel it's been trouble free for me as was my last car a Honda Accord which I had from new.

Which car do drive at the moment?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th August 2012, 12:52
Supporter

Car: 58 2.2, Black ; 09 CTR, Red
Clutch went at 18K and the warranty one at 37K. At that point gave up and bought a Kevlar one (now 70K).

Other major issues are poor paint (soft) and master cylinder failure amongst others.

Personally, I like my 2.2 but when I recently needed a replacement for another vehicle, decided against the civic diesel for the above reasons.

The civic 2.2 is a good car, just keep a grand available for a new clutch!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Thanks to stevencavanagh from:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th August 2012, 13:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for your common sense comments - sorry it's been a while before I replied. Spent a few days in bed missing the good weather and most of the Olympics with man flu! Only just looking back at my computer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th August 2012, 13:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy View Post
I agree forums are generally used for airing frustrations.

Besides the clutch issue you need to look at the whole package, civic's generally are very good cars. Although mine isn't a diesel it's been trouble free for me as was my last car a Honda Accord which I had from new.

Which car do drive at the moment?
I've had an Alfa 156 Sportwagon diesel for 5 years and had it mild chipped to about 180bhp. It still gives 46+ mpg and only had the clutch replaced at 78k - which is reasonable. Overall its been very reliable (yes - I said reliable - except when driving it into two foot of floods about 3 years ago!) I'm looking for something a bit smaller and not over srtruck on the Alfa 147 and my budget will be limited - the Civic looks to tick all the boxes. I may consider aType R if I look at all costs ie - will the extra for insurance/fuel outweigh an expensive clutch? - though would probably prefer 5 doors
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th August 2012, 19:34
Supporter

Car: 58 2.2, Black ; 09 CTR, Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticadam View Post
I've had an Alfa 156 Sportwagon diesel for 5 years and had it mild chipped to about 180bhp. It still gives 46+ mpg and only had the clutch replaced at 78k - which is reasonable. Overall its been very reliable (yes - I said reliable - except when driving it into two foot of floods about 3 years ago!) I'm looking for something a bit smaller and not over srtruck on the Alfa 147 and my budget will be limited - the Civic looks to tick all the boxes. I may consider aType R if I look at all costs ie - will the extra for insurance/fuel outweigh an expensive clutch? - though would probably prefer 5 doors

I've had a number of clutches for the diesel. However, when needing to replace another vehicle I bought a Type R rather than diesel purely down to the clutch issue. Given the extra costs (tax / fuel / insurance) it's not that big a difference. The diesel averages 42mpg remapped and the Type R 31 mpg. Insurance and extra 200 and a bit of tax. I can live with it and my mileage will be approx 20K in both.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Civinfo > Welcome > Introduce yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page